how many v11?

pille

just wondering, how many v11 have been made? they started in 1998(?) and stopped in?

how many with a red frame, how many scura's, tenni's, coppa italia, lemans,..........

I am really curious what the numbers are.

pille

+3, 2003 LM :bier: I go on a couple trips each year ranging from 2 to 3 nights with day rides being more frequent, and I've never seen another V11. Many people have stopped to look at my bike. Going to Gettysburg, Pa was funny because everyone and their mother is on a Harley and here I am riding through on my V11 that sounds like a small block Chevy according to my buds, needless to say I got a lot of looks/comments.

just wondering, how many v11 have been made? they started in 1998(?) and stopped in?

how many with a red frame, how many scura's, tenni's, coppa italia, lemans,..........

I am really curious what the numbers are.

pille

Ask Ivan de Gier [while you still can; he's been battling cancer...]

I've got an outstanding order w/ Amazon for the latest Ian Faloon volume on Guzzi's history, updated through 2005. He's usually pretty good about listing all the stats [usually attributed in significant proportion to Ivan], so maybe I'll have an answer to this question sometime in Nov. [when the book is supposed to arrive. No guarantees; it won't be the 1st time Amazon unilaterally cancels one of my orders I already reaffirmed I wanted kept open because I failed to respond to a message they never sent... :glare:]

But it's a pretty safe bet that fewer than 2000/yr were made over the lifespan of the design ['98 - '04; there were no '05s, just leftover '04s sold as '05s, iirc], so that means 35000 bikes a year and having trouble keeping the pipeline full!

The few, the proud, the Moto Guzzi V11 Eagles... :thumbsup:

That's a pretty pitiful total when you consider that over that same interval, H-D was churning out >35000 bikes a year and having trouble keeping the pipeline full!

You left off a number on the HD production numbers. They peaked in '05/'06 at around 350,000 units.

MY '08 is supposed to have been 328,000... About 90,000 are exports, so that leaves about 240,000 units sold in the USA...

I've got an outstanding order w/ Amazon for the latest Ian Faloon volume on Guzzi's history, updated through 2005. He's usually pretty good about listing all the stats [usually attributed in significant proportion to Ivan], so maybe I'll have an answer to this question sometime in Nov. [when the book is supposed to arrive. No guarantees; it won't be the 1st time Amazon unilaterally cancels one of my orders I already reaffirmed I wanted kept open because I failed to respond to a message they never sent... :glare:]

But it's a pretty safe bet that fewer than 2000/yr were made over the lifespan of the design ['98 - '04; there were no '05s, just leftover '04s sold as '05s, iirc], so that means 35000 bikes a year and having trouble keeping the pipeline full!

The few, the proud, the Moto Guzzi V11 Eagles... :thumbsup:

These numbers are pretty close from my enquiries. While limited production bikes like the Tenni, and Rosso numbered I think around 300, I've more or less confirmed numbers of the green, red framed early V11's at around 450 a year, so, essentially anything that comes out of Mandello, for decades, is limited production.

Comparing these numbers to HD, with over 300,000 bikes a year, gives you the impression that Guzzi is tiny. Compare Guzzi production with Laverdas best years, with annual production of the Jota at 100 bikes a yr, and it looks much bigger. Laverda did step up production when the started making the RGS though, to 120 bikes a yr for each model!!

Steve

You left off a number on the HD production numbers. They peaked in '05/'06 at around 350,000 units.

Yes, I was being intentionally conservative, 35k/yr was a number I recall was accurate for H-D production some time mid-90s, so very fair to Guzzi for comparison. The 350k peak was after they got the new Sportster plant in Kansas up & running, York was solely FLs & STs, and the Dynas were still being assembled in Milwaukee. Not certain if that includes Buell's production #s too (but think so, since Harley brought it back to a wholly-owned subsidiary around 2002, iirc...)

We'll see how The Motor Co. fares these next couple years; they've been pretty conservative w/ the dividends even when they were flying high, I suspect because they've weathered enough economic down cycles over the past 105 years that they like to maintain a strong cash balance...

Meanwhile, Guzzi is now a tiny division of an airplane company: let's hope Piaggio keeps our eagles flying high long past their 100th birthday; let's all plan on meeting in Mandello in 2021! :thumbsup:

Yes, I was being intentionally conservative, 35k/yr was a number I recall was accurate for H-D production some time mid-90s, so very fair to Guzzi for comparison. The 350k peak was after they got the new Sportster plant in Kansas up & running, York was solely FLs & STs, and the Dynas were still being assembled in Milwaukee. Not certain if that includes Buell's production #s too (but think so, since Harley brought it back to a wholly-owned subsidiary around 2002, iirc...)

We'll see how The Motor Co. fares these next couple years; they've been pretty conservative w/ the dividends even when they were flying high, I suspect because they've weathered enough economic down cycles over the past 105 years that they like to maintain a strong cash balance...

Meanwhile, Guzzi is now a tiny division of an airplane company: let's hope Piaggio keeps our eagles flying high long past their 100th birthday; let's all plan on meeting in Mandello in 2021! :thumbsup:

I didn't realize Piaggio built airplanes?? What kind?

I know that MV Agusta still makes helicopters.

Steve

I didn't realize Piaggio built airplanes?? What kind?

I know that MV Agusta still makes helicopters.

Steve

Business jets, turboprops, that sort. I wonder if they're going to roll Aprillia under their banner like they did Guzzi or if they'll spin it off once they kill off 'priller's scooter division? [Which was the real reason they bought Aprillia in '05, so they could eliminate their local competition in the scooter market... getting Guzzi in the deal was just a "bonus.";)]

MV Agusta does not make aeroplanes.

Agusta does. AgustaWestland builds helicopters.

They are two different companies and have been for decades. The current MV Agusta has no real relationship to the original...

MV Agusta:

"The company began as an offshoot of the Agusta aviation company which was formed by Count Giovanni Agusta in 1923. The Count died in 1927, leaving the company in the hands of his wife and sons, Domenico, Vincenzo, Mario and Corrado. Count Vincenzo Agusta together with his brother Domenico formed MV Agusta (the MV stood for Meccanica Verghera) at the end of the Second World War as a means to save the jobs of employees of the Agusta firm and also to fill the post-war need for cheap, efficient transportation. They produced their first prototype, ironically called "Vespa 98", in 1945. After learning of that that the name had already been registered by Piaggio for its Vespa motorscooter, it was referred to simply by the number “98”.

The company successfully manufactured small-displacement, quintessential Café racer style motorcycles (mostly 125-150 cc) through the 1950s and 1960s. In the 60s small motorcycle sales declined, and MV started producing larger displacement cycles in more limited quantities. A 250 cc, and later a smart 350 cc twin were produced, and a 600 cc four-cylinder evolved into a 750 cc which is still extremely valuable today.

Following the death of Count Domenico Agusta in 1971 the company declined and by 1980, it stopped producing motorcycles altogether.

Cagiva purchased the MV Agusta name trademarks in 1991 and in 1997 it introduced the first new MV Agusta motorcycle."

Agusta:

"(now part of AgustaWestland) is an Italian helicopter manufacturer. It is based in the Varese province of Italy, with its main manufacturing plant being at Cascina Costa. It is a subsbidiary of Finmeccanica.

The company was founded by Giovanni Agusta, who flew his first airplane in 1907.

From 1952 the company got involved in helicopter manufacturing, first licence-building Bell helicopters, but later Sikorsky, Boeing and McDonnell Douglas products as well.

The company also had ambitions to design and build its own helicopters. The Agusta A.101 and the Agusta A.106 can be considered the best of its earlier attempts. Others included the AB.102, A.103, A.104, and A.115. It also produced a small line of aero engines such as the GA.70 and GA.140.

Developed in the 1970s, the Agusta A109 has undoubtedly been the company's biggest success. The A109 is a commercial and military twin turbine helicopter, of which the latest variants are still in production, hundreds having already been sold.

In 1983 the Agusta A129 Mangusta anti-tank helicopter partook in its first official flight engagement. It was the first attack helicopter to be designed and produced entirely within Europe."

Well what a strange :wacko: world we live in, especially the world of Italian bike manufacturers, Harley :( now own M.V.Augusta............My poor brother just about had a fit when he found out (he's the owner of a M.V. 910 Brutale....Stars Wars type rocket ship)

The only thing I really know about the numbers of V 11's produced is that there were :sun: 170 Tenni's :wub: made, of which we have about 1/3 here on this site.

:bier:

Cheers

Van

Well what a strange :wacko: world we live in, especially the world of Italian bike manufacturers, Harley :( now own M.V.Augusta...

:bier:

Cheers

Van

If I'm not mistaken, Harley only bought the European dealerships, not the actual marquee. It was to expand their Euro dealership network NOW, instead of the time/investment of building/renting/leasing. Plus, you show the sporty guys your MV's, and Buells, and the aging sportbike guys have a place to look at their possible future, and trade the old one in, all at the same place you then frequent the rest of your motorcycling days... At least that's what a guy at work told me, and he pays way more attention to the business page than me.