marzocchi forks

gavo

Help please Ive checked the threads but can.t find what I want. Problem 2001 mandello marzocchi usd forks compression ajust on one leg, rebound on the other ajusted by srew in the middle of 19mm nut on cap. nut undoes cap so far then just clicks and won't come off. never dismantled usd forks before. :huh:

Make sure the front end is raised up so that you dont have a fork oil bath. Once you get the load off the forks loosen both caps together until they are almost off, then they should spin off by hand. If you try to take a cap off while the bike is not jacked up you could get very seriously injured. I think the clicking sound was the rod spinning around in the fork because there was too much pressure on the spring.

Make sure the front end is raised up so that you dont have a fork oil bath. Once you get the load off the forks loosen both caps together until they are almost off, then they should spin off by hand. If you try to take a cap off while the bike is not jacked up you could get very seriously injured. I think the clicking sound was the rod spinning around in the fork because there was too much pressure on the spring.

no the wheel was well clear of the ground

Guest frankdugo

have never had that problem with the nut not coming off.i always remove the forks from the bike as the factory sez.you could try removing the wheel and draining the fluid

Guest ratchethack
Help please Ive checked the threads but can.t find what I want. Problem 2001 mandello marzocchi usd forks compression ajust on one leg, rebound on the other ajusted by srew in the middle of 19mm nut on cap. nut undoes cap so far then just clicks and won't come off. never dismantled usd forks before. :huh:

Gavo, you haven't indicated how many miles on your Rosso Mandello, but being 7 years old, it may need service.

I did a write-up a few years back on fork oil change and setting air gap on the Marz 040 fork (yours are same as mine) that will take you through dismantling, and covers critically important items as spring rates and preload as part of proper setup. See link:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...960&hl=Marz

Hope this helps. :luigi:

It has unscrewed all the way but the rod and the weight of the lower assembly is pulling on the cap. If the wheel is still on there is even more weight. With the wheel on, back off both caps (until they are clicking) and jack up the wheel. The caps will rise together and then you can hold the jam nut and break it free of the rod. If the wheel is off then just push up on the lower tube to get the cap up and away from the upper tube to expose the jam nut.

It has unscrewed all the way but the rod and the weight of the lower assembly is pulling on the cap. If the wheel is still on there is even more weight. With the wheel on, back off both caps (until they are clicking) and jack up the wheel. The caps will rise together and then you can hold the jam nut and break it free of the rod. If the wheel is off then just push up on the lower tube to get the cap up and away from the upper tube to expose the jam nut.

Thanks I'll give it another go after the weekend :rolleyes:

I find it much easier to service the forks after removing them from the bike. You will need to compress the spring to get at the nut where the damper rod attaches to the fork cap. This is easier with the forks seperate from the bike. I have a nail at the right height off the floor of my shed so that I can compress the spring and use the nail to hold it compressed while I undo the cap. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

right , I have the left fork leg in pieces on the bench and plan to get new springs. The brass ajuster for the compression broke were u insert the screwdriver(I hardly touched it honest) the brass seems soft so I might get a couple of stainless ones made. My prob is when I removed the ajuster from the fork cap a small steel ball fell out and I'm not sure how its located in the cap, "Ratchethack" u seem to know these forks well any help much appreciated, I will b contacting the local guzzi dealer tomrrow t c if Ican get a workshop manual and price the ajusters :rolleyes: