Scared away from Guzzi

Guest Speedy T

Guest Speedy T

:helmet: Hi all~

My 1st post to this site. Cudos to site owner as is really great set-up!

Anyway, I'm currently riding a BMW R1100RT and have been thinking of switching over to the Guzzi. I love the look and history of the guz LeMans and think w/ some slight mods would be a great sport/tourer. However, as I read the post there just may be to many "bugz" for me. Does any body do any long distance touring and has reliability been pretty good?

Last thing I need is to break down in "BFE" and not have any type of dealer or mechanical support to get me back on the road!

I look forward to any and all responses! Tk

I will turn 53,000 miles on my 97 Sport 1100i Monday on the way to work. During that time I have lost one rear brake stay bolt (230 miles), had both front brake rotors upgraded to cast iron (17,000 miles), blown a voltage regulator (my fault, 24,0000 miles), broke a shift pawl spring (38,000 miles), lost 5 head light screws, one taillight bulb, replaced both headlight wiring connectors and re-chipped the EFI. I have had a couple of loose electrical connector problems, easily fixed, but difficult to locate.

I have a 97 California that has never had a problem until yesterday (sidestand switch out of adjustment) in the 14,700 miles I've put on it (plus the 2800 of the original owner). I did an 881 mile shot from eastern Arizona to California in May averaging about 44 mpg at around 75-80 mph. No problems.

I have a V11 Sport TT with about 3000 miles and I lost the alternator cover after the service tech failed to tighted the screws. Likewise the screws on the right side cover as well.

I have an 84 V65C that I just bought so my daughter can learn to ride. It has a less than stellar history (typical of the small block Guzzis though) and it has 39,000 miles.

The three big block Guzzi's have an accumulated total of around 73,000 miles with few maladies. I wouldn't let the general list of problems aired here affect your judgement. Guzzi's are really no worse than a lot of other bikes, but their maintenance is more accessable to the garage mechanic. What you get from these forums are the queries and statements about things gone wrong that need to be put right. You get less of the things that are right simply because of human nature.

Guest Speedy T

Carl~ Thanks for the great reply. I have noticed on other sites too, that problems always get the most "air-time". Cycle World gaveboth the V11 Sport and Lemans good reviews.

Of course before plunking down those hard earned $$'s I'm just researching all I can. Again, Thanks for the input! B)

tk

Speedy T: In my humble opinion your R1100 RT is an excellent motorcycle. My opinion may be somewhat biased as I have owned one since (new) 98. Several months ago I bought a Moto Guzzi 01 V11 Sport, and I am now selling my RT. Not because the V11 Sport is a capable replacement for it, it isnt! The RT is more comfortable, has more carrying capacity, has more available accessories and has a better (at least larger, I really havent had any dealer problems) dealer network. I am selling the RT simply because the Moto Guzzi is more FUN to ride! I occasionally commute 50 miles per day and go on an occasional day ride so the long distance quality of the RT was not really crucial. BTW, several months ago Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison between the BMW R1150R (naked) and the V11 Sport and the conclusion was that while the Beemer was a better buy, and a better all-round motorcycle, the V11 Sport was more connected to the riding experience and MORE FUN. I think that the V11 and the LeMans are very similar motorcycles but the LeMans has a slight edge on the V11 comfortwise, however, IMHO the LeMans will not approach your RT in terms of comfort and practicality. Joe in Modesto CA :helmet:

Speedy, go to the section of the forum labled 24/7 V11 and check out " Latest Ride Notes". (There are so many topics on this forum that I just found this one myself.) Lots of positives there.

Dittos on what the others said.

I have had most of the problems posted here and have not considered the bike to be troublesome. My 2000 V11S is an excellent bike that I would trust to ride coast to coast, but not to Tierra Del Fuego! When I post problems I am usually knit-picking or trying to be a mechano/techno geek. I think Guzzi riders in general are more do-it-yourselfers than riders of other bikes are. Once we get the bugs out of our bikes they are very reliable.

I have to agree with dlaing .Having come from a mostly British bike background Triumphs/Nortons etc I find tinkering with motorcycles to be some sort of therapy. My v11 is the first guzzi and the first new bike I have bought since 1975. And unlike my brit bikes once you get things sorted it stays fixed.There,s a wealth of information and advice on the various MG forums and this is one of my favorites.I only wished I had been bitten by the guzzi bug earlier.Reward yourself and buy the bike you wont regret it IMHO :P

9500 km / 6100 mi. All of them touring miles. I went from the dealer's showroom floor in Parma,Italy, across the Alps, to the UK & Scotland. Never failed me. Only a minor oil leak from the timing chain cover. From what I hear, Guzzis keep getting stronger & stronger as the miles pass.

Guest Jim in Dublin, OH

I too have a 98 R11RT and a 2000 V11 Sport and just added another Guzzi. I used to ride the RT about 12k miles a year - all year. When I purchased the V11 Sport I out on about 500 miles on the RT and so far this year about another 1k. The V11 Sport is an excellent bike for everything. It is more comfy than the RT on any kinds of roads. What it lacks are the nice bags and two up comfort that the RT has. My wife has started riding with me so I am looking for another touring bike - a la - LT or Goldwing. However, the RT is better than both (except maybe the Goldwing). I have not used any of the Guzzi side bags - as I find the RevPak tank bag works great for both bikes. I can easily strap camping gear, etc... on both with Helen Two Wheel bags. If you do any two up riding you will need to keep the RT - but if you can have only one bike - the V11 Sport is killer. In my area both BMW and Guzzi dealers are not the best. However, you can do all basic maint on both with ease - except you dont have to remove all the tupperware on the V11. I have notice many RT to V11 transfers - but most keep both bikes - the best of all worlds in my opinion.

Jim

Guest jimjib

I think its working out like my dealer said. Ususally a few things to deal with and get sorted...and then you just rack up the miles.