tps replacement

fotoguzzi

Guest frankdugo

can't say anything about them being the same as ev or harley #don't think i've heard of one going bad though. they are prone to corrosion because of the opening at the top.i took mine out and cleaned & anti-seized---works fine.think that the trick is getting it back to the correct position , which with a thread search here you'll find much info. i have the technoresearch program from guzzitech which makes it a lot easier.now----the bad news first-- greasing the front universal. the good---it's a great bike

I thought mine might have a notch or groove worn in it because at a steady 4,000rpm it hunts/surges and sputters but I can't get the symptoms anywhere else but right around 4-5grand rpm. elsewhere in the rev range it works smooth and perfect. I have done a baseline tps setting, set idle at 525mv and TB sync.

IMG_0872.jpg

#1 Do you own and can you use a (digital volt/ohm meter) DVOM? If so, hook it up and watch a "sweep" of the entire range of the TPS voltage. Do this slowly and watch for glitches. It wil probably be ok, since the majority of wear will be at normal (highway speed) throttle opening.

#2 Does this bike have ANY modifications? If it has a Powercommander or any device in the circuit between the wiring harness and ECM, unhook it and run it without it to see if the problem is still there. If it changes, the Powercommander needs to be "remapped". This should be done by a professional. They know what to look for in changing parameters on the remapping.

HTH!!!!!!!!

I will try to find the spot w/my V meter, good idea... FYI, the HD TPS can be had for 34.00 from chicagoharley.com. the bike is stock 8k miles no PC.

I will also drill the hole and clean it.

I will try to find the spot w/my V meter, good idea... FYI, the HD TPS can be had for 34.00 from chicagoharley.com. the bike is stock 8k miles no PC.

I will also drill the hole and clean it.

If it does need replacement, yes the harley tps will work.

The Harley TPS has a slightly different relationship of voltage versus throttle position.

The plots of the Harley and Moto Guzzi versions are somewhere in the forum. There are also techical discussions on the effect of the differences. My recollection is that it will work, with the main difference lying in the midrange of position. Mixture and timing advance are affected.

If you're interested and cannot find the topics, send me a personal message. I'm traveling just now, but when I get back to home base next week, I can supply you the info.

Some riders, including me, have closed off the gap to prevent water from dropping down into the throttle body. Others have said they don't think there is any risk to the sensor. I used gray silicon rubber, and feathered in a fillet with a wet fingertip. It blends in with the aluminum body, and looks like it belongs there. Cheap insurance, in my opinion.

regards

Are they both MagnetiMarelli ? You don't need to drill holes in anything. You can introduce things you don't want in the TPS. Anything you spray into the sensor should or could cause problems. A conductor like "anti-sieze", if it is placed in the TPS WILL cause problems. BTW, how much is the TPS from Guzzi? I would consider patronizing them first! They have to stay in business too.

The Harley TPS has a slightly different relationship of voltage versus throttle position.

The plots of the Harley and Moto Guzzi versions are somewhere in the forum. There are also techical discussions on the effect of the differences. My recollection is that it will work, with the main difference lying in the midrange of position. Mixture and timing advance are affected.

If you're interested and cannot find the topics, send me a personal message. I'm traveling just now, but when I get back to home base next week, I can supply you the info.

Some riders, including me, have closed off the gap to prevent water from dropping down into the throttle body. Others have said they don't think there is any risk to the sensor. I used gray silicon rubber, and feathered in a fillet with a wet fingertip. It blends in with the aluminum body, and looks like it belongs there. Cheap insurance, in my opinion.

regards

Thanks I did find all theat previous stuff in search but didn't find any HD mentioned.

Are they both MagnetiMarelli ? You don't need to drill holes in anything. You can introduce things you don't want in the TPS. Anything you spray into the sensor should or could cause problems. A conductor like "anti-sieze", if it is placed in the TPS WILL cause problems. BTW, how much is the TPS from Guzzi? I would consider patronizing them first! They have to stay in business too.

what? I'm a member of the cheap asz Guzzi club... last I heard the MG TPS was north of 232.00 before the dollar tanked. That savings gets me half way to the HB mounts I need and I will get them from a MG dealer, OK?

they are both Mag/Marelli with one digit off on their part #... I'll give a report if I use it.

don't think i've heard of one going bad though.

maybe they don't fail often on V11 sport versions because they are mounted on top.. But the EV riders are always replacing them it seems like.

and whats with the torx bit bolt head? stupid or what. I'm gonna replace em w/hex bolts. I didn't even know they used torx heads in europe.

Guest frankdugo
maybe they don't fail often on V11 sport versions because they are mounted on top.. But the EV riders are always replacing them it seems like.

and whats with the torx bit bolt head? stupid or what. I'm gonna replace em w/hex bolts. I didn't even know they used torx heads in europe.

maby thats why they put them on ---to keep euro owners from messing with them.just guzzi bein guzzi i guess.

I have a rough spot in the rev range right at 4,000RPM, can't replicate it anywhere else, the motor sputters and surges...

Here's my theory: based on the original front tire being totally worn out from the crown in the road at 7800 miles I think the PO was a commuter. He basically got on the freeway, jammed up to 5th or 6th gear and locked it down at 4kRPM drove on for 70/90 whatever miles/ day after day, rain or shine.. The bike shows some wear to the rubber stuff, it was in the rain.. (I think in Indiana).. that spot on the TPS got a little worn or notched from always running 4k.. hence the stutter at only that spot.. what do you think?

I replaced it tonight w/a HD TPS (cost 34. +7 shipping) took a quick test ride after resetting the base level at 150mv and checking the idle setting (it was 482mv or something) I'll refine that this weekend. it didn't do the symptoms now as I rode a steady 4,000rpm in both 2nd and 3rd gear. am I right and have solved it? time will tell.

One kind of disturbing thing was under the TPS the butterfly stem etc was RUSTY! should I worry?

IMG_0895.jpg

here's what I used to fix the speedo mounts that kept falling apart.

IMG_0880.jpg

I have two week vacation starting NOW... hope to ride a lot on both my working Guzzi's.

IMG_0891.jpg

thanks for that link, interesting...I have a K&N filter so maybe a little more air flow will work well with the slightly higher fueling from the HD TPS.. gonna have to test ride more!

what about the rusty stem?