Power Commander and My New Coppa...YEA BABY!

rcono

Well...not exactly new. NEW FOR ME.....just got it and I'm thrilled!!!!

Had a beautiful Nero 04.....unfortunately it got totaled this past year and I cried big time. Well now I've got a pretty new '04 Coppa with 5800 miles on it. UNBELIEVABLE! I feel like Rocky on the steps of the Philly Museum. Yea...I know....Old school. Man what a bike though. Needs a good cleaning and some really good TLC. I do feel it's not as quick or as tight as the Nero in relation to the throttle reponse.

QUESTION: Before I laid the Nero to rest it had a Power Commander on it...ran great. Is it possible to just plug the old Commander into the Coppa. It's the same engine same everything mechanic wise, including the Titaniums, crossovers etc......or does it need to be re-set on the Dyno. The maps I'm sure are same as well....Watcha all think?

Did I mention I have New for me Coppa. I F**king love these bikes! BTW...for those of you who know me....I'm NOT selling the Duc (Sport Classic) or the Beemer (GS)......Some Friggin' collection eh? The Coppa is #1 as of now....Thanks All and glad to be back! This one's a keeper! :rolleyes:

There are two types of V11 owners. #1 those who ride a bike w/out PowerCommander. #2 those who ride with the Powercommander and LOVE their transformed machine....

To answer your question, you can drop it in. Personally it will not hurt to dyno it and modify it if needed.

FWIW, the PALESTRA is where the steps Rocky made his famous ascent. And this movie was about the worst movie made. Predictable, playing to the simplest of minds and had a cartoon quality plot.

I love this and it is one of my all time favorites. There is no man that does not envision himself climbing those steps to that music and then kicking the s**t out of his competitor !

There are two types of V11 owners. #1 those who ride a bike w/out PowerCommander. #2 those who ride with the Powercommander and LOVE their transformed machine....

To answer your question, you can drop it in. Personally it will not hurt to dyno it and modify it if needed.

FWIW, the PALESTRA is where the steps Rocky made his famous ascent. And this movie was about the worst movie made. Predictable, playing to the simplest of minds and had a cartoon quality plot.

I love this and it is one of my all time favorites. There is no man that does not envision himself climbing those steps to that music and then kicking the s**t out of his competitor !

I stand corrected. I should of known better...Hell I was there! I walked up except for the last 4 steps, ran like hell while juking and wheezing. Big smile on my face. On a more important topic....Put the PC in and it does run better however, def. want to dyno it just to have everything dialed in. Peace of mind I guess. Mostly, been spending time cleaning and polishing. It was a bit neglected. Spent the last two days just doing that! Lookin' good so far. Next....like I said, dyno then start messin' with the suspension. I don't know why some people buy bikes, particularly with Ohlins or any high end suspension and don't dial them in. As far as I'm concerned that's more than half the bike! I've seen it over and over again with bikes that have the latest PC, Titanium pipes et.al. and the suspension goes unchecked. It seems endemic with all bike makes and their owners. This vent isn't so much a dis to my fellow riders/owners, I just kind of find it a shame that most bikes out there aren't dialed in for their owners and in some way don't know what's missing. Needless to say my newest bike is exactly where the factory left it. Sooooo.......that's next for me. Enough ranting....thanks for your answers on my original questions. Can't hardly wait to get everything sorted and then flog her. :race:

Guest ratchethack
I don't know why some people buy bikes, particularly with Ohlins or any high end suspension and don't dial them in. As far as I'm concerned that's more than half the bike! I've seen it over and over again with bikes that have the latest PC, Titanium pipes et.al. and the suspension goes unchecked. It seems endemic with all bike makes and their owners. This vent isn't so much a dis to my fellow riders/owners, I just kind of find it a shame that most bikes out there aren't dialed in for their owners and in some way don't know what's missing. Needless to say my newest bike is exactly where the factory left it. Sooooo.......that's next for me.

Congrat's Rcono. Nice choice on the Coppa. :mg:

Per your comments on typically woefully neglected suspensions, along with at least a few others hereabouts, I've been beating this drum like a marathon competition between Gene Krupa and John Bonham for years, whilst irritating the living daylights out of at least a select few "others" (who seem to know much better than anyone else here about moto suspension neglect by personal experience) in the process. . . :whistle: Matter of fact, because I find the widespread phenomenon of moto suspension neglect so inexplicably puzzling, I've made a bit of a study of it -- right here.

Here's a list of the "Top 10" explanations/excuses I've actually observed (really!) on this Forum over the years:

WHY RIDERS IGNORE SUSPENSION SET-UP

1. It's the factory/dealer's responsibility (isn't it?). I never asked, but I paid good money, so I assume it's already been done.

2. It's the PO's responsibility (isn't it, Part II?). He was about the same weight as me, so I don't need to touch it.

3. I haven't a clue what turning that [screw, dial, wheel] does, and I'm not the slightest bit interested in finding out.

4. You mean this isn't like a 4-door sedan?? Suspension is adjustable??

5. Anything that requires reading more than a paragraph to understand is gibberish.

6. Suspension set-up looks waaaaay too much like the math homework I never understood. Fark it. Responsibility avoidance and escapism is the whole idea behind motorcycling anyway.

7. I'm a man of principle! I never adjusted suspension on any bike I've owned for XX years, and I'm not gonna start now.

8. Fools who set up their suspensions are incompetent shlubs trying to compensate for their lack of ability as riders.

9. I'm not the slightest bit interested in wasting time on anything that doesn't score bling/poseur points.

. . . and last, but by far and away, by no means least,

10. All my time and money on moto's goes into chasing peaks on dyno charts. What does suspension set-up have to do with more power??

Now this is just me, but beyond getting the correct tires mounted and properly inflated, suspension set-up has always been a very close #2 in my priority book for getting the most out of any moto for 40+ years. Properly dialed-in, (despite the great profusion of so many wildly popular delusions to the contrary) the V11 ain't anything like a precision racing instrument capable of chewing up and spitting out the latest combat bike on the track that so many seem to actually believe it could be, should be, and simply must be (after extensive engine modifications and dyno tuning, of course) :whistle: . . . But properly set up with decent tires, a V11 ain't all that bad on the road as a fairly competent, if considerably overweight (and let's be honest, shall we, and admit it -- by today's standards, relatively primitive) Sport-Touring bike. :thumbsup:

FWIW, since you seem to be properly motivated ;) , here's a couple o' Web sites that I've found invaluable for setting up my own Guzzzi suspension and that of several others (who've been most appreciative of the results) that may be of interest:

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html

http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

and for "fine tuning" the fork,

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilheight.htm

Have fun! :race:

Congrat's Rcono. Nice choice on the Coppa. :mg:

Per your comments on typically woefully neglected suspensions, along with at least a few others hereabouts, I've been beating this drum like a marathon competition between Gene Krupa and John Bonham for years, whilst irritating the living daylights out of at least a select few "others" (who seem to know much better than anyone else here about moto suspension) in the process. . . :whistle: Matter of fact, because I find the widespread phenomenon of moto suspension neglect so inexplicably puzzling, I've made a bit of a study of it -- right here.

Here's a list of the "Top 10" explanations/excuses I've actually observed (really!) on this Forum over the years:

1. It's the factory/dealer's responsibility to set up suspension. I paid good money, so I assume it's already been done.

2. It's the PO's responsibility to set up suspension. He was about the same weight as me, so I don't need to touch it.

3. I haven't a clue what turning that [screw, dial, wheel] does, and I'm not the slightest bit interested in finding out.

4. You mean this isn't like a 4-door sedan?? Suspension is adjustable??

5. If it requires more reading than a sentence to understand, it's not important.

6. Suspension set-up looks waaaaay too much like the homework I never understood. Fark it. It works just fine "as is".

7. I'm a man of principle! I never adjusted suspension on any bike I've owned for XX years, and I'm not gonna start now.

8. Fools who set up their suspensions are incompetent shlubs trying to compensate for their lack of ability as riders.

9. I'm not the slightest bit interested in wasting time on anything that doesn't score bling/poseur points.

. . . and last, but by far and away by no means least,

10. All my time and money on moto's goes into chasing peaks on dyno charts. What does suspension set-up have to do with more power??

Now this is just me, but beyond getting the correct tires mounted and properly inflated, suspension set-up has always been a very close #2 in my priority book for getting the most out of any moto for 40+ years. Properly dialed-in, (and despite the great profusion of so many wildly popular delusions to the contrary) the V11 ain't anything like a precision racing instrument capable of chewing up and spitting out the latest combat bike on the track that so many seem to actually believe it could be, should be, and simply must be (after extensive engine modifications and dyno tuning, of course) :whistle: . . . But properly set up with decent tires, a V11 ain't all that bad on the road as a fairly competent, if considerably overweight (and let's be honest, shall we, and admit it -- by today's standards, relatively primitive) Sport-Touring bike. :thumbsup:

FWIW, since you seem to be properly motivated ;) , here's a couple o' Web sites that I've found invaluable for setting up my own Guzzzi suspension and that of several others (who've been most appreciative of the results) that may be of interest:

http://www.strappe.com/suspension.html

http://www.racetech.com/articles/SuspensionAndSprings.htm

and for "fine tuning" the fork,

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/oilheight.htm

Have fun! :race:

Ratch,

I love your rhetoric! Keep it coming...

Do NOT be intimidated to take something apart. There is an excellent chance someone dumber than you assembled it. Their advantage is familiarity and repetition. If you have never ben hit in the face with a clockspring you are not an adventurer.

Get a manual, become familiar with the vernacular, disassemble things slowly and spread them out on a clean flat surface so none of your pets or friends can disturb anything. Do not be afraid to ask questions. I consulted with Traxxion and got new springs for ME and my 245lb. soon to be >200lb. body.

The Marzocchi forks were VERY simple to rebuild... DO read the manual so you will not take them apart 12 times just 10 or less.

Thanks to all for the input. No problem tearing something apart. My feeling is if I F**k it up I can always tow it to the shop. I think of as plan B as in Back-up! When I had the NERO the only thing that wasn't messed with was the suspension. However, when I finally got it dialed in that bike was awsome! Tracked better and turned better than I could ever imagine that it could. In all fairness....are they primitive bikes....Yes. However, they're a farging riot when the engine, sound, and especially the suspension is dialed in. I've got a 1200GS, a Ducati Sport Classic 1000 in the garage and all I want to do is ride the Goose! Nuff said. :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention I have had to throw away some expensive trash. I also spent a week trying to fix a washing machine. After siphoning 4 tubs of water from "Christine" and going to the laundry mat I treated myself to a NEW washer.