Screw head, not Philips

tmcafe

IMG_0372A.jpg

IMG_0373A.jpg

The head of the fore screw on the light switch assy looks somewhat like a tamper proof thing (the aft screw has a Philips head). Forgot what it's called and can't find any info. Also I'm wondering why Luigi put this kind of screw opposite to the reg Philips. Was it somehow intended not to be messed with? :huh2:

PS Sorry to ask one more thing unrelated to this subforum: how do I get the pics more reduced in size? (to be clicked for enlargement rather than be shown full size?). On my iphone I do see them reduced to 25-60 % but not on the computer. Trying to avoid taking too much space on the forum. :)

IMG_0372A.jpg

IMG_0373A.jpg

The head of the fore screw on the light switch assy looks somewhat like a tamper proof thing (the aft screw has a Philips head). Forgot what it's called and can't find any info. Also I'm wondering why Luigi put this kind of screw opposite to the reg Philips. Was it somehow intended not to be messed with? :huh2:

PS Sorry to ask one more thing unrelated to this subforum: how do I get the pics more reduced in size? (to be clicked for enlargement rather than be shown full size?). On my iphone I do see them reduced to 25-60 % but not on the computer. Trying to avoid taking too much space on the forum. :)

Well, it looks like buggered-up Phillips, but I detect the remnants of the extra "teeth" in the bottom of the hole. It's not a tamper-proof head, but it does take a special toolhead; I forget what they're called, but they look like Phillips cut on too steep an angle [75deg included angle instead of 90deg] with little pointy indents at the end of the end of the normal Phillips' "teeth."

Like I said, I forget what they're called. Only time I recall seeing them was on a Ford of some sort. Take a left-hand drill bit in a reversible drill, and drill it out. If the left-hand drill doesn't take it out itself, then use an EZ-out. Toss that stooopid thing as far away as you can, & replace it w/ a proper Allen-head bolt.

Phillips head screws are fine for 1930s technology, but we're living in the new millenium, and owe it to ourselves to use proper fittings, like Allen-head screws, that don't bugger-up when you look at them cross-eyed like Phillips screws and that fool thing you've got stuck on your bar.

FWIW, it was probably used by mistake, thinking it was a regular Phi'ps... typically, those things are only used by themselves, so you only have to have the one tool (& you know that going in!)

Well, it looks like buggered-up Phillips, but I detect the remnants of the extra "teeth" in the bottom of the hole. It's not a tamper-proof head, but it does take a special toolhead; I forget what they're called, but they look like Phillips cut on too steep an angle [75deg included angle instead of 90deg] with little pointy indents at the end of the end of the normal Phillips' "teeth."

Like I said, I forget what they're called. Only time I recall seeing them was on a Ford of some sort. Take a left-hand drill bit in a reversible drill, and drill it out. If the left-hand drill doesn't take it out itself, then use an EZ-out. Toss that stooopid thing as far away as you can, & replace it w/ a proper Allen-head bolt.

Phillips head screws are fine for 1930s technology, but we're living in the new millenium, and owe it to ourselves to use proper fittings, like Allen-head screws, that don't bugger-up when you look at them cross-eyed like Phillips screws and that fool thing you've got stuck on your bar.

FWIW, it was probably used by mistake, thinking it was a regular Phi'ps... typically, those things are only used by themselves, so you only have to have the one tool (& you know that going in!)

I think its a rounded off "Posidrive" ?

It's not a Posidrive. It's a mess! Traditionally there have been 3 types of these screw heads;Phillips,reed & prince and Posidrive. Who knows what is made now. You could look on SnapOn's website for further info.They would probably be first in line to make a screwdriver to fit this type of head.

Thanks! Sure looks like a mess. I should have added that I had no problem removing the screw with a Philips. In fact at first glance I too thought it was a buggered-up Philips, then same for Posidrive. What's the chance of encountering another one like it? Also I wonder if Luigi decided to use the odd screw head in connection with the fact that of the two screws on the light switch cover, the odd/fake Posidrive is much longer than the reg. Philips. :huh2:

Good info, I'll look it up.

• 3 weeks later...

It is NOT a Phillips because the sides of the 4 slots are parallel not tapered. Phillips has tapered slots which is why they are now an antique screw.... as you turn the bit, the tapered sides of the slots cause the bit to ride up out of the head and disengage. (For some reason the US still uses Phillips which is kind of like the cell phone system here... antiquated! and it is very hard to buy posidrive bits ,,, but don't get me started)

I personally feel it is a posidrive style (but may not have been manufactured correctly since it is not like any other standard screw head). I would use a posidrive bit and VERY carefully use an impact driver to ensure maximum engagement. emphasis on VERY! Be aware that there are three sizes of posidrive bit also!