changing tires

too tall

Guest ratchethack

No. But it won't be easy. I have a full set of custom made delrin tire spoons that I've used for decades on other moto's, but I won't do my own on the Guzzi. Though I did my first one myself, I find today's steel radials too hard to wrestle with, even when well lubed up with "home brew" Ru-Glyde (the good stuff). I take mine to a Pro with "no-touch" tire gear and happily pay the man to do it properly in a tiny fraction of the time, and save myself both the extended upper body workout and the great walloping mess in my home shop.

But o' course, that's just me. B)

FWIW:

"Home Brew" Ru-Glyde

water/Murphy oil/antifreeze

ratios - 13/2.5/1

(in US oz, this fills a commonly available, handy, 16.5 oz, spray dispenser size)

Have fun.:luigi:

It would be best to remove disc as it will move about less on the floor not to mention potential of damageing the disc, but why bother for a few dollars the pro's will do it and their flash machine won't scratch your rim if he knows what he's doing :D

TRUE....

But if you "diy", I use a vegetable oil cooking spray on dismounting and mounting tires. If you are going to do it yourself, find a car wheel to set the bike wheel in or on and not hurt the rotor. ALSO put a blanket between the wheels to not mar the metal of the wheel.

Guest ratchethack

Only a chimpanzee would attempt to spoon a tire off and a new one on directly on the floor.

Yeah, I'm sure it happens. :rolleyes:

If you're dead set on doing your own, a set of padded sawhorses (carpet remnants work well) makes as good a work platform as any, while sparing damage to wheel and rotors.

Only a chimpanzee would attempt to spoon a tire off and a new one on directly on the floor.

Yeah, I'm sure it happens. :rolleyes:

If you're dead set on doing your own, a set of padded sawhorses (carpet remnants work well) makes as good a work platform as any, while sparing damage to wheel and rotors.

As an apprentice I fitted hundreds of tyres with no more than than irons ,a rubber mallet and a bit of soapy water as tyre fitting machines were not that common, all on the floor. Tell me when u get a flat on a dirt bike out in the middle of nowhere do u pull your trusty sawhorses out of your back pack to remove the tyre, I think not. Perhaps you avoid the floor because when u bend over your big head causes u to lose balance :lol:

If you have the benefit of a bench vise, open the jaws open far enough to allow the tire to drop into the vise. Hold the wheel up about 1/2" above the jaws and tighten the vise to close any clearance of the tire. Then twist the wheel to break the beads from the wheel. Remove the wheel/tire from the vise and proceed with removal.

p.s. Do not to any maintenance to your bike simply to save money. Any thing you do to your bike , do it with supervision or confidence you are doing it correctly and (I will use this overused word) SAFELY. You have all winter to play with your bike. You can also read all the "how to", GOOGLE, and hang out with your buddies, watch and ask ?s. Then fiddle with your bike with an understanding of what your end objective should be.