How does one get the front bearings out?

al_roethlisberger

This would seem an easy task, or so I thought. I perused my service manual, and Guzziology, but once I looked at the bearings, I couldn't see any way to get leverage from any angle to pry or drive the bearings out.

I thought I might be able to drive the protruding inner tube/spacer on the left side through and push the right side bearing out, but it wouldn't budge with a rubber mallet, and I didn't want to tear anything up.

I flipped the wheel over, and from the right side looking inside the hub, I could see where the inner spacer and right side bearing inner race met. There was a very small gap. I was able to insert a flat-head screwdriver into the axle hole, and into that space and drive it a bit with the mallet. The spacer moved about 1/16th of an inch, but that was it. Additional pounding was tearing edge of the spacer up a bit(which doesn't matter since it's being replaced) but I wasn't making any progress, so I stopped.

So, I'm stuck with the bearings stuck in the wheel, which is OK, after all that is where they belong :rolleyes: ...however I sure would love to get them out so I can measure the inner spacer length, and install the new ones I'll need for my new forks :P

So if anyone has any tips on how to easily get these buggers out, I'm all ears :D

thx!

al

I know I've removed mine once, but can't quite recollect the process. I know I did go and buy and inner gear puller of dubious quality. Although it was the right type and size of tool, the gap on the spacer/bearings was too small for the teeth of the puller. I think I did the screwdriver thing, which opened up the gap enough for the gear puller.

Al,

I would stay away from heat if possible, the powder coating on the wheels would most likely start to bubble and cause another headache. :homer:

I made up my front axle spacer today and added a collar on one side to help keep the spacer centered between the bearings for easier wheel installation. The old spacer went through one bearing which kept it centered.

The old spacer in my wheel measured 104.5mm. so thats what length I made the new spacer to. I guess .5mm. is pretty tight tolerences for Guzzi's! :lol:

I will be done with your spacer in a few days. :thumbsup:

Mike

....golly, Jaap is gonna kill you guys for posting such big pictures! :lol:

Thanks guys, that's what I thought I'd have to do, that is pound the right bearing out via the protruding spacer..... I just didn't want to destroy something after whacking it quite vigorously with a rubber mallet and having it not budge at all :unsure:

Oh, and in regard to tearing up the powder-coat... too late :o But it wasn't in regard to heat, it was because of some hurried ham-fistedness on my part taking off the brakes and not paying attention. So now if have some nice pretty silver scratches/knicks along the outside of the front rim :wacko: Ah well, I was thinking about powder coating the rims anyway, and I need to check the rear splines for grease... one reason to take them off is as good as another :doh:

Either that or I'll just strip and polish the edge of the rim. That looked cool on my dirt-bike :sun: *sigh*

Anyway, OK well I'll whack the hell out of the spacer tonight. And thanks again for making the new spacer for me Mike. I'm sure .5mm over will be fine, and if not we can always shave it... and I'll probably take your offer to press the bearings back in Mike :thumbsup:

al