Options for changing fuel mapping on the V11

dlaing

12 hours ago, antmanbee said:

I run the Meinolf map in my V11 and it is great. Night and day difference. His map is for the 15M ECU.

You just need the proper cables and a laptop with the writer program. It only takes a minute to flash the new map on.

Back up your old one first. That takes about 10-15 minutes.

Adjust valves, reset the TPS to 157mv and balance the throttle bodies and you will have a great running V11.

which cables/laptop to you use?  i have the tuneecu setup, which if i recall correctly i run from windows on my mac via bootcamp (but now that i think of it, i upgraded my mac and i think i skipped the windows partition..... damn, forgot about that).  It reads/writes to some ECU's, but not sure if its apples-to-apples, plus i'd need the cables specific for the V11.  probably a thread on this, so i'll take a look, but a bump here could get me going down the right path.

I'm not at all sure i'll even bother.  I love the way the LM sings above 4800rpm, once i got used to letting her rev up that high.  Always felt like the "tractor" should be treated nice, with the rpm's kept lower for that nice torque, but its so smooth and linear above 4800rpm, with no buzz/vibration, and instant throttle response, that i now tend to just ride her more in that zone.  Funny, as people always say its not the rpm-lover "like a ducati" (commonly noted thing), but i find this V11 runs smoother than anything i've owned (other than 2 strokes) in that higher rpm zone.  The only reason i'd mess with the ECU is to see what it is that "I didn't know i couldn't live without" in regard to the lower rpm zone, plus the ever present desire to mess around with stuff that should by all rights just be left alone... :->

I owned my oilhead boxer RT for over 65,000 miles before i installed a gizmo that some oilhead enthusiasts who were dialed into the ECU challenge came up with (AF-XIED, or some such acronym, which was a plug and play device for "tricking" the ECU), and low and behold a light shown from heaven and bestowed beautiful low rpm performance that i didn't know was something i had been missing. 

• Like 1

I'll just leave this here, written about Alfas, but applies to all Italian machines....:mg:

The Italian Tune-Up is No Myth, (from Pat Braden's Alfa Bible):

"You’ve sunk your next five years’ paychecks into this sweet Italian beauty and you’re not going to abuse it, by golly. You shift at 2500 rpm and never go over 70 mph. To prove your point, the car needs tuning so often now that if you really put your foot into it you’re sure something would explode. That’s Italian cars for you.

Somewhere, right now in Italy, someone’s driving exactly the same car as yours. His right foot is pressed firmly to the floor, where it has been for the last three hours. The rubber on the brake pedal shows no perceptible wear. The speedometer and tachometer are both trying to bury themselves offscale. His arms are weary from cranking the wheel back and forth as he negotiates the mountain roads.

His eyes gleam and his heart is glad for he has never once had cause to do more than regular maintenance to his thoroughbred of a car that has uncounted kilometers on its engine. He’s right and you’re wrong!"

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JBBenson said:

I'll just leave this here, written about Alfas, but applies to all Italian machines....:mg:

The Italian Tune-Up is No Myth, (from Pat Braden's Alfa Bible):

"You’ve sunk your next five years’ paychecks into this sweet Italian beauty and you’re not going to abuse it, by golly. You shift at 2500 rpm and never go over 70 mph. To prove your point, the car needs tuning so often now that if you really put your foot into it you’re sure something would explode. That’s Italian cars for you.

Somewhere, right now in Italy, someone’s driving exactly the same car as yours. His right foot is pressed firmly to the floor, where it has been for the last three hours. The rubber on the brake pedal shows no perceptible wear. The speedometer and tachometer are both trying to bury themselves offscale. His arms are weary from cranking the wheel back and forth as he negotiates the mountain roads.

His eyes gleam and his heart is glad for he has never once had cause to do more than regular maintenance to his thoroughbred of a car that has uncounted kilometers on its engine. He’s right and you’re wrong!"

amen

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 2:01 AM, Tomchri said:

I'm actually going south to se him on sunday, with 3 brains. That will be interesting, and hopefully not hurt my brain to much.

Cheers tom.

Had to wait until tuesday morning, no ferrys to Denmark, raining and very  WINDY.    3400km, and back home saturday morning,  7c- 18c, mostly 13c.  I was told by Meinolf, isn't that the essence of riding,  and all what we do for our dearest.

What a pleasant experience, BIG respect. I will do my best to follow Meinolfs advices, period.  2 of the brains received just what the doctor ordered, but my spare ECU was an RC, even if it did say 15M and California on the original sticker?

Cleaned my AFCs yesterday and closed them. Not that long since tuning so just put the brain back on,,, she fired right up, idling,, so so but not to bad.  I knew I have to do a both throttle body balancing.          45km test ride, yes thank you, this will be good. You get an immediate feeling she is getting the fuel she needs, spend lot of the time provoking her in the 3000 area, no problem .     A little more tuning and excellent.  See what I will manage before salted roads.

A big thank you again to Meinolf  :thumbsup:  :mg:

Cheers tom