the perfect sport tour?

jolly135

new to the group and looking for some thoughts and opinions, now granted this is a biased group......I am searching for the "perfect" sport tour that also scratches the eclecti itch. Have just returned from a trip on a Harley Fat boy and think I want something a little more...well of everything. Have started looking at several bikes, an ST, RT, an old FJ and possibly a lemans. I also have a 97 1100 sport, by the way its the only single seater I have seen of its kind here in the states, in the garage its definitely cool, a freight train by comparison to other bikes out there, but I have had some issues with getting it tuned properly. (air boxes removed and Mistrel exhaust, it coughs and sputters below 3500 but above 4k it runs like a ...well like a freight train). any known problems or reasons to stay away from the v11 Lemans if I dont have decent dealer support? comfortable or just eclectic?

Thanks to all who respond

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it's perfect you want then you're thinking of the wrong bike. The Le Mans is a heavily flawed machine that in the wrong place at the wrong time is a monumental pain in the 'arris. Of course in the right place at the right time then it's wonderful, which is why I put up with it. The only way I can get it comfortable is with an Airhawk, and even then mates wonder how I do it. If you do fancy it then got for it, just make sure you do it with eyes wide open.

Hi jolly and welcome in.

There are a number of well documented and for the most part, easily overcome issues with most all of the V11s. If you were to get one with more than 10,000 miles or so on the clock, most of the issues will have been already resolved. If not, a few evenings spent using the search function here in this forum should give you a pretty good picture of what to expect. If you are a Guzzi fan, none of them would discourage you from taking the leap.

Plenty of folks here use the V11 for serious touring duty. Some would argue it isn't well suited, others think it the dog's balls. Some, including myself, have found it to be the most comfortable bike, in stock form, they have ever ridden. Most make minor mods to adjust the ergonomics to suit.

What part of this world do you live in? There are only a few good Guzzi dealers around the US so you might have a hard time finding reliable local service. If you are not up to doing your own work, you might want to be looking for something else.

You need to find a V11 and try it on yourself. Have fun!

Dennis

Triumph Sprint ST... Hands Down..... I've owned BMW, Guzzi Of Course and The Triumph. Wish I'd never sold the ST. Best Bike in all around capability and Sport Touring. I'm Biased, I loved that Sprint... I haven't ridden the New Kaw Concours or the FJR. I'm sure both are good...

Did I mention I like the Triumph????

varied369.jpg

Of course mine was the last Generation Sprint.......

BTW, Hello and Welcome....

Richard Z.

If I could only have 1 bike (geared toward sport touring), then it would either be a Triumph tiger (2005 or later), or a Ducati MTS 1100. The Ducati ST2 would be a close 3rd choice though since they are much cheaper than both the above, but more sporty like the Le Mans. I just don't like the LM with hard bags, I think it ruins the lines although there was a guy who adapted the ST2/3/4 bags to the Le Mans and it actually looked very nice.

There are only a few good Guzzi dealers around the US so you might have a hard time finding reliable local service.

Ha! Little more than 1 hour after posting this I learn that there is a new Guzzi dealer less than 50 miles from my door. Tri Sports has been in business for quite a few years selling Hon/Kaw/Suz and recently added Piaggio stuff including Aprilia and now Moto Guzzi. Hope they do well.

In its stock form the LeMans isn't a great sport tourer IMO, but with some comfort adjustments itt can be pretty good. I installed clip on risers which helped me a great deal on extended rides, but everyone seems to have ther own preference.

I think the Triumph ST would be the best choice and then I also like the Aprilia futura (some what hard to find but a great bike)

Hal

Depends on what your looking for in the bike.

How many days would you go out for,a couple,a couple of weeks?

Is lower maintenance a requirement?

Lightweight or heavy?

How much do you want to spend?

Iv'e owned an ST1100 for 7 years with 85K on it and it has never failed me,all conditions and weather.Low maintenance,shaft drive and great V-4 motor with a great vibe/growl.Comfortable in stock form,even for 2-up,and good fairing protection.Also the 1100's are cheap.You can get a clean one in the 4K-5K range.It was also in production for 12 years so lots of parts and accessories available.

The new Concourse and FJR's look great but your looking at about 8K and up for a used one.

If you want light weight ,and a little less comfort,the Triumph ST,Ducati,and VFR(Iv'e owned 3 of them,currently a VTEC in garage)would be good choices.

I look at V11's as more of a roadster,a day trip bike,maybe a couple of days.Even with a Rich Maud seat and MPH risers it's great for 100-300 mile days,but multiple days might get tiresome for some people.I've been on dozens of 1500mi+ trips on the VFR and found it to be much more comfortable for slab/straight roads.Also an enclosed fairing to protect electrics from water(the Guzzi is like a cat,it can swim but it doesn't like it)and wind/water protection for the rider is prefered for long trips.

My 3 cents,....

I'd think you'd find the V11Lemans a lot similar to the 1100 Sport but more ergonomically comfortable.

It can be a pain sorting out some of the niggles especially with the ancillary equipment fitted. But you've persevered with the Sport so appear to be up to the task.

Some of the others mentioned have had their own faults. They also appear to be slightly more weighted to Grand Tourers esp RT ST(Honda) slightly less so ST(Triumph) and FJ.

You can tour on anything. I never toured on my FJ but have put a few long weekends on the V11.

It copes either heavily laden

123_2340.jpg

or with just the light bags.

IMG_0047.jpg

I'd don't know what I'd replace it with - VFR too techy - Falco discontinued - Norge fairing too big and sitty up - 1200 Sport possibly though would want bigger fairing and 4V head.

Nothing else appeals either too sport focused or too big. The sensible 4 cylinder option Fazer S; Bandit S; CB1300 etc don't have the wow factor. Then theres dual sports....

There's nothing quite like it anymore.

Best I look after her :wub:

I'm touring on mine right now... Love it but in 40 degree temps in the morning I miss the Bassa with touring w/s and heated grips. I wouldn't trade back for anything. My Lemans is the most reliable of all the Guzzi's I've owned and the best handling. w/bar risers I can ride all day, it fits me well at 5'10"

IMG_1232.jpg

Well I thought the LeMans was the perfect "Sport Touring" until the Norge came out. I think the label "sport touring" is a little ambiguous so I'll apply MY definition.

Sport Touring to me, is a bike that is great for a day trip, riding the twisties that also has the potential has many of us have done, to be decked out for full touring. The whole V11 Sport series provides a great baseline to build from. My LeMans is one of the most comfortable bikes I've owned.

On the otherhand, there are Touring bikes. Victory Vision, Goldwing, BMW (don't know the models) . those are touring bikes. They can handle the twisties and scoot around town... but they are best suited for the open road, especially highway.

While my LeMans is "comfortable" on the open road, what's the point of all the torque and maneuvering ability to go in a straight line.

Enter the Norge. Rather than having to deck out my LeMans, I will be able to strip down the Norge for the more "sporty" days. It's got a great riding position, heated grips, 1200 engine, big tank, that low-end torque we love on our Guzzi's... but it's built a bit more toward Touring than sport.

Well, that's my opinion... your mileage may vary.

Just back from a 3200 mile trip, two-up, camping, cooking and a choice of pretty frocks, (yeah, yeah, for my girl), on my V11 standard seat, pegs, bars, race ecu & cans.

Great journey and nothing negative to report.

Done same last year and will do something similar next year

I've toured a 1972 Norton, 1986 MG Lemans, 1990 VFR, 1998 CRR900RR, 2000 VTR 1000 Superhawk, 2000 V-11 Sport, 2005 'busa, and now setting up a 2005 Duc 999.

Camping/touring on a motorcycle is great 1-up in groups large enough to distribute the camping gear. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt and moved on. For me, motorcycle touring is a matter of enjoying the scenery or the asphalt if it's twisty, and travelling 100-500 miles between clean sheets, hot tubs and decent restaurants.

Loading up a 400 lb bike with 500 lb of gear seems to me, contradictory to the basic concept of the enjoyment of 2 wheels. If I wish to spend some weeks in the bush, I'll hitch up the 5th-wheel RV to the pick-em-up, load the box with beer and steak and go hide out under a tree with a fishing pole.

To each his own.........

I'm touring on mine right now... Love it but in 40 degree temps in the morning I miss the Bassa with touring w/s and heated grips. I wouldn't trade back for anything. My Lemans is the most reliable of all the Guzzi's I've owned and the best handling. w/bar risers I can ride all day, it fits me well at 5'10"

IMG_1232.jpg

Ok I froze my hands and feet in a rainstorm at 45 degrees F on the way home BUT I STILL LOVE IT!

IMG_1294.jpg