6K - too soon to worry about valve adjustment?

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

I am coming up on 6 K on my Billybob (yes, not many miles but I have 3 bikes I ride in turn so spread the miles - plus I work a lot) -

Anyway, I have some questions:

1. is it too soon to worry about valve adjustment on the bike?

2. this is my first service since the initial 600 mile service the po had done at a dealer - not sure if valves were adjusted or checked.

3. There is a very good 'how to' on the site here I am going to use....however, do I need to torque the heads as mentioned in this article at this point?

Thank you,

Lee

There's nothing wrong with checking the valves. To me it's a stress reliefer. Guzzi Yoga. If it ends up with no adjustment, you will still have the benefit of knowing that!

Apparently the newer type of gaskets don't crush so the need for re-torque should be gone. And if not, it should have been taken care of at the initial service. There is no point in re-re-torquing. I get the impression some people loosen and re-torque at every valve check and for what I know that is much more risk than benefit. But you could check them without loosening them first, just have a 'torque wrench click' at each of them. If the easy ones make that click without moving, don't bother digging for the "hidden" ones.

Guest ratchethack
. . .the need for re-torque should be gone. And if not, it should have been taken care of at the initial service. There is no point in re-re-torquing.

EDIT: Reading this again, I had to count the number of "re-'s" to get my read right. :o

Re-re-torque, yes. I agree -- no point. OTOH, does he know for sure if re-torquing has been done? In consideration of re-torquing, there can be considerable wisdom in it. it can be (and was for me) a considerably greater stress reliever than doing a valve adjustment!

On my Sport, several of the head nuts on both heads were down around half torque spec at 10K miles. All documented dealer service was on schedule up to then, which presumably included a re-torque -- but apparently not! <_<:whistle:

For re-torquing heads, I've never been a proponent of backing the heads down, only to bring them back up in sequence. I just follow the proper cross-head sequence and bring them all up to spec.

The way I think about this, if you find even one below spec, on the V11 you gotta dig out the socket head nuts under the rocker spindles for a proper check. I did, even though (IIRC) I found 'em up to spec.

But o' course, that's just me. :luigi:

• 3 weeks later...
On my Sport, several of the head nuts on both heads were down around half torque spec at 10K miles. All documented dealer service was on schedule up to then, which presumably included a re-torque -- but apparently not! <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_whistle.gif" alt=":whistle:">

For re-torquing heads, I've never been a proponent of backing the heads down, only to bring them back up in sequence. I just follow the proper cross-head sequence and bring them all up to spec.

What are the torque values. I have never done this. I know I should have. :unsure: The bike has 20k mi. now. I picked it up with 2k mi. I guess I figured the first guy would have done it, but maybe not. :huh2: