Bike Stands

quazi-moto

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a Micron rear paddock stand which i've found to be very stable, and used two scissor jacks on each side of the tie rod when I removed the swing arm.

They were stable ish but you have to be careful not to knock the bike. Just need a front paddock stand now to work on the front end.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Here's an American solution. That is what the big hole is for, isn't it?:

455093503_TkyPK-S.jpg

Actually, yes, per Dr. John... also useful for sandwich storage, according to him. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest ratchethack
Hi

I use the Guzzi Shop stand. Bought it after reading conflicting reports here about it's stability. I was quite nervous the first time I ever used. That being said, I find it rock solid and even more stable than I imagined. Figured I must be doing something wrong! LOL. I know Ratchet put a caster on his handle but "bent" it first. Has anyone ever added a cater without bending the handle....would you consider it safe?

Bob

Roger the rock solid stability, Bob. Sorry I missed your post last October. By my experience, the Guzzi stand did take some care while getting used to, alright. But once you're beyond the relatively short learning curve, there's nothing to be afraid of. Doctored up with vinyl caps or short pieces of tubing to protect the pork chops (see photo), it won't nick the paint. I used mine to have the gearbox out and back in without any concern of a tipover. Of course, as a common sense safety measure, it's always a good mandatory "insurance policy" to solidly secure any bike from above against any possibility of disaster, as with any stand used for this extent of work.

The caster I put on mine has been a terrific feature (used it again yesterday). Being able to wheel the bike around anywhere I want with either or both wheels off has provided great flexibility and utility. Now I can't imagine being without this. I used a heavy duty locking caster that adds 3 3/4" vertical. Being able to lock it has proven to be another nice feature. Amazingly enough, this amount of lift doesn't compromise the "over center" stability of the stand. Without having carefully checked on this in advance with a stack of blocks under the stand lever, I wouldn't have considered adding it. Since the wheels of the stand are <2 1/2" dia., of course this limits rolling the stand around with the bike lifted to anything other than on a smooth surface. Adding larger dia. wheels would no doubt extend its mobility while lifted to less than smooth surfaces. Seems easily enough done, but no need in the Hatchracket home moto-shop.

post-1212-1243348913.jpg

The Gent I purchased the Guzzi and stand from had cut and welded in a slight lateral angle in the stand, apparently to clear the OE mufflers, so he could lever it from either side, and forward or backward. The added angle wasn't necessary to add the caster. :luigi:

Guzzi2-1.jpg

Recent tire change with Guzzi lift, MC lift and wood under the front of the sump as well as a car jack under the rear drive. No straps and very stable. Yes, I should have used straps!

Ratch, did you bend the handle on yours or am I remembering incorrectly?

Bob

Guest ratchethack
Ratch, did you bend the handle on yours or am I remembering incorrectly?

(see above post) ;)

Home made version of one viewed here. srap steel and wheels in shed,2 hours work and hey presto :D

bigger wheels help it to roll easier, haven't found a need for one on the handle. Its rock solid and a good balance point between front and rear

Picture_001_Correction_Correction.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had the same problem until I made this stand. Now it's just a breeze to pick the whole bike up. Any motorcycle life will do. Then weld some brackets and tubes to fit the frame. All weight is on the frame.

Ganzo

MC_Lift_001.jpg

Motorcycle_Jack_004.jpg

Had this stand made up locally - variation of the OEM stand. The arm swings through greater than 180 degrees so it will hang flat from a hook on the wall and can have the arm either side of the bike.

The removable arm extension gives good extra mechanical advantage and makes life a bit easier on the now, er.. not so young, back and arms. Great quality job.

P1000428_1.JPG P1000426_1.JPG