Frustration with front uni-joint

Woody

Hi All,

Have read all the threads dealing with this lubricating this joint but so far have been thwarted with a workable solution. I have the back wheel off and the bevel box removed so the shaft is accessible. Have tried a swivel tip extension even ground down and still can't get it over the zirc. Just tried an injector needle; got it into the zirc but the grease just squirts back out the zirc when I squeeze the handle rather than entering the joint.

What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi All,

Have read all the threads dealing with this lubricating this joint but so far have been thwarted with a workable solution. I have the back wheel off and the bevel box removed so the shaft is accessible. Have tried a swivel tip extension even ground down and still can't get it over the zirc. Just tried an injector needle; got it into the zirc but the grease just squirts back out the zirc when I squeeze the handle rather than entering the joint.

What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Woody,

Disconnect the rear shock from the swingarm. That'll give you just enough clearance to be able to use the swivel tip. When you reconnect the shock to the swingarm, don't forget to slather some marine grade grease on the long bolt the shock pivots on.

Woody, How many miles, and what kind of weather do you ride in? Maybe dropping the shock will be good, and the "crud"/blockage will pop. A driveshaft is over $700.00, and I hear that front u-joint going dry is the main culprit in the shaft failure. And I have PERSONALLY been a witness to a lack of lubing on my cush drive with only 5500 miles on the odometer at 1st tire change (MAN, what a difference!!!). If the grease is just backing out the zerk with the needle tip, you MAY want to consider pulling the swing arm. Then you can be certain the the problem isn't a dried/crusty bearing, you can do the swing arm bearings and other maintenence at the same time, and you're good to go, with confidence in a well maintained bike :thumbsup: Good Luck, S.H.

Thanks for the quick replys guys. To answer your question SH, the bike has about 7K miles on it and has been ridden mostly in dry conditions. I don't believe the problem ins crud blockage as I get the same result when injecting grease into the zirc on the rear part of the shaft connected to the bevel box which should pose no resistence to the flow of grease when disconnected from the front part of the shaft. Indeed, I can replace the needle with a normal grease gun fitting and freely inject grease into the open area where the forward splines normally fit when the shaft is together.

Woody do a search On " greasing the front uj" I would post the link but am incapable, anyway you will see the mod made by moscowphil on the grease gun fitting and tube, i made one and it was a breeze to grease the front nipple.

Gary :bier:

Eureka!

Thanks for the reference Gary; that finally did the trick. Using a propane torch I was able to put enough of a bend in the pipe to slip it over the zirc. Didn't have a flex tube so ended up coupling two rigid tubes together to give me some room to get the gun positioned at the right angle.

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions.

Lee

I still don't understand it how you guy's do it??????????? is there someone in belgium or holland who wants to help me with this shit-job? I am willing to ride a lot of km's to get the job done!

HELP

Pille, you could just visit your dealer.......

else take out : wheel, reardrive, swingarm and then dismount the unijoint from the swingarm, then you have it in your hands and should be easy to get the grease in, or take it to a shop that does it for you.