Lucky again, I guess

dabore84

Yesterday had my last exam for this year. On my way home a car behind me started to honking, the driver d me that my side stand wasn't retracted. :o

I drove about half a mile in a city and all the turns that I took were to the RIGHT. So I guess the little angel on my bike protected me.

angel.JPG

On further inspection, the micro switch isn't making contact with the side stand. There is a piece missing. In the past the side stand switch worked correctly, because this wasn't the first time I forgot my side stand(my 2nd) . So check once in a while if your switch is working. :grin:

Guest britbiker
Yesterday had my last exam for this year. On my way home a car behind me started to honking, the driver d me that my side stand wasn't retracted. :o

I drove about half a mile in a city and all the turns that I took were to the RIGHT. So I guess the little angel on my bike protected me.

post-6265-1215262989_thumb.jpg

On further inspection, the micro switch isn't making contact with the side stand. There is a piece missing. In the past the side stand switch worked correctly, because this wasn't the first time I forgot my side stand(my 2nd) . So check once in a while if your switch is working. :grin:

Don't worry, I do it every couple of months. My sidestand switch was disconnected by the PO. What happens is that as you dip to the left the road retracts it for you and the resulting clang reminds you how stupid you've been, that's all.

Don't worry, I do it every couple of months. My sidestand switch was disconnected by the PO. What happens is that as you dip to the left the road retracts it for you and the resulting clang reminds you how stupid you've been, that's all.

Not so sure that is the only consequence...seems to me that on of our members wiped out his LeMans as the downed sidestand caused the bike to wobble and crash.

Which is a scenario entirely plausable...I drove off with a downed sidestand ONCE on a Ducati (96 900 SS/CR) and it caught at about 10 mph and scared the hair right offa my head!

You've been lucky. Even a bike like my '86 Goldwing that had a rubber "finger" to extend the length of the sidestand so it would brush back before the stand could actually lever the bike off its wheel(s) was a hairy experience every time you forgot to put the stand up; the 1st left turn and YIPES :o you knew you'd forgotten to put it up, and sure thanked the early victims that caused Honda to re-engineer the sidestand to include the rubber extension...

I wonder if that rubber pad can be retrofitted to our bikes? Seems like cheap backup for the sidestand kill switch. Might also help w/ hooking your boot on the stand to deploy it... ;)

• 2 months later...
You've been lucky. Even a bike like my '86 Goldwing that had a rubber "finger" to extend the length of the sidestand so it would brush back before the stand could actually lever the bike off its wheel(s) was a hairy experience every time you forgot to put the stand up; the 1st left turn and YIPES :o you knew you'd forgotten to put it up, and sure thanked the early victims that caused Honda to re-engineer the sidestand to include the rubber extension...

I wonder if that rubber pad can be retrofitted to our bikes? Seems like cheap backup for the sidestand kill switch. Might also help w/ hooking your boot on the stand to deploy it... ;)

So Im not the onnly one...I have four mtorcycle and have been riding for 30years counting dirt bikes and the only bike I cant seem to remember to get the %$#@ side stand up is on my 1100 sport. girlfriend followed me for several miles honking trying to get my attention, yeah like I can hear a horn honk above the sound of a guzzi at 4500RPM with mistrel pipes.......Ive left it down maybe 5 or 6 times now.....rookie move eh?!