The MyECU thread

raz

I wouldn't call it a mistake but I'm happy it's configurable. Even with TDC Cranking you will benefit from having sane values at 500 rpm (or whatever you've got in first column) since that column will still be used before coming up to normal idle speed. As soon as we pass 500 rpm the ECU will still read the map.

So why did our bikes start easier w TDC=0 then?

Some parameters must`ve changed.

TDC seems bad f me before it actually fires, backfires etc.

Edit: Thx f PC advice, raz, will try that1

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, TDC Cranking=0 is really smooth f me as f Punch, maybe a Duc thing (+pasotibbs... ;) )

Default being 1 is a mistake as I see it, easy to overlook and you work w the table f no use when it is not enabled.

Yes, I could have read the manual better but still think 0 default is more customer friendly.

Some garage inj timing tests tonight:

Set at 300, good/fast response at lower RPM/TPS.

But, 300 at row 600 starting RPM, kickbacks, 517 smooth start again.

Btw, pasotibbs, are you a Paso owner?

paso.JPG 16years and counting !!

17" Astralites, Dell'orto Carb conversion, CBX750 headlights...

But, 300 at row 600 starting RPM, kickbacks, 517 smooth start again.

Kickbacks basically are a good thing: it means good ignition, just at the wrong time. What do you think of TDC=1 and inj advance at 300?

Hubert

Yes. It works fine. The trick is to load the map first and then the logfile if you want to translate it with ECUControl. The rest, parameters and so, is described on Cliff's site.

Once you have a good long logfile for your typical route then evaluate (Excel) in which map areas you're typically running your bike. You'll then find this sigma thingens not very useful I'm afraid.

Do you have a good terminal emulation for PocketPC by the way?

Hubert

Two or more things

I posted the Sigma info because it was useful to me, as someone new to this, in case someone else also needed to understand the basics of maps. Like when I post on Duc forums, I post on the basis that a newbie is looking for info and may not know anything. This may offend those that already know, but I view it as part of "our" desire to educate . . . just my attitude/approach.

In the same vein as above, this is a "Dummies" request - Hubert can you provide an idiots guide (for me!) on what to do please. I have My15M and a Laptop with a serial port, it is just all the info/bits/cables/instructions in between that I do not know!

A stepby step guide would be really appreciated, then I can post back results. Richard

Stay easy, Richard, nobody felt offended :) It's just that I once came over the same map (isn't it a PC like device?) and later found it less helpfull as I did then when I was a beginner just as you're now.

The problem is, that in the meantime I found things to be a bit different as they're discribed by Sigma. Under static conditions this might be helpfull, but then it's no problem to autotune a nice map to given O2 targets. It's exactly as Cliff once said: go to a certain, easy running point, hit autotune, and then roll out the map as you do it with pizza duff.

The problem is, and this is not covered by Sigma, that you don't float through the map, instead you jump up and down through the cells, opening/closing the throttle. It's a bit tricky to describe the effects here, face to face it would be easier :( To smooth out the transition, that's the challenge. Enter a bend under load, close the throttle a bit for rolling, close it more for corrections, then tear it up for pulling out - this is where you'll see whether your map is usable or not. Not to fall down into lean or overly rich.

BTW, I do not run the lowest cells overly rich, I run them near zero.

Tonight I'll make a logfile and post the HowTo step for step. I can't describe it now. I needed email support those days :grin:

cu,

Hubert

Sorry if it seemed i was offended/aggressive - that was never the intent - that is the problem with the written word, rather than face to face preferably over a beer or two, just having arrived on a bike!

The Sigma stuff was just part of my learning curve to recognise that we sometimes slow down, after accelerating and therefore understanding the intricacies/sectors of maps. Very big learning curve for me which is why this forum is so good, given that CJs site only becomes clear when you know, unfortunately not when one is on the learning curve.

An idiots guide would be brilliant as I want to get the best from my bike and to me logging as much data as possible will let me analyse what is happening in the blink of an eye, but in my own time. My Ducati ECU works fine (far too rich) but my view is that if there is something extra/better I want to access it. Don't know why, just the attitude that what is good can be better, which is why I mod even my own mods day after day.

Richard

Sorry if it seemed i was offended/aggressive - that was never the intent - that is the problem with the written word, rather than face to face preferably over a beer or two, just having arrived on a bike! ....

It's not just the written words, we even speak in different tongues :grin:

The Sigma stuff was just part of my learning curve to recognise that we sometimes slow down, after accelerating and therefore understanding the intricacies/sectors of maps. Very big learning curve for me which is why this forum is so good, given that CJs site only becomes clear when you know, unfortunately not when one is on the learning curve.

Hm, I don't know if I would hold a more detailed site if I'd do things like this MyEcu. And as he writes on his site: he's not Marelli or Bosch with a customer service departement and so on.

Besides that, when I got my MK1 some years ago, I plugged it in and was literally airborne. The unit worked perfectly (after a minor layout glitch based on a Guzzi glitch was corrected) and I always got all the support I needed. But I know what you mean. The relation "written words" to "received words" sometimes could have been a little better. So maybe I should write: I always got the support I really needed ;)

Now to Hypertterminal:

1. Open the explorer

2. Right click on C:\

3. Search for "hypertrm.exe"

4. Create a shortcut of it on the desktop

5. Open the shortcut

6. Enter a name for the new connection (My15M e.g.)

7. Go to the last line and switch from Modem xy to COM1

8. Enter 38000, 8, None, 1, None - OK

9. click on File - Properties

10. goto second page

11. go down to ASCII-Configuration

12. under RECEIVE (not send) check the first line: add CR at end of received lines. This is important! (and a secret trick because it's on the 5th subpage or so)

13. ok - ok (-ok?)

14. click the 5th option: Transfer (or so) - Save Text (or maybe Copy Text, not Send Text)

15. Click on Browse and say where you want to find the log file. - Click Start

16. Click on FILE - SAVE AS - .... This will make the whole thing easier the next time :)

17. Under TRANSFER (the 5th command) - RECORD TEXT (or how it's called in English) you can stop, restart or cancel the logging.

18. Close Hypertrm and you have your logfile.

Open ECUControl - read map from file (also very important - that's the compiler table so to say) - click on ECU Diagnostics - click on logfile (a copy preferably, shit happens) (option ALL FILES) - enter the name for the parsed file - click ok.

If you think nothing has happened, then look for the parsed file: the translation goes lightning fast :)

That's all. Not really impressive once you have done it sometimes. In fact boring a bit. Because now you have such a huge amount of information that you have to be a good excel hero or a good script, pearl or whatever programmer to get behind all these numbers. Its a bit difficult because very seldom you'll have information for exact cells, and if so then in most cases only for a short moment. I guess some statistical excel knowledge won't hurt.

A short 2 minutes preview is uploaded here (picture only, sorry):

test_parsed.png

Hubert

Heh, this brings back memories from half a year ago...

One suggestion for Cliff: the ECUControl program should be able to output a log file while running, so we don't need HyperTerminal. That way we also wouldn't have to choose between controlling and logging.
What do you have in mind? Controling and logging while you have the bike standing in the garage or logging and controling while driving. Sounds a bit like "have a drink, have a ride...(Mungo Jerry, btw.)" ^^

No, what I had in mind was well described in your how-to post above. It would be much easier for all of us, and especially for beginners, if we just could click on a "start logging" button in ECUControl, compared to your description above. And we wouldn't need the extra translation step for making it readable.

Also, almost all needed code is already present in ECUControl so I think it would be an easy fix for Cliff.

Kickbacks basically are a good thing: it means good ignition, just at the wrong time. What do you think of TDC=1 and inj advance at 300?

Hubert

Tried that today, no start.

Road test today first 5 TPS rows/all RPM`s w 300 inj timing.

Not so smooth, abit better when warm but worse than 517 overall. Bit harder to start, even if I had first 3 TPS row values at 517.

Maybe ign timing not so important, as Cliff stated. Will not try any other setting regarding this unless someone else

chimes in w good result (raz ;) ).

Hmmm, have perfect start when cold w idle lever at max, 5 degrees in first row & TDC=0.

Warm start I always have to add a little throttle.

What to adjust?

Would be sooo slick just to press the starter button at any conditions & get a perfect start.....

Hi Guys

I'm trying to set up a forum for MyECU as these mega threads are pretty hard to take in.

I'm new to running a forum so I'm not too sure how it is going to go. This is a big experiment for me so if it goes pair shaped it might disappear.

At the moment it will require some registration steps. Please be patient.

You should be able to get to the forum here - www.cajinnovations.com/yabb0 .

The registration works and I like the fact that it splits into different aspects of MyECU. Richard

Hi Guys

I'm trying to set up a forum for MyECU as these mega threads are pretty hard to take in.

I'm new to running a forum so I'm not too sure how it is going to go. This is a big experiment for me so if it goes pair shaped it might disappear.

At the moment it will require some registration steps. Please be patient.

You should be able to get to the forum here - www.cajinnovations.com/yabb0 .

Also, almost all needed code is already present in ECUControl so I think it would be an easy fix for Cliff.

99% of all users would log only once, my word on this. They'll get drowned under all the numbers this file contains. Hyperterminal is not that difficult, the problems arise later.

Besides that the MyEcu don't go into cars, where you can place the laptop besides you or even have your girlfriend watch it. On a bike it's always a bit risky. Headcrash - either you on the road or your laptop inside the harddisc ;)

Hubert

The reason I wanted to log is due to my approach to the Mk III My15M is ....

Got it starting and idling by adjusting the Breva map CJ supplied. Then calculated O2 voltages from LC-1 wideband O2 sensors between 12.8 and 13.5 AFR. Entered the appropriate voltages into the lines for O2 flag numbers, then set SW1 so that it runs in closed loop. It runs quite well, in spite of stupidly reversing the targets, not from 13.5 to 12.8, but 12.8 to 13.5 - what an idiot, but it shows either how tolerant my bike is to AFR and/or the closed loop reacts fairly well.

I then wanted to log how much the ECU was having to correct from the base map to reach the O2 targets, so I could then edit the injdur lines to get the base map close to my AFR targets. For information (and no doubt lots of comments, which are welcome) I set row 00 to 13.5 and row 14 to 12.8, with AFR changing linearly between the two. This is for all revs apart from 500.

After that I plan to do a trip to a dyno to start tweaking.

Richard

99% of all users would log only once, my word on this. They'll get drowned under all the numbers this file contains. Hyperterminal is not that difficult, the problems arise later.

Besides that the MyEcu don't go into cars, where you can place the laptop besides you or even have your girlfriend watch it. On a bike it's always a bit risky. Headcrash - either you on the road or your laptop inside the harddisc ;)

Hubert

Have not tried yet - work is getting in the way! I work from home and the bike, like the Devil on the shoulder, keeps saying forget work and play with me! Unfortunately I have a huge deadline to meet today.

Maybe serial to USB for one?

Hyperterminal now's working?

You might think of getting a com port splitter to run EcuControl and Hypertrm in parallel. Just in case.

Hubert