The 8V cam recall: Pt 1

belfastguzzi

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Greg I dont think the material was the problem so much as the hardening process and the radius. HArd to judge old against new but to my weedy, failing eye the new ones appear to have a n ever so slightly greater radius.

Pete

Cast iron is not hardenable.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The Griso's left side head has become very noisy.

Has anyone, particularly in the UK, been through the recall process yet?

Does anyone know if parts have been available and if (UK) dealers are doing this work yet?

As soon as the recall was issued, a month ago, I contacted my dealer and asked when parts would be available and when I could have the work done. I got no answer. I have asked again and still no reply.

If I don't get any joy I may go to 'Customer Care', but they'll hardly supply me with the parts direct.

Is there a range of VIN numbers to which this recall applies. I am looking at an '09 Stelvio VIN ZGULZC0079M112432 and am trying to ascertain if this engine is sound. :rasta:

There is a list of numbers. In the end, they possibly recalled more than the original list...

Can you check with a dealer?

I've had a look for a list, but the one I have is for the original timing nut recall. Your number is later than that.

Have you checked to see if there is a list on Guzzitech? I've a feeling that Guzzi didn't allow the list to be made public.

I've seen this on Guzzitech (from Wild Guzzi)

Service Communication: 2009-001 USA PRE-UPDATE CAMPAIGN NOTICE

Technical Update Campaign-Griso 8V and Stelvio 4V 1200 Engine- Camshaft

follower/bucket replacement

Models affected: 2009 Griso 8V and 2009 Stelvio 4V models within a specified VIN

range

Griso 8V: ZGULSU0009M111892 to ZGULSU0009M112153

Production Date Range: 05/14/2008 – 09/11/2008

Stelvio 4V: ZGULZC0029M112385 to ZGULZC0009M112689

Production Date Range: 04/29/08 – 10/02/2008

Did you find out when the '09' Stelvio ZGULZC0079M112432 was actually manufactured?

• 1 month later...

A bit off topic but I have felt your pain.

I owned a 1983 750 V-4 Honda Interceptor that ate through camshafts frequently.

I got finally got rid of it and bought a 85 900Ninja which promptly ate a set of camshafts.

Later on, I bought a 1998 Suzuki TL1000S which had a main bearing problem which Suzuki ignored.

I had to buy a used motor and stick that in. I took the facked motor to Suzuki's Western Canada regional office, dumped the parts on their front steps, (While they were closed) took some photos of it and Cycle Canada magazine published the photos.

A couple of years ago I had a new 950 KTM Adventure which promptly exploded with 13,000 kms on it. Covered under warranty but 3 months to get it repaired.

Both Guzzis I've owned have performed great. Only issues were the Siemens relays.

• 8 months later...
"notched side facing related rocker" s/b "grooved end toward rockers" from what I make of the issue. Seems pretty obvious in the Guzzi-supplied pic: the dumbells have a groove machined on one end near the pivot "ball," and these ends are both up toward the valve rockers in the pic.

The usual machine-translated Italian is certainly no help: in this case, a pic is worth probably 10,000 words! :lol:

I did the full bananna on my bike today and yes, there are machined grooves in the top of the rods. I have to say I have no idea why :lol:

No, I didn't put a micrometer on them to see of there was some sort of infinitesimal difference in the 'Bells' of the 'Dumb' but they looked identical.

Another thought was that maybe at full lift the groove had been machined to allow clearance of the rocker edge. Nope! I can see no reason why they should have to be put in in any certain way but one has to presume the instruction means something so, simply, do as you're told!!!! (Shrug?)

Pete

Took mine out tonight and there is actually a difference in the two 'ball ends'. At least there is in mine. I'll explain and post a pic tomorrow or soon. Has there been any more talk about these elsewhere, since they were last commented on here a couple of years ago?