How to: Change the front fairing?

Royal690

Hi guys,

My dad recently picked up a Le mans and we were wondering what's involved in changing the stock fairing/windshield to either a naked front end or the cafe racer style fairing. Just from looking quick, it seems that we'll need new brackets to mount the turn signals and headlight. Anyone have any experience with this and/or know what we need to make the switch and where to find a new bracket/fairing??

Thanks,

Jon

From this:

Lemans.jpg

To this:

Naked.jpg

Scura.jpg

I don't think it's hard. You will need a 7 inch Bosch headlamp (shop around and buy a used BMW unit) and the two V11 Sport headlamp brackets. The turnsignals also mount to the brackets. There are a lot of mirror choices, too. I like the naked look better myself. Joe

Good decision! The naked look shows the beauty of the fuel tank. I don't know about wind buffeting w/out (trade-off) any fairing? When it's all said and done, keep all the stock (just in case) stuff and go with the nudie. I thought I was buying a LeMans and got a Sport. I dont' regret it! It has a carbon fiber MG bikiini fairing and I like the looks of it. Look on MGNOC website for a parting out V11 ad for help.

You don't need much at all. I just did a conversion the other way from naked to fairing. Where have you been before? :D In any case there is no need for a different headlight. Headlight on LeMans and Ballabio are identical. I have a Ballabio instrument subframe braket, steering bar, instrument clsuster holder. Its extrmely simple. Couple of leasure hours of wrenching and you are done.

Wow, thanks for all the reply's!!! Still not sure whether or not we'll be going the naked route vs. the small cafe fairing. But if the only big difference is the bracket and possibly a bigger headlight, then the possibility's are endless!!!

What is everyone running for mirrors?? I think I prefer the bar ends but would still like to use the bar end caps to reduce vibration. Is this possible to do???

Guzzirider - thanks for posting the diy, I'm definitely going to take a look at that later today!!!

The Napoleon bar end mirrors absorb some of the vibes.

I imagine smaller bar-end mirrors will absorb proportionally less, but some mill the stock barend weights down to fit the CRG mirrors, so you get the best of both worlds.

The Napoleon bar end mirrors absorb some of the vibes.

I imagine smaller bar-end mirrors will absorb proportionally less, but some mill the stock barend weights down to fit the CRG mirrors, so you get the best of both worlds.

Just curious, where do you guys buy alot of your aftermarkets parts?? Any good online store recommendations?? Looking for mirrors, bar ends, K&N pods, maybe some carbon pieces....

Also if I decide to sell the le mans front fairing, whats a good asking price as I'm not too familiar with what guzzi parts go for?

Thanks again.

Just curious, where do you guys buy alot of your aftermarkets parts?? Any good online store recommendations?? Looking for mirrors, bar ends, K&N pods, maybe some carbon pieces....

Also if I decide to sell the le mans front fairing, whats a good asking price as I'm not too familiar with what guzzi parts go for?

Thanks again.

Where have you been before when I was looking for fairing? :angry2: I carry some mirrors, and brake and clutch levers

For those looking to swap body panels...

Gas tank: The older style (pre 02?) gas tank has an external fuel filter, the newer one an internal filter.

Tailpiece: The older style tailpiece will not fit a newer (post 02?) rear subframe w/o some grinding and cutting, but the newer style tailpiece will fit the older rear subframe quite easily.

These are Sport-to-Sport swaps. The fairing swaps (Lemans to Sport, vice-versa) are more difficult and several orders of magnitude :nerd: beyond my comprehension.

BTW...I have several post 02 (newer) body panels/tanks/wheels/headlight/fairing&windscreen and would like to swap for a Rossa/Nero Corse (or burgundy) gas tank if anyone is interested please PM me.