? concerning bike of the month

fotoguzzi

Many should be cleaned and re-oil at far greater intervals than is recomended. In reailty is works out though because generally something else wears out or breaks before we suffer a failure due to dirt ingestion, on street motorcycles at least. (Some locales may vary) So run the paper with the box, or run pods with the gauze. Either way if you service them regularly you should be alright.

Yes. I work at a dealership. On 95 percent of the bikes I see come in that have K&Ns, the filters are dry and gray. They filter nothing smaller than butterflies.

One weekend, I rode my V11 with holed airbox but paper filter on a bunch of dirt roads around Mt. St. Helens. A friend rode my Eldo, which at that time had freshly service K&N pod filters, to the same places. After the weekend, I pulled out the paper filter from my V11. The dirt was piled up halfway along some of the pleats. A shocking amount of dirt. Then, I looked at the K&Ns on my Eldo. There was absolutely no dirt piled up in the pleats of the K&N. They didn't even look dirty. WHere did all that dirt go? I'm guessing it all got sucked into my Eldo's engine.

Theoritically the pleat on the gauze filters do nothing more than hold the oil, the oil is what captures the dirt and it does have to get very dirty for it to be visually noticeable. The current manufacturer that I work for still uses oiled foam filters on their Outdoor units, talk about dirt build up. Paper filters have been suggested as a solution to lack of owner mantainence, but the factory still maintains that the oil foam is preferable, mainly due to lifespan.

While workng for a race team in the late 90's we were sponsored by a up and coming air filter manufacturer, they currently sell foam and gauze. After several weeks of testing them it was decided that the OEM paper worked better, not only for power but also filtration. In our case the sprint races were short enough not to be bothered by the build up in the paper filter, if we were entering the Baja 500 that may have been another matter. So we run the OEM and wear the stickers.

So yes Greg, most of that dirt did go into your engine. Particually if it happened to be any left over volcanic ash. I had a road trip that was delayed due to a blocked paper filter in a car. So we ran it without a filter!!! At least it got us where we needed to be. I never measured for engine wear though... Hmmmm...

:stupid:

I have K&N oiled foam filters on my ducati mainly because with the mods I cant' run standard but have had no problems but more to the point I converted my ride on lawn mower (yeh I know) to oiled foam because the paper one was pricey and after 8 years, no problems and ther's plenty of dirt on the outsde of the filter but never any on the inside. oil it well and it works well :lol:

hello to everybody

thanks to the admin for the honor of the bike of the month

i putted the pods for the looks and for the spectacular sound!!!

in combination with the mivvs without the db killer of course produce a melody from heaven

i may have lost in torque and i need some adjustments more, but having the bike

for my fun and not for making 30000km per year i dont care a lot.

i have order the mistral crossover and i have a pcIII and a block off sensor for the lamda

but i am still looking for the appropriate map!any suggestions?

question: will i have problems with the pods in rain?

how often in a dry climate like here in greece i have to clean them and oil them?

:mg:

greetings to all

hello to everybody

thanks to the admin for the honor of the bike of the month

i putted the pods for the looks and for the spectacular sound!!!

in combination with the mivvs without the db killer of course produce a melody from heaven

i may have lost in torque and i need some adjustments more, but having the bike

for my fun and not for making 30000km per year i dont care a lot.

i have order the mistral crossover and i have a pcIII and a block off sensor for the lamda

but i am still looking for the appropriate map!any suggestions?

question: will i have problems with the pods in rain?

how often in a dry climate like here in greece i have to clean them and oil them?

:mg:

greetings to all

If they're K&N or other guaze-type filter, clean and re-oil them before the color changes from pink to gray or before they look dry. This can mean oiling every two weeks if the bike gets parked in the sun frequently.

Guest ratchethack
Yes. I work at a dealership. On 95 percent of the bikes I see come in that have K&Ns, the filters are dry and gray. They filter nothing smaller than butterflies.

One weekend, I rode my V11 with holed airbox but paper filter on a bunch of dirt roads around Mt. St. Helens. A friend rode my Eldo, which at that time had freshly service K&N pod filters, to the same places. After the weekend, I pulled out the paper filter from my V11. The dirt was piled up halfway along some of the pleats. A shocking amount of dirt. Then, I looked at the K&Ns on my Eldo. There was absolutely no dirt piled up in the pleats of the K&N. They didn't even look dirty. WHere did all that dirt go? I'm guessing it all got sucked into my Eldo's engine.

While workng for a race team in the late 90's we were sponsored by a up and coming air filter manufacturer, they currently sell foam and gauze. After several weeks of testing them it was decided that the OEM paper worked better, not only for power but also filtration. In our case the sprint races were short enough not to be bothered by the build up in the paper filter, if we were entering the Baja 500 that may have been another matter. So we run the OEM and wear the stickers.

So yes Greg, most of that dirt did go into your engine.

Uh-oh. . .

This is clearly politically incorrect, religious blasphemy! We simply can't have any o' that here! :o

Methinks we need to nip some truly heretical ideas in the bud, before they multiply. . .

Somebody call the usual Grand Inquisition Team, and prepare the Iron Maiden!

A mere glimpse of her can be very persuasive, you know. . . ;)

post-1212-1229014738.jpg

Theoritically the pleat on the gauze filters do nothing more than hold the oil,

:stupid:

I belive the pleats enable them to increase the surface area without having a filter the size of a dinner plate :P

I belive the pleats enable them to increase the surface area without having a filter the size of a dinner plate :P

They do increase the surface area. Tear one open and stretch it out to see how long the paper media is.