how to change a speedo cable

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

I got a new speedo cable from AGOSTINIS, but i wonder, how to get it on. Seems that I can not get the speedo unit up from the housing, and the cable attacts the bottom of the unit. Advice please???.

mogens.

I ordered a new cable for mine. I have the same problem many have with the bend just above the tranny. But as Jaap said, you can just unscrew the cable from the speedometer once you slide the rubber cover down. But you have a fairing blocking access. On a V11 naked such as mine, the speedo is right out in front. The cable unscrews from the tranny too (the knurled part, not the hex). The hardest part will be snaking the cable under the tank. I think I will remove the tank and check the vent and replace the air filter while I'm there. Have fun. Joe

Did mine in the parking lot at the bike shop. No need to remove anything. Unscrew both ends of the dead cable, then place the trans side of the new cable end to end with the upper, speedo end of your old cable. Tape around both to hold them together. Now, gently pull from the trans side to "fish" the old cable out while pulling the new one along, following exactly the old route of the dead cable. Re-attach both ends, done. Good luck, :notworthy::mg::wub: S.H.

• 6 years later...

No way mine would snake thru.  Gino and Freddie made sure of that.  It was sandwiched between the coils in an ugly way.  Pulling in either direction just made the coils twitch just a tad.  I unbolted one of the coils, removed the cable, then relaxed the cable to the most logical, straight way up to the gauges. 

2002 V11 Lemans

Stick

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat related question:  How does one know it's the speedo cable and the not the speedo itself that is an issue?  I have a dead speedo, but I'm not certain that it's the cable....

You could disconnect the cable at the tranny end (ride side of bike), and give it a manual turn by hand to see if the MPH changes. Also, make sure the cable connection is tight at the speedo end. FWIW, when I changed my cable, I just replaced the innards (it pulls out from either ends, once disconnected) and reconnected.

Chances are, your cable just seared off at either end of the connections. Mine happened at the speedo side.

Ken

Somewhat related question:  How does one know it's the speedo cable and the not the speedo itself that is an issue?  I have a dead speedo, but I'm not certain that it's the cable....

You could disconnect the cable at the tranny end (ride side of bike), and give it a manual turn by hand to see if the MPH changes. Also, make sure the cable connection is tight at the speedo end. FWIW, when I changed my cable, I just replaced the innards (it pulls out from either ends, once disconnected) and reconnected.

Chances are, your cable just seared off at either end of the connections. Mine happened at the speedo side.

Ken

Thanks, Ken.  I've pulled the end off the speedo (I was in there anyway, trying to fix a blinker light that was out--it burnt out again, as soon as I buttoned her up, but that's an issue for another post... :) and it was intact, so maybe it's bad on the other end.  I'll give it another shot tomorrow and see if I can pull it through.