The MyECU thread

raz

Yes it does work, because you are saving a text (ecu) file to your computer. What happens in the MyECU cannot leap across the ether and change the text file you saved.

I have not looked, but luhmo may be correct about what is actually stored in MyECU.

The thing is that if you have a structured approach to your saved files and # notes it will make life easier when you try to remember what and why you did something.

This was not meant to create discussion, just a point of info so you don't lose track of your changes and outcomes.

Good idea, if it works :D

I date or name my maps (ie after xx changed.ecu) and keep them in a couple of locations, that way I can find them quickly if I need to.

Running closed loop means the map I started a ride with may not be the one I return with so I tend to save the map before and after a ride(before ride to x.ecu,after ride to x.ecu) to compare the changes.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it does work, because you are saving a text (ecu) file to your computer. What happens in the MyECU cannot leap across the ether and change the text file you saved.

I have not looked, but luhmo may be correct about what is actually stored in MyECU.

The thing is that if you have a structured approach to your saved files and # notes it will make life easier when you try to remember what and why you did something.

This was not meant to create discussion, just a point of info so you don't lose track of your changes and outcomes.

I think that all the up- and download work incl. translation is done be ECUControl. It opens the .ecu file (map) extracts what it needs and sends this to the ecu. But as it is a rather plain frontend it is rather unflexible regarding the structure of the map.

This means you should be careful where you insert your comments.

Here in Germany for instance we're using commas (,) instead of dots (.) for floating numbers. The point is that EcuControl doesn't make a plausibility check for this. Same with the (O1) (O0) map. It's very easy to replace accidentaly an O with a 0. EcuControl reads it in and seems to upload it into the ecu. But in fact it writes just bulls*#t what leads to "unpredictable results".

Hubert

I was sitting making a base map for my bike and I was looking for the air pressure trim. I can not find it. Does any one know where it is located? I need to see how the compensation works to adjust the maps that I have to be MyECU compatible.

Jocke........

I did Physics at Uni in the very distant past and whilst I dislike thermodynamis, I still remember a bit.

Cliff's air temp corrections are correct. the Ideal Gas Law referred to in the code - is PV = nRT, where P is pressure in atmospheres, V is volume, n can be treated as the amount of O2, R is a constant and T is temperature in Deg Kelvin, not Deg C.

Forget the R, so the amount of gas n is proportional to PxV/T Volume is fixed by the capacity of the cylinder, so n is proportional to P/T I.e if the temperature goes up, the gas expands and there are less molecules. Similarly if P goes up there are more molecules. This table below compares my calcs using Deg K to show that Cliff is spot on

Deg K 243 253 263 273 283 293 298 303 313 323

Deg -30 -20 -10 0 10 20 25 30 40 50

MyECU 24.7 19.8 15.2 11 7.1 3.4 1.7 0 -3.2 -6.2

Richard 24.7% 19.8% 15.2% 11.0% 7.1% 3.4% 1.7% 0% -3.2% -6.2%

Atmospheric pressure is just the weight of a column of air between the bike and the limit of earth's atmosphere which is being pulled by gravity. When you go up a tall mountain, there is less air above and therefore less pressure.

This is the pressure line in My15M MyECU Cfg Pressure=250mV,120mB,4200mV,1060mB

The change in O2 will be linear with pressure - eg double the pressure and you double the amount of O2, so you would need to double the fuel.

No way! Fixed, based on physical laws. Maybe Cliff could post the "Zero Correction Pressure".

Hubert

The change in O2 will be linear with pressure - eg double the pressure and you double the amount of O2, so you would need to double the fuel.

Thanks for that write up. To compare with an OEM we still need to know where Cliff placed the 0% correction for pressure though.

BTW everyone be aware when copying whole maps between platforms (better not doing that, just copy sections). The pressure line should be the same between P8 and 16M but different from the above, I didn't notice that until now. Another similar issue is the top "Config TDC=0x1600, CylOffs=270, PulsesPer=48", it's the same between 15M and 16M but different on P8. I have yet to understand what 0x1600 refers to.

I did Physics at Uni in the very distant past and whilst I dislike thermodynamis, I still remember a bit.

Cliff's air temp corrections are correct. the Ideal Gas Law referred to in the code - is PV = nRT, where P is pressure in atmospheres, V is volume, n can be treated as the amount of O2, R is a constant and T is temperature in Deg Kelvin, not Deg C.

Forget the R, so the amount of gas n is proportional to PxV/T Volume is fixed by the capacity of the cylinder, so n is proportional to P/T I.e if the temperature goes up, the gas expands and there are less molecules. Similarly if P goes up there are more molecules. This table below compares my calcs using Deg K to show that Cliff is spot on

Deg K 243 253 263 273 283 293 298 303 313 323

Deg -30 -20 -10 0 10 20 25 30 40 50

MyECU 24.7 19.8 15.2 11 7.1 3.4 1.7 0 -3.2 -6.2

Richard 24.7% 19.8% 15.2% 11.0% 7.1% 3.4% 1.7% 0% -3.2% -6.2%

Atmospheric pressure is just the weight of a column of air between the bike and the limit of earth's atmosphere which is being pulled by gravity. When you go up a tall mountain, there is less air above and therefore less pressure.

I dont say that it is any thing wrong with Cliffs stuff. The question is how does it work? What is the 0 pressure. I mean at what pressure does the press trim do zero trimming? Is it at 1013mb. How does it compensate? Is it actually a linear compensation? What is the max compensation? What happens when the press sensor breaks? How much does it reduce the fuel at 1000 meters or 2000 meters? As I have a Ultimap 59 on one of my bike and have played a lot with it I have a good idea how it works on that ECU and I need to understand if it is any difference and what the difference is. I dont like to do guess work. If I am going to be able to do a good map I need to understand what I am doing.

Thats all for now.

Jocke.......

.....I have yet to understand what 0x1600 refers to.

Set IgnAdvance to zero and then play around with this value while you're flashing the TDC mark. I don't have the equipement, but I guess doing this could give you the answer.

Hubert

Set IgnAdvance to zero and then play around with this value while you're flashing the TDC mark. I don't have the equipement, but I guess doing this could give you the answer.

Hubert

No. If you don't understand it, don't touch it.

0x1600 actually tells the ECU where TDC is. In this case 0x16 is 22. TDC is on the 22nd pulse. The 00 is a fractional part.

Now don't touch.

The zero point for the pressure is 1024 naturally.

What if TDC comes 5° too late for instance? The idea was to finetune, to address this by changing this value. Would have been a nice feature, though.

Hubert

What if TDC comes 5° too late for instance? The idea was to finetune, to address this by changing this value. Would have been a nice feature, though.

Hubert

That's a different scenario than just tinkering to see what it might do.

I prefer the "identify the problem", "fix the problem" approach rather than the "I'll change everything to what I think they should be" approach. The latter involves too many assumptions.

Latest in my starting troubles:

Tried alot of mappings to get an easy start.

TDC=0 or 1, Priming 14 down to 4, Crank after start down to 25, TDC fr map w 4-14 degrees.

In short, a very wide spectre of maps, hours spent. :angry:

No easy start, lotsa kickbacks, a little throttle helped to start occasionally.

Could a problem be me having some 11-11,5 compression and a 1,5 kg lighter flywheel?

Took the plugcaps off, engine rotated quite freely w tired battery, w/o any problems.

First start this season was w original P7, tried it again, several starts in a row w/o problems.

I think somethings basic is wrong, it is not in mapping.

A guess: Other ignitions have the parameter Revolutions w/o ignition f starting.

That is a rev or two to get the starting mechanism rolling, then ignite.

Feels like I don`t have that, I immidiately get a kickback w MyECU.

From a map: MyECU Cfg TDC=0x1c00, CylOffs=270, PulsesPer=32, MissingPulses=0

Missing pulse, is that anything like Revolution w/o ignition?

Is there something I can adjust in MyECU to get a rev or to w/o ignition when starting?

Frustrating last sessions w MyECU so any help appreciated!

Your postings of last month indicate that you had goods starts. Go back to the map you had then.

Then make small adjustments if necessary.

The changes you are now mentioning are huge. Its no wonder things aren't going well. Why were you going on about the offsets recently when you haven't got past the starting phase?

That's a different scenario than just tinkering to see what it might do.

I prefer the "identify the problem", "fix the problem" approach rather than the "I'll change everything to what I think they should be" approach. The latter involves too many assumptions.

Tell a child to keep its fingers off the hot oven :grin: Time to mention btw. that for some the provided maps were always working right from the first day. Then, at least for me, these possibilities make the MyEcu the ecu of choice. It's not that most people should really have problems with the OEM units.

Hubert

The changes you are now mentioning are huge. Its no wonder things aren't going well.

Of course I started adjusting in small steps around my settings where I had half OK start.

Much later, to see if anything happends, I tried more radical stuff.

Starting behaves the same, small or big alterations, TDCWhileCranking=1 or TDCWhileCranking=0 w 14 degrees f e (also tried 4,5 8. 10 degrees).

Makes me wonder if the TDCWhileCranking= even works on mine.

Why were you going on about the offsets recently when you haven't got past the starting phase?

Had MyECU 6 months on the bike, more or less kickbacks the whole time.

Have developed a map w good results on the Dyno but w no offset alterations, it is time to start w those.