Whats the longest trip you've done on a V11?

Gino Rondelli

Right Guys, planning a trip in May June across Europe to Turkey and back through Greece (to say hi to Dimitri) & Italy. I reckon its around a 5500 mile (9000K's) trip. Question is (and ignoring the fact you all love V11's) What spares to take? anything special to prepare before I go? will my ass die on the trip? What tyres will last the distance? My V11 is a 2003 registered but built in 01 with around 15K (miles) on it

At the moment its a toss up between taking my Triumph which I know is comfortable does 50mpg all day long and can do the mileage no problems but doesn't have much soul or the V11 which is relatively new to me (although have had / have plenty other Guzzis)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Guys, planning a trip in May June across Europe to Turkey and back through Greece (to say hi to Dimitri) & Italy. I reckon its around a 5500 mile (9000K's) trip. Question is (and ignoring the fact you all love V11's) What spares to take? anything special to prepare before I go? will my ass die on the trip? What tyres will last the distance? My V11 is a 2003 registered but built in 01 with around 15K (miles) on it

At the moment its a toss up between taking my Triumph which I know is comfortable does 50mpg all day long and can do the mileage no problems but doesn't have much soul or the V11 which is relatively new to me (although have had / have plenty other Guzzis)

If its a Sachs rear shock then check for corrosion and cracking of the lower "eye"(as you wouldn't want it to fail mid trip )the seals can fail but there isn't really any way to check this so if you have any doubts fit a Hagon monoshock (approx £250)and forget about it.

You could fit some heavier bar end weights to reduce the vibes but the only part I can think to carry is a spare "cam sensor" as this would not be possible to work around if it failed.

There is no reason I can think of that would make a well maintained V11 a bad choice for this trip !

I'm sure others will add their thoughts.

Have a good trip

Dave

4500 miles in two weeks.

Here's the ride report: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8941

I always put on a fresh set of tires, in this case Metzeler Z6 Roadtec, and put in fresh fluids before the trip.

I carry basic tools with me, as well as a plug kit and air pump. No spares, though...

If I was going on a long trip I'd feel better if I brought:

- Spark plug and cap in case of a tipover.

- a couple extra relays

- shifter pawl spring and instructions on how to replace it if it breaks.

I don't know if your bike is in the range of bikes that may have a defective spring and/or oversized pawl boss that can lead to eventual breakage. Mine went at about 15k miles. I know that forum members Belfastguzzi and Slug both replaced their pawl springs on the side of the road, but having done mine at home it's not a job I'd want to do for the first time on the roadside. If I was in that situation far from home I'd have the bike towed to a repair shop, give them the instructions and the part, and let them do the repair.

The pawl spring failure poll might give you some idea of how vulnerable you are.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=pawl+spring

Plug cap etc as above, plus

brake and clutch levers

small amounts of silicone sealer, Araldite / epoxy, tape, cableties, tieing wire, nuts/bolts/screws for leaks / cracks / breaks & other damage

latex gloves

rag

Hiya Gino, all I would add to the toolkit would be a spare phase sensor, gear selector spring and relays. They take-up no space but could save the day in the middle of nowhere.

:stupid:

I also pack spare levers (get pattern ones for less than £20), starter solenoid and araldite. If its a long trip, I take a few nuts, bolts, washers and cable ties too- never seem to use 'em myself but I'm always giving them to others who need 'em!

I've done a couple of 3000 mile trips around Europe on the V11- had a few breakdowns / problems but always fixable.

Have fun

Guy

Thanks guy's, the one thing I will say is there does appear to be some common problems even with low mileage bikes (

I often do these trips on a Norton Commando so used to carrying spares and having unsheduled mtce stops. I do like the idea of the challenge on the Guzzi though. I'll keep you posted and I suppose I'll have to call Roberto Tenni so he can order me "essential spares" for the toolkit!!

My longest trip was 4500.From the UK to Brno for the GP,Hungary,Romania,Bulgaria,Greece,Italy,Switz,France,then home.I did this on my V11 Sport.Did not take any spares.And the V11 never missed a beat.Although I did get a new set of tires at Agostini's! It was my first time doing that sort of distance on a bike.It took 21 days and 14 of those days it rained.