My 1996 MOTO GUZZI Sport 1100 LeMans story (long)

96SportCarb

I've seen your pics a few times now and I really have never looked that long to a Sport in the last couple of years!

It is just amazing good looking with the round headlight!

I'm not sure if I can say this here ... but it looks better than the V11LeMon

The flash indicators, the forks, the Termi, they all complete the job.

You have done a terrible good job. Congrats!

After I done with my 96 sport 1100 front end,

I was thinking of taking the v11 rear section into sport 1100.

Here comes the questions:

How difficult is this? Should I really cut the rear frame? or just the 4 rear seat supports? or there is any other rear section option?

I know I will need to move the electronics and battery and it should not be a problem. But what is the best way to mount the battery under the tank(with air box removed)? battery housing? bracket?

Any ideas are welcome!

Cheers,

Kuan

Kuan,

Thanks for this post, it is really inspirational. I love that you saved the bike from being a dusty relic in a public garage. I love even more that your wife supported this whole thing. You sure have got yourself two rare and beautiful catches there. Great work on the bike, it looks awesome.

Kuan,

with the v11 tail you need the subframe for it too. But I think the tank and tail don't fit togheter, the tail is to wide. Better use a tail like I have on my bike. That's a narrowed magni australia tail, TLM sells them. The frame you have to make yourself. Ihave seen you fond my site, so know what to do.

The battery, one yuasha ytx9-bs will do, flat on the frame under the tank.

DSC02213.JPG

Kuan,

with the V11 tail you need the subframe for it too. But I think the tank and tail don't fit togheter, the tail is to wide. Better use a tail like I have on my bike. That's a narrowed magni australia tail, TLM sells them. The frame you have to make yourself. Ihave seen you fond my site, so know what to do.

The battery, one yuasha ytx9-bs will do, flat on the frame under the tank.

DSC02213.JPG

Paul,

Thanks for your picture, it is very helpful!

After throughly thinking, I decide to give up the new tail with modify the REAR frame because of the inspection every year and MAYBE I need to go back original look.

Now I got PLAN B, which is keep the frame ,seat and lock untouched and make a new tail section I like.

Here is the first picture I made to what it may looks:

3251217496_f37488f630_o.jpg

the frame structure:

3251217722_26f51d84d5_o.jpg

as you can see the original pas. seat and the storage box is a little longer than my new design and need to cut a bit. I do have 2 rear seat so it will be okay I think.

My intention was to make the rear section retro look to match the front faring(cafe style) and still be able to open up the rear cover so I can access to the storage box which is handy. The highest point of the cover is about the same as the original so it wont look odd in a whole side view.

I still need to define the rear view of the tail. including the rear section width and the holder of plate, blinker, etc. I prefer v11 wide curve rear with the LED style lighting. Will post some picture soon. :lol:

why leave the original rear light? Take a led light like I have, then you don't need the cutaway from the tail. And move the direction light a bit lower. This way, from the side, it also covers more of the subframe.

Very good point, will try modify the pictures.

Also got this led rear break light with blinkers will try to intergrated in to the rear cover to see how it looks .... :unsure:

ym2887eledxn7.gif

that's better. Why not make a mono seat version, as your wife has her own bike. Or make 2, one as single seat, and a 2 seater, easy swap.

The plastic fender has to go, looks better from the side.

Is that led light with blinkers legal, here not, because they need to be more separated. I have the very small Kellermann blinkers, almost invisible.

• 4 months later...
that's better. Why not make a mono seat version, as your wife has her own bike. Or make 2, one as single seat, and a 2 seater, easy swap.

The plastic fender has to go, looks better from the side.

Is that led light with blinkers legal, here not, because they need to be more separated. I have the very small Kellermann blinkers, almost invisible.

I remeber back int he dim dark days when the 1100 sport was a relativly current model in the Stien Dinse catalouge there was a kit avaliable to do a similar conversion to this to an 1100 sport, single or dual seat the tail section was similar to a Ducati superlight of the same era. It wasn't cheap around $2K AUD plus paint, might be worth looking into included subframe and associated hardware.