The 8V cam recall: Pt 1

belfastguzzi

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both pumps take in unfiltered oil. One then pushes it to and through the filter.

Sounds like there's a need for a damn good sieve on the pickups then! :luigi:

short question, is it wrong on intake and outlet side or just one side?

What do you mean Paul? Do you mean is the gap wrong?

The gap is bad on both inlet and outlet on left cylinder. I didn't measure the gap on right side but it is tighter.

thats what I wanted to know. And if anyone can make some decent pics of the failed parts

The Oz importer has heaps of pics of everything from mild wear to total destruction. Unforunately they won't let me publish them. On the one hand I can understand why but on the other hand I always feel that full disclosure is best. Dunno if I posted it here but I did get some failed parts and had them tested at the Oz mint which is an impecable metalurgical institution using a beakers machine and the tappets are way too soft, (Cams are fine @ 60Rw.+). I also think that a mistake was made in that the tappets are un-radiused and there is no camber on the cams to impart spin and no off-centreing of the lobe but the most obvious culprit is the

pete

thats what I wanted to know. And if anyone can make some decent pics of the failed parts

I want to see the work done, but customers aren't allowed to be in the workshop.

So I want to see the parts afterwards and I'll take photos. I don't know when the replacement parts will arrive. I'm sure it will be a few weeks before the job can be done.

• 2 weeks later...
I want to see the work done, but of course they say that insurance doesn't allow people to be in the workshop. <_>

So I've said that at least I want to see the parts afterwards and I'll take photos. I don't know when the replacement parts will arrive. I'm sure it will be a few weeks before the job can be done.

Will they hire you as a consultant for one penny as pay ?

Will they hire you as a consultant for one penny as pay ?

Good thinking, sir!

They will let me see the parts, when the bike is ready to collect.

I spoke to them yesterday. The new parts are fitted. He says the tappets and cams/cam followers were worn. No lumps of swarf.

He said they had the bottom off to check the oil pumps as I requested. I haven't heard more since then. I imagine that they are waiting now for new ignition lock and keys to arrive so they can be fitted before I go to collect the bike.

Why the new lock cylinder and keys?

Post pics of the defective parts!

p.s. good luck with your Griso. It looks too good to be an albatross around your neck.

The house was burgled. Took laptops, guitars, usual electrical goods, car – and a load of keys including motorbikes. :(

We were asleep upstairs.

So new locks are needed on house, bike, other car...

He said they had the bottom off to check the oil pumps as I requested. I haven't heard more since then. I imagine that they are waiting now for new ignition lock and keys to arrive so they can be fitted before I go to collect the bike.

Hmmmm. Interesting, since the oil pumps reside in the timing chest, not the sump. To check the pumps you have to drop off the alternator, unhook its drive belt, remove the crank pulley take out the frame bolts and then take off the timing chest, (You may have to remove the ECU too, not sure about that. Haven't done it yet.). Once the chest is off you can remove the oil pump gear and then the pump for inspection. Yes, it's a bit of an embuggerance but I'll be doing it if there is any hint of damage to my cams/tappets when I do the recall work. Dropping the sump should basically be de-riguere in any situation whare there might be bits floating about in te oil.

Pete

Hmmmm. Interesting, since the oil pumps reside in the timing chest, not the sump. To check the pumps you have to drop off the alternator, unhook its drive belt, remove the crank pulley take out the frame bolts and then take off the timing chest, (You may have to remove the ECU too, not sure about that. Haven't done it yet.). Once the chest is off you can remove the oil pump gear and then the pump for inspection. Yes, it's a bit of an embuggerance but I'll be doing it if there is any hint of damage to my cams/tappets when I do the recall work. Dropping the sump should basically be de-riguere in any situation whare there might be bits floating about in te oil.

Pete

Ah, well, I dare say all that stuff won't be happening.

Even the sump dropping isn't part of the procedure as recommended by Guzzi, as we know. It's being done because I stressed that I wanted the sump cleaned out and checked and I have generally been making a fuss with Piaggio/Guzzi about the whole circumstance around this (original dealer completely ignoring the recall and my messages, MG Customer Services not functioning etc..). Otherwise, under the MG recall instructions, it wouldn't be done. The only official instruction is to flush the engine through with an oil change.