The MyECU thread

raz

Hi all - this is my first post - love your work! I have read it over and over. I now have a My15M, self build option.

Two confessions to start with ..

1 It is not in a MG, but a Duc 900SSie, but hey I am only twisted by 90 degrees. A good friend has a Rossa and will try out My15M ..... so am I excused?

2 I am an Excel addict, hence this post to give back something to this forum.

Since starting the My15M self build option, fun in itself, but have learnt a lot by reading this and that, Cliff's web pages and massive input from "Greenmonster" so I now understand enough to not have to use the manual in its various forms! Once it all clicks into place it is very functional and easy to use.

I have done one thing that may help you and others.

I found text editing to be cumbersome, so I did a workbook that allowed me to use text copied from the ecu file into an Excel spreadsheet, then convert each part of the map (array) to individual cells, then modify entries in any cell, then have a final spreadsheet that allowed me to copy all the mods back as text.

The workbook is set up in 3 main sheets. Step 1 is the sheet where you paste the text from the ecu file. Step 2 is the sheet where you modify the map cell by cell, then step 3 is the sheet that has converted step 2 back to text for copying and pasting to a text file.

I have put some instructions on each sheet, so hopefully this will make life easier for all.

I have protected some sheets only so the important bits do not get stuffed up. There is no password, so just go Tools, Protection, unprotect sheet, then you are in and can expand on the functionality as you see fit. E.g. write notes to yourself on why and what happened etc.

Feel free to share it with whoever you want. Thanks for your unknowing brilliant assistance.

This site does not allow me to upload an Excel file, so send me a pm and I will send the file. Better still, if someone can tell me how to put the file onto one of my web pages via frontPage 2002, I will gladly set up a new page for MyECU with a button to get the file.

Richard

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heck, I'm interested & I don't even have a MYxx ecu! :)

Looking forward to checking out the spreadsheet just to see how you worked this magic [i don't really use Excel much, but my coworkers who use it even less think I'm a wizard! Hahahahahaha! :lol: Anyway, your description has piqued my curiosity...]

OK guys here is the Excel spreadsheet: MyECU EzyEdit.xls

I haven't got time to test it at all except it does clear my antivirus program and it seems to load fine in OpenOffice 3.0 too. And it does look well made.

I'm looking forward to check it out this evening.

Thanks Richard!

:bier:

I've tested a little. I can report it works as a charm with OpenOffice too. Very well made, it just works with no effort from the user. Paste, edit, copy back.

For operations that suits Excel this is a real time saver. Thanks again!

From the map:

# Pressure - mV and mB values defines a line representing the air pressure conversion

MyECU Cfg Pressure=249mV,121mB,4751mV,1060mB

What does it mean?

Is this altitude mapping? Or MAP?

If not, where is barometric pressure mapping?

Is this altitude mapping? Or MAP?

If not, where is barometric pressure mapping?

It is for barometric pressure and/or altitude mapping. There is no difference, you just compensate for air pressure regardless of if it varies because of weather or altitude.

I used the Optimizer mBar display as a rough indication of relative altitude when I crossed the alps. A 10 mBar change means about 100 m. The real formula is much more complex but this gives a ballpark figure.

That line in the map defines the pressure sensor characteristics. The 15M uses 3 different types. All are linear. In that line you define the 2 endpoints for it - voltage,pressure.

Ah, yes I failed to see the actual question. So these values let the ECU know the absolute pressure in mBar from the sensor voltage. Then there is of course some kind of mapping, or rather fixed formula, between this pressure and how it affects air density, which in term affects how to enrich or lean the mixture to compensate for this. I guess these formulas are not visible because it wouldn't make sense to change them - they are just plain old physics laws.

Since you guys are getting into the excel stuff, here is a file I use to compare my changes. Cut and paste your original and current map, then you can see the percent of change and also a graph, with injector durations at 20deg & 40deg. Feel free to use it, add to it, distort, twist or maim at your leisure.

I just zipped the xls file.

compare.zip

Just to clear things up for me and maybe someone else about what`s involved in starting:

From My ECU user manual:

This table is very important in starting the bike. While the RPM is less than the first column ( 500 RPM ), ie when turning on the starter motor, the Prime table is used to determine the amount of fuel. The value here represents the number of milliseconds the injector is fired for EACH cycle.The values used depend on the oil/coolant temperature. NOTE: Throttle is ignored while cranking.

From Getting started w MyECU:

the throttle is ignored completely.

During stage 1. the throttle is ignored completely. This allows flooding to be cleared by opening the throttle. The injector duration is controlled only by the "Prime" line in the map. The sparkadvance comes from either the map if TDCWhileCranking=0 or is zero degrees if TDCWhileCranking=1. The latter should be used if there is any kick back from the engine.

As I get it (together w previous info in this thread):

When starting, fuel is determined by the Prime table only. Period. Guess you were right, raz.

If TDCWhileCranking= is set to 1, ECU is not using either Injection dur nor Spark adv values row 1 (500 RPM). Right?

No use of even filling in Injector duration row 1 or? :o Or maybe you must bacause row 2 has to relate to row 1?

Those w starting kickback problems should try TDCWhileCranking=0 and try to find better ign timing f starting, default seems to be 1.

Crank Boost is for the extra juice seconds after started.

Please do correct me if I`m wrong! :rolleyes:

TDCWhileCranking= value only affects the spark. The spark will fire at TDC when this value is set to 1. Otherwise the advance is taken from the spark advance table - 0,0 (i don't think throttle affects this but I'm not sure at the moment).

Kick back could also be due to too much fuel, Try reducing the prime and injdur 0,0 values by 10%

Try reducing the prime and injdur 0,0 values by 10%

This must mean that not only the Prime injection table rules how much gas at starting?

Then, w f e 4 ms at 0,0 & 12 ms Prime when starting at 20 C, we get 16 ms at starting?!?

Again, from From Getting started w MyECU:

The injector duration is controlled only by the "Prime" line in the map.

To elaborate a little on Hubert's concise summary, the ECU considers "we are cranking" not by sensing the starter or anything like that, but only the fact the engine does rotate but makes less than 500 rpm. So when for a split second (just when it comes alive) it runs at say 600 rpm, the (0,0) cells are used, not the Prime line nor the TDCWhileCranking. So a high ignition advance in that cell can still kick the engine back to a full stop.

Also, I figure when the engine is idling and the engine for one reason or the other go down a little too much in speed, a good selection of values (both spark and fuel) in the (0,0) cells will hopefully help it to recover.

These are just a couple of thoughts, I haven't had time or need to experiment much with this yet.