Turning a Centauro into a Café Racer...

1100sport

• 2 years later...

Just Bought an 8 valve engine to fit into the V11 sport.Will use a RAM clutch and 15m ecu (jefferies my15m)any advise and or suggestions would be welcome.

Ciao

Are you talking about one of the new "8 valve" engines? I presume you are because you're using Piaggio's daft terminology instead of something that doesn't require the listener to divide by the # of cylinders, & know that Guzzi's are usually twins...

"QV" for "Quattrovalvole" is good for the new ones w/ chain driven cams, & 4v for the old ones w/ belt-driven cams works well, since that's what they had emblazoned on their square valve covers... ;)

I hope you got one of the 4v motors, because the new QV won't fit in the single spine frame of a V11 Sport: you'll note that all the QV motors are in the double-spine frame derived from Dr. John's Quota 1100.

Good luck w/ your special: it's something I've dreamed of doing for my '03 Lemon! :thumbsup:

Sorry,yep thats right,Centauro engine.

Ciao

Excellent!

I remember reading somewhere that it would be a good idea to ventilate the cam belt covers [maybe with some fine screen covering the holes?] on the old 4v, as the engine heat otherwise trapped in them tends to bake the cam belts, and the extra airflow thru the belt housing helps keep these very hot-running heads that little bit cooler.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Sorry,yep thats right,Centauro engine.

Ciao

Excellent!

I remember reading somewhere that it would be a good idea to ventilate the cam belt covers [maybe with some fine screen covering the holes?] on the old 4v, as the engine heat otherwise trapped in them tends to bake the cam belts, and the extra airflow thru the belt housing helps keep these very hot-running heads that little bit cooler.

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

OK thanks will check that out when the engine arrives.Will try and do a pictorial story on the process if I can.This is my starting point.I will also convert to the later tank with the internal pump and filter which I have as well for neatness reasons.Cant tolerate all that external plumbing.The object is to be able to return back to original without any difficulties if I wish.

Ciao

009 - Copy.JPG

• 3 months later...

Well as promised here is an update on the conversion so far.The Centauro engine has just arrived and I've stripped it down to the crank.It has a few issue to deal with.

All lifters are shot and need replacing.

One rocker pad worn where it bears on the lifter and will need rework or replacement.

Cam drive gear is heavily worn

Oil pump is actually not to bad and could could be reused,but I have a new aftermarket one on the way along with a set of Joe Caruso gears

both cams scuffed but probably saveable.Why do Guzzi NOT have the cam oiling hole on the base circle of each cam lobe.Totally silly design.

Cam tensioner pulleys both worn and req replacing

The timing wheel has for some reason tried to chew its way through the cam retainer flange,requires replacement.

Both cylinders worn,pistons are actually in good condition,ring end gaps around .42mm.Could run a flex hone through the bores and re ring it but would rather renew.Problem is getting piston/cylinder assy's.A business close to me will re nickasil the cylinders but its not cheap.Any contacts and options for cylinder and piston kits would be appreciated.

Havent yet checked the valves for guide wear or pulled the crank.Will of course renew all the main and bigend bearings as a matter of course.Will also lighten and balance the crank significantly.

The fun has just begun,this could take a while.

Ciao

4V guzzi 005.JPG

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are having fun. Joe has also kindly ordered a new uprated oil pump for myself and my friend Mal who is building a Centauro based cafe racer- maybe yours is in the same batch- we are hoping that they will be ready in February.

Are you tempted to go the big bore route? Amadeo at Raceco is currently getting a batch of 100mm pistons, longer Arrow rods and resleeving barrels. He said this is the last batch but you never know...Dont ask dont get. Wont be cheap though.

Alternatively I am sure Dynotec in Germany could help.

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are having fun. Joe has also kindly ordered a new uprated oil pump for myself and my friend Mal who is building a Centauro based cafe racer- maybe yours is in the same batch- we are hoping that they will be ready in February.

Are you tempted to go the big bore route? Amadeo at Raceco is currently getting a batch of 100mm pistons, longer Arrow rods and resleeving barrels. He said this is the last batch but you never know...Dont ask dont get. Wont be cheap though.

Alternatively I am sure Dynotec in Germany could help.

I'd rather stick to the 90mm cylinders.Power isn't the priority and boring cases is a lot of hassle.Yes I'm waiting with you for the pump and gears from Joe.I'm talking to Dynotec now.Thanks for the leads.

Ciao

Phil

• 1 year later...