"Rebel Scum" Movie Review

Back in this thread,

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=146286

Jihem posted about V50man's film "Rebel Scum", a documentary of the band, "The Dirty Works".

In that thread, things apparently got nasty, most of the nasty stuff got edited out, and it got shut down.

Hopefully that won't happen here.

This was an excellent movie, in many ways better than "Sid and Nancy" or "This is Spinal Tap".

"Sid and Nancy" fed on our curiosity of the famed Sex Pistols, but in my opinion failed to move me or meet my expectations. "This is Spinal Tap" was a mega-cult classic that was very entertaining, but the social commentary not very meaningful and it was fake and scripted.

Rebel Scum is REAL.

By simply following the band, filming these intriguing characters, and apparently masterfully editing, they produced a captivating tale of perseverance in the pursuit of their dream. The cliche concept of resisting "selling out" never came up because these guys are the real deal, working for their art, whether appreciable or not.

My one criticism of the film is that the sound track is not as good as the music on their album, "Biscuits and Liquor", giving the impression that the band kind of sucks. The trailer does even less justice to their music, and the trailer in my humble opinion over does the 'struggle for art's sake' theme.

To me the impressive theme is the struggle of the dysfunctional to simply make it, and keep the band together.

If you like either the study of the dysfunctional or punk rock, go see the film if it ever comes out.

It is truly fascinating.

In case anyone is wondering, I sent dlaing a copy of "Rebel Scum" because I found his commentary to be thoughtful and thought-provoking, even though he was only commenting on the trailer.

He is the "official" North American reviewer of the film for v11lemans dot com.

Hopefully, the thread will stay alive and not degenerate as it did before.

Thanks for the honest review, David. Things are picking up steam, and I hope to be able to announce a distribution deal in the near future.

Francis Percarpio

a/k/a v50man

_RS_LOGO_KILL_SMALL.jpg