Whats the longest trip you've done on a V11?

Gino Rondelli

8000 miles in 4 weeks, Ireland to croatia and back,when the bike was new. Guzzi were quite interested in the trip to see how I did!

The shift spring broke in slovenia, and by a miracle I found someone to replace and fix it. For some reason the engine would lose revs once in a while, but it never got worse, and went away after a decent service in the uk. No one ever figured out for sure what it was.

all good other then that.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 weeks. not really sure how many miles I traveled though. I took the time off from school packed the bike up and just strated driving. I didn't take any spares with me and just got tires as I needed them. did the service where I could and just kept going. The trip after that though ( a weekend hop to san diego) my lighting went and in the process of fixing that I found I had a bent fram :lol: .

Other then that though. No problems

Ciao

Z

Mines always run just fine. I did two weeks, about 3000 miles (part of it was a meeting).

I suggest taking some aspirin, but I'm getting old and cranky.

Hmm, I might be making that trip again this summer as it turns out. I'll have to start a thread in a month or so for things to do in Maine.

I would take the Triumh instead. The Guzzi is a great bike for shorter trips, but the farther you go the soul & character of the bike will start to wear on you. The seat does start to feel like a bear trap after about 150 miles. As for reliability, if you gotta take the guzzi bring the plug cap, tools, zip tie, fuses & relays, & I would have to bring by throttle body balancer with me just to be on the safe side.

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd ressurect this, I ended up taking a Breva, there was one begging me to buy it in my local dealers window, recession hit so it was a good price (Trip story here http://ginoontour.blogspot.co.uk/p/turkey.html ). My V11 has been in a big poly bag since then in my brothers garage. However I have liberated it and intend doing a Euro tour (Scotland to Dover, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy (of course) Slovenia, Croatia, Italy again , Sicily , France (as long as they stop blockading gas stations) Belgium, Holland then the Ferry to Newcastle and home. This time there's no going back, I still have the phase sensor and gearbox spring I bought from Roberto Tenni in 2009. New tyres , wheel bearings and I'm off in a month woo hoo! May take my airhawk........... 

That sounds like a fun trip.

For us, we have had great experiences with trips on Guzzi's. The wife rides her V11 and I have had a couple different Guzzi's, like a Griso and a Daytona. I also used to ride a Buel X1 on these trips, but the wife has done them all on her V11 (she finally bought a second bike, a Ducati Monster). It has worked near flawlessly. I had an issue or two with the Buell, but the only issues she has had were relays acting up and a flat tire. Neither was a trip stopper.

One of our favorite trips was from the DC/Baltimore area to Indy for races. First it was F1, then it was for MotoGP. We would do most of the trip on two lane roads, WV and Southern Ohio have some great two lane roads. We also have done the Blue Ridge Parkway a couple times, and a trip up to Cape Cod (mainly on backroads, of course).

I hope to one day make it to the Pacific Ocean, but I think that will require two trips, one to go out (maybe in the fall) and another to come back.

Well, it doesn't sound like much compared to you all, but I trust my V11 enough by now to have made a 850 mile rounder from Los Angeles to San Francisco and back the other weekend.

The bike ran perfectly. My body? Not so much....;)

Best I can do on my v11 is about 400-500 miles a day. After that between the wind, vibration and my beat up body it's just not fun any longer and have to stop.

With these bikes reliability isn't the issue. It's the rider.

I would love to tour Europe on a motorcycle someday (with a stop in Mandello del Lario). That sound like a cool trip.

I've done a few 1,000 mile +/- weekends on a V11. I think my longest single day was close to 600 miles. That was on my Scura; San Diego to San Jose. It took me about 12 hours. The first 100 miles was all slab to get past Los Angeles - then Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) and lots of other twisty backroads. I get tired/sore on the V11 when going straight - but not so tired when there are lots of corners and I can move around on the seat.

By contrast - I did a two-day round trip to Phoenix recently on my BMW. It was much more comfortable, but that trip was probably 70% slab and 30% fun roads. I was not sore at all; that thing is super-comfy and it doesn't even know how to vibrate.

Longest trip for me was Vancouver to Prince George BC in the rain most of the way there, 480 Miles. Thinking seriously of taking the old girl to John Day next month for the National, just thinking about it scares the bejebers out of me, not sure why, I had no problem doing it on the EV which I rode back to BC from Denver sorting it out along the way.

Lots of runs through BC, Washington, Oregon, Idaho. Typically just short rides 2-4 days. Solid jamming though typical day 700-900 km, went over 1100 on a couple days but got kinda squirrelly. 

Ran down to the Siskiyous and Hwy 36 in California just to experience that road- well worth it. 

Stay off the 4 lane highways and interstates, 2 lane twisties only, craft beer and a tent.

• 1 month later...

Just back from the 7 country Euro tour, 4000 miles, starter relay issue in France (thanks to the forum for pointing me in the right direction), breather split in Italy (2 Bulgarian truck drivers helped me with tools and support to repair it temporarily) Newish oil pressure switch failed (in a rainstorm on the motorway in France, major panic having recently had an oil leak with the breather issue) I'm glad I took it, you can tour with clip ons. I'll do a write up when I get my breath back....... or my Blog explains most www.ginoontour.blogspot.com