the perfect sport tour?

jolly135

As you can see, the definition of sport touring is as varied as the bikes people would choose. I have toured on 3 bikes, An FZR 400, a Buell X1 Lightning, and a Griso. The Griso is an excellent sport touring bike to me. My wife feels the same way about her V11.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I froze my hands and feet in a rainstorm at 45 degrees F on the way home BUT I STILL LOVE IT!

IMG_1294.jpg

Thanks to all, and as I expected...its all over the board! LOL, its the great thing about not being 20...gettting to ride what you want cause you want to not what you are expected to ride!

Still searching and spending countless hours on ebay and such...price...model....etc.

In the barn: 1997 motot guzzi 1100 sport, 2003 harley fatboy, 1999 buell x1 (modified with a european 3/4 fairing and a few other tricks), 2005 big dog chopper. the itch not scratched....sport touring but would like to keep the price reasonable, the mx low and the fun factor high.

Thanks to all, and as I expected...its all over the board! LOL, its the great thing about not being 20...gettting to ride what you want cause you want to not what you are expected to ride!

Still searching and spending countless hours on ebay and such...price...model....etc.

In the barn: 1997 motot guzzi 1100 sport, 2003 harley fatboy, 1999 buell x1 (modified with a european 3/4 fairing and a few other tricks), 2005 big dog chopper. the itch not scratched....sport touring but would like to keep the price reasonable, the mx low and the fun factor high.

3_cool_bikes.jpg

not really the correct forum, but here is the buell......

white_frame_email.jpg

. . . The Le Mans is a heavily flawed machine that in the wrong place at the wrong time is a monumental pain in the 'arris. . . .

With all due respect to the opinion holder, the quoted opinion could not be more subjectively incorrect.:mg:

Keep reading and researching this forum for the next few weeks and you will come to the same conclusion as did I . . . the V11 LeMans is a jewel and will be a collector bike for years to come. If you can find one that has been well cared for, you will have found a treasure and a pleasure to ride and admire. You will get so many compliments wherever you go. This is a unique, different, and very capable multi-use bike. It is definitely a keeper. :2c:

not really the correct forum, but here is the buell......

If you fancy the big twin what about the Buell Thunderbolt ST (i thnk?) the one that came with color matched hard bags and the half faring. I always thought that particular bike would be a fun addition to the garage.

With all due respect to the opinion holder, the quoted opinion could not be more subjectively incorrect.:mg:

It doesn't make it a bad bike, and there are few bikes out there that do it for me in the same way, but to deny the V11s are without a number of flaws is to close your eyes to the patently obvious.

My Rosso Corsa is a good sports tourer apart from the fact that it always bloody breaks down or goes wrong on tour:

Sligo, Ireland- relay

Rotterdam, Netherlands- relay

Dinas Mawddy, Wales- gearbox return spring

Angelsey, Wales- split header pipe

Dumbarton, Scotland- broken gearshift bracket

Normandy, France- starter solenoid

Stelvio Pass, Italy- gearshift

Yes, all fixable / avoidable but I've got sick of it and have retired her from long distance trips. Great to ride when she is behaving herself though.

Guy050.jpg

For me, the ultimate Guzzi sports tourer is now my Stelvio- comfy, fast (for a Guzzi!), great handling and so far, reliable!

Atour08062.jpg

. . . but to deny the V11s are without a number of flaws is to close your eyes to the patently obvious.

The OP said . . . "The Le Mans is a heavily flawed machine . . ." you say "a number of flaws" . . . help me brother ;)

If you fancy the big twin what about the Buell Thunderbolt ST (i thnk?) the one that came with color matched hard bags and the half faring. I always thought that particular bike would be a fun addition to the garage.

There's a reason Buell no longer makes the trellis-frame models; they all had short life expectancies [mono-shock mounts failing, etc.] and various problems related to their "boutique-builder" status before the H-D cavalry rode in and took the company back in under the corporate umbrella and made Buell into the respectable builder it is today. The trellis-framed models were great for what they were, but you'd be much better off starting w/ the Ulysses and adding the bags to that than messing about w/ the old T-Bolt ST [a bike which Erik Buell told me directly he never wanted to build, but only did so to shut up the moto-press' constant demands for a bike to fill the low-sales-numbers niche...]

Ride on!

The Ulysses is a great bike, and more reliable then the tube frame Buells. But it lacks the soul and ride quality/feel of the tube frame Buells. I wouldn't say no to a modern aluminum frame Buell but I would have prefered to see Buell spend their R&D money on fixing the few flaws the tube frame bikes had than re-invent the wheel as they did with the new bikes. The tube chassis of the older bikes definetely made for a better street bike then the aluminum frame, which is too nervous and sensitive to set-up. The older bikes did not have that many problems and most of them were not that hard to fix. In fact, the new motor fixed most of the issues and about all that remained was to redesign that rear suspension set up to a proper design.

There's a reason Buell no longer makes the trellis-frame models; they all had short life expectancies [mono-shock mounts failing, etc.] and various problems related to their "boutique-builder" status before the H-D cavalry rode in and took the company back in under the corporate umbrella and made Buell into the respectable builder it is today. The trellis-framed models were great for what they were, but you'd be much better off starting w/ the Ulysses and adding the bags to that than messing about w/ the old T-Bolt ST [a bike which Erik Buell told me directly he never wanted to build, but only did so to shut up the moto-press' constant demands for a bike to fill the low-sales-numbers niche...]

Ride on!

The Ulysses is a great bike, and more reliable then the tube frame Buells. But it lacks the soul and ride quality/feel of the tube frame Buells. I wouldn't say no to a modern aluminum frame Buell but I would have prefered to see Buell spend their R&D money on fixing the few flaws the tube frame bikes had than re-invent the wheel as they did with the new bikes. The tube chassis of the older bikes definetely made for a better street bike then the aluminum frame, which is too nervous and sensitive to set-up. The older bikes did not have that many problems and most of them were not that hard to fix. In fact, the new motor fixed most of the issues and about all that remained was to redesign that rear suspension set up to a proper design.

Interesting stuff as I am Buell ignorant. It does seem as though frame issues could be resolved fairly easily for those of us who are gear heads. The new Buells all seem very short, I haven't ridden a Ulysses but the look is more Dual Sport than tour. I have seen several T bolts with 50k plus miles still hammering along. I don't think I'd ever buy a new Buell but would like to pick up a used one learn more about them.

Approaching 20,000 miles on my '04 LeMans Nero Corsa and the only failure has been the odometer.

Pretty F-ing trouble-free if you ask me...

B)

98455197_RMbpN-M.jpg

19000 on my RC and only an odometer and cable! I agree not bad at all!

Hal

Keep reading and researching this forum for the next few weeks and you will come to the same conclusion as did I . . . the V11 LeMans is a jewel and will be a collector bike for years to come. If you can find one that has been well cared for, you will have found a treasure and a pleasure to ride and admire. You will get so many compliments wherever you go. This is a unique, different, and very capable multi-use bike. It is definitely a keeper. :2c:

It took me 40 years of riding, (the last 15 being able to ride what I want) to finally come to the same conclusion as 'okie. :thumbsup: