rear spindle; dimensions and torque

nigev11

spoke to a reputable local supplier yesterday on the spindle diameter issue. he reckons that they are SUPPOSED to have steps machined in them and thus, stop panicking. He coudlnt give me a dimension to check wear but commented he had never been asked to replace one before;ie stop whining, start riding.

ill take his advise

spoke to a reputable local supplier yesterday on the spindle diameter issue. he reckons that they are SUPPOSED to have steps machined in them and thus, stop panicking. He coudlnt give me a dimension to check wear but commented he had never been asked to replace one before;ie stop whining, start riding.

ill take his advise

The 2001 model seem to be different than 2002.My spindle is the same diameter right through.My mates Rosso that I have been ridding for a few days is not.Mine slides right out,his you need to bash out,{for the want of a better word}.

Better to use a silicone based grease rather than a petroleum based grease. Not knowing the composition of the puck material, I'd go with silicone to not worry about deterioration.

Ryan has it right. Sil-Glide is made for this sort of thing. You can pick up a tube at most any auto parts store and it will last nearly forever.

• 2 weeks later...

FOLLOW UP; POST REPAIRS

hi all; just a quickie to let you knwo how it all panned out.

Roper kindly replaced the suspect outer needle bearing with alow cost non standard item. Slightly different length, no problem.

Refitted a replacement outer washer (was missing)

Fitted new wheel bearings (no problems)

Checked the cush drive; all perfect and clean and even came apart well. Drilled and greased the cush rubbers, replaced the brocken cush drive friction gasket, fitted s/s screws and anti seize paste. Got a new spindle (nyloc) nut from the local bolt shop for $2.40.

Re-assembled everything with plenty of lube and torques to the coorect setting of 120Nm.

Hey presto, good as gold.

Rear end feels notciably smoother and less harsh on changes. Free rotation is good and so, Im back on the road and will keep an eye on things but it feels great. Thanks for all your help!