ITI speedo replacement..aaarrg

doug m

I am in the process of changing a MPH ITI speedo for a KPH speedo as well as the cable...sound familiar? It looks like I have to take both speedo's apart as the wiring disappears through 2 rubber grommets and into the insides. I guess I have to disassemble the face plate to get them open to access the wiring; quite a pain in the ass! Any tips for changing the speedo's and internal wiring? 04-nero corsa. I recently repaired my 00 sports vaguelia tach, and that was a pain in the ass too. Here we go again, I love these Italian instruments...NOT! Thanks for any advice, and if I am successful, I may have a low mileage MPH speedo for sale. Thanks, Doug.

I am in the process of changing a MPH ITI speedo for a KPH speedo as well as the cable...sound familiar? It looks like I have to take both speedo's apart as the wiring disappears through 2 rubber grommets and into the insides. I guess I have to disassemble the face plate to get them open to access the wiring; quite a pain in the ass! Any tips for changing the speedo's and internal wiring? 04-nero corsa. I recently repaired my 00 sports vaguelia tach, and that was a pain in the ass too. Here we go again, I love these Italian instruments...NOT! Thanks for any advice, and if I am successful, I may have a low mileage MPH speedo for sale. Thanks, Doug.

Hey Doug, you don't have to take the individual instrument housings apart to swap them. The wires you mention are for the lights, they pull out of the back of the old housing and plug into the back of the new one. These are mechanical, cable driven speedo's, so there is no wiring that you can/need to access, so that makes it a little less PITA.

I too have an '04 Nero Corsa, and I have went through two of the ITI speedo's. The first made it 25K or so and the second only 5-6K if I recall correctly. For the 3rd I ditched the ITI and went to an electronic unit. See Speedo Repair for the way I did it. It wasn't the simplest of jobs, but it's got 5-6 K on it and so far so good. Some folks cut the housing apart and grease up the worm gears to get increased life. I'd suggest trying something like that to improve the lifespan of the replacement. Unlike the Veglia's, no one offers a repair service AFAIK. Good luck Doug! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice Keith, that makes the job a lot easier.I was working on the bike all day,and had it all apart...fairing , tank, etc.,and i must have been tired not to reallize the wiring was for the lights...DOH! Maybe I will take it apart anyhow, and stick some grease in there while I'm at it.