The 8V cam recall: Pt 1

belfastguzzi

The Griso's left side head has become very noisy.

Has anyone, particularly in the UK, been through the recall process yet?

Does anyone know if parts have been available and if (UK) dealers are doing this work yet?

As soon as the recall was issued, a month ago, I contacted my dealer and asked when parts would be available and when I could have the work done. I got no answer. I have asked again and still no reply.

If I don't get any joy I may go to 'Customer Care', but they'll hardly supply me with the parts direct.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have officially issued a recall and your dealer should be able to access info on it easily.

I will see what I can dig up.

My Stelvio is being done on Friday. My dealer said they had about 40 bikes to do and after ordering the bits, parcels started arriving from Mandello full of oil filters and ancillaries but not the actual parts needing replacing. They have everything in stock now but it sounds as though the factory is having its work cut out to deal with the high demand for parts.

They have officially issued a recall and your dealer should be able to access info on it easily.

I will see what I can dig up.

Thanks GM, I have the info ok – MotoGuzzi mailed people directly. It's the dealer-service situation that I'm wondering about.

I feel your pain. My local dealer NEVER mentioned the trans recall for my wifes V11. I found out about it from this board.

Then when I asked him if my wifes bike was in the recall range, he said he would look into it. When he finally got back to me he said "the parts would be in in a couple weeks". I'm thinking I wasn't sure I wanted to have you guys do the work. But I wasn't going to leave them hanging, so they did the work. The bike was back in the shop (a different shop) a month after they did the work to have an oil leak fixed......

My Stelvio is being done on Friday.

Will you be there yourself, to see the surgery?

For what its worth I think that the instructions supplied in the 'Service Bulletin' by Guzzi are among the worst examples of a piece of technical documentation I've seen in the whole of my life so when I do mine I intend to do another of my photo-essays that will hopefully be a bit more complete, accurate and explanatory. I'll probably post it up on WG as it's a format I'm used to and I've told Todd he's more than welcome to pinch it and stick it up on Guzzitech but if needs be I'll C&P the whole thing here.

It really isn't a huge job but it IS mind boggling how bad the instructions are!

http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/public/com...en/002-2009.pdf

Pete

If I can overcome general fatigue, I'm going to get from behind the office desk and go look inside a rocker cover and see why it's so noisy.

I wish that I could just get the parts direct to do my own too.

My dealer still won't give me any reply whatsoever.

The technical bulletin even seems to say that it is the dealer's responsibility to contact the customer to whom they sold the bike! :lol::not:

If I can overcome general fatigue, I'm going to get from behind the office desk and go look inside a rocker cover and see why it's so noisy.

I wish that I could just get the parts direct to do my own too.

My dealer still won't give me any reply whatsoever.

The technical bulletin even seems to say that it is the dealer's responsibility to contact the customer to whom they sold the bike! :lol::not:

If it has started to rattle haul the Scura out of hibernation and DON'T ride the 1200! I have seen the results of people continuing to ride them until they finally go 'BANG!' and it ain't pretty! Also while Guzzi tell us in their infinite wisdom that a quick flush will rinse out all the crap I have to say I'd at least take the sump off for a good clean out and remember the oil pumps are the ONLY parts that get un-filtered oil so if bits do start getting picked up the pump will be the main part to suffer! Even if you are told it isn't neccessary I'd pay 'em to have the sump dropped, it's only an hours work or so and the only bit you'd have to pay for is the gasket. Any I do that have started to fail I'll do it anyway for no charge but I'm probably a bit odd like that. I'd rather have happy customers that come back for all the right reasons than angry ones comiung back for the wrong ones.

Mine remains tediously reliable but I have to admit that since I found out that some tappets are soft I've been riding the Mana more and the big 'G' less. I talked to our importer today and apparently our replacement parts are 'Imminent'. I take it this means that the Trireme has left Ostia and is even now being rowed towards the Suez canal by sweating Nubian slaves to the rythmic beat of a selection of Eurovison song contest winners greatest hits from the '70's and 80's! :rolleyes: .

Pete

I take it this means that the Trireme has left Ostia and is even now being rowed towards the Suez canal by sweating Nubian slaves to the rythmic beat of a selection of Eurovison song contest winners greatest hits from the '70's and 80's! :rolleyes: .

I dunno, Pete, that sounds too "up tempo" to me; you sure it's not to the sounds of the Percy Faith orchestra, interspersed with the soothing strains of Muzak?

Work all done- no evidence of any wear on the old parts.

Guy :helmet:

Was yours making much rackety noise from the top end? One side more than the other?

Just sounded normal- which is a bit clattery. I understand that if your bike goes, it is bloody loud, as the valve clearances get huge.

In that case, what are the things to look out for? (Pete?)

I'll get a look tomorrow.

– wide tappet gap

– swarf?

– loose feel / tight feel to rotation?

Whatever: if there is damage, or if it is on its way out, will it be obvious to see

and if there is nothing obvious to the eye then I can get back on and ride again?

It can be hard to judge what is normal noise and what is danger noise, when there is no direct point of reference.