rear spindle; dimensions and torque

nigev11

hey

doing my rear end work, replacing bevel bearing i noticed my rear axle/spindle is worn. Cant find dimensions anywhere, any one know what it should measure in diameter?

Im getting anywhere between 19.69 and 19.95mm.

Second question on the axle torque

The relevant page showing diagram suggests 28-30Nm for the spindle nut, which seems very low to me.

HOWEVER, the torque table at the front of the manual says 120Nm for the "rear wheel spindle screw (housing side)"

Is this the rear axle or is it something else?

I note the front spindle value is 90-100 so it would be logical the rear is similar and not so low....

nigev11

hey

doing my rear end work, replacing bevel bearing i noticed my rear axle/spindle is worn. Cant find dimensions anywhere, any one know what it should measure in diameter?

Im getting anywhere between 19.69 and 19.95mm.

Second question on the axle torque

The relevant page showing diagram suggests 28-30Nm for the spindle nut, which seems very low to me.

HOWEVER, the torque table at the front of the manual says 120Nm for the "rear wheel spindle screw (housing side)"

Is this the rear axle or is it something else?

I note the front spindle value is 90-100 so it would be logical the rear is similar and not so low....

nigev11

Hay Nige, how'd you go getting that needle bearing out of your bevel?did you press it out.?

Hi Nigev11, I posted the same torque question awhile back. Got the answer here in about 10 minutes. This is a great site for this type of problem, and is exactly why I try to buy Jaap a few beers a year through a contribution to this site at least once a year. The higher torque is correct. Don't forget to grease the problematic front driveshaft zerkes. And clean and lube that cush drive while the rear wheel is off. I couldn't believe the difference it made, even without my pucks being drilled. Good luck, S.H. :notworthy::mg::wub:

savage henry; wow, good to know thanks; THE MANUAL IS WROMG THEN!!!!

Ill clean and grease the cush and repeat; whats the deal with drilling them? I couldnt find any references when I searched.

I agree on this site and you are right, I have gained heaps and owe some goodwill in return.

Mark; on the bearing i took the lazy/safe option and sent it to pete roper with instructions to give the whole drive a once over. Figure at 50k its probably wortha check anyway.

Ill clean and grease the cush and repeat; whats the deal with drilling them? I couldnt find any references when I searched.

I agree on this site and you are right, I have gained heaps and owe some goodwill in return.

Mark; on the bearing i took the lazy/safe option and sent it to pete roper with instructions to give the whole drive a once over. Figure at 50k its probably wortha check anyway.

So then did Roper change your needle bearing?Mine is stuffed,thinking of replacing it with nylon bush.

When you read the excellent thread Raz noted, you'll get the gist. I personally don't feel it's nessecary. My bike had 5,000 miles from new when I bought it. At 6k, I did tires. My most excellent bike guy said he would check the cush drive while at it. Low and behold, the pucks were DRY. I cannot overstate what a difference in the driveline lash that was softened as a result of this simple maintenence detail. :luigi:

...and yeah, this place is the shit, period. :thumbsup:

It looks like whoever did the typing and illustrations (Luigi or rather Luigia) saw a few pages before there were two screws pictured with the torque 28-30Nm (from the ones for the brake disks). On the rear there's only one disk, but for consistency, they felt like showing the same torque for the screw shown as being inserted from the opposite side--which happened to be the axle. :rolleyes: There should have been a disclaimer in the manual: "All instructions herein must be checked with and confirmed by v11lemans." :luigi:

But Luigi/Luigia aren't alone. As an example, the manual for my other bike, written by folks von dem Vaterland. Granted, it's much better organized. There's a general list of torques, but then each job has its torque specs shown on the same page, unlike the "tighten to the torque indicated on chapter blah, blah". However, even the proud Germans have their screwups. Some folks have broken a front wheel spacer by (over)tightening to the high torque shown in the shop manual. Fortunately there's a great forum for the F650GS too.