charging indicator light acts strange

huub

unless I am over 4K RPM's. Sometimes when I run around town on the bike, I never get it up to that RPM and ride is a net negative as far as charging.

Bob

sounds like you need to rev your motor more, these thing love it over 5k.. I ride over 4 k all the time,in or out of town.

Is this the only time the charge light comes on? Sounds like its something to do with the way the reg triggers the light. Please not this is a super rough explination. But to trigger a charge warning light the obious electrical componet to use is a diode this requires a higher voltage at one end for it to switch on providing a earth to the light. The actual voltage it triggers at can be adjusted buy the use of resistor, Your problem might be simply you battery is in very good condition (and possibly you leave it on trickle charge a lot of the time) So with the minor load the "surface voltage" is high enough for the diode not to trigger. When you load the system with something like a headlight without the motor charging it drags the voltage to below the trigger and the light illuminates. If this is you only problem i really wouldn't worry about it ihave been running an 1100 sport with a Accel regulator for a harley davision it has no facility for a charge light I haven't missed it ethier.

I like this explanation, because everything is quite normal then...

I like this explanation, because everything is quite normal then...

And I have to deal with it.

Changed the wiring harness today, but same problem remains. :o:(:D:P

And I have a new problem: no rev. counter anymore. Checked the connection, but thats fine. Anyone idea's?

And I have to deal with it.

Changed the wiring harness today, but same problem remains. :o:(:D:P

And I have a new problem: no rev. counter anymore. Checked the connection, but thats fine. Anyone idea's?

rev counter is fixed. I bought a new one to day...

I just read the specs on the alternater.

350 watts @ 5000 revs.

"I'm just charging my battery, officer! :wacko:

You are allowed to ride in other gears than 6th you know. 5000 rpm may not be the preferred cruising rpm for long relaxed rides, but it is pretty far from red line and I often ride more or less constantly in third gear (that's the 1:1 gear on my five speed) on curvy smallish roads. The engine sings at 5000 rpm, I believe it's happiest at that speed.

FWIW my bike puts out well over 14V at any rpm except idle. I believe most people having charging problems should check for pretty basic stuff like grounding or relay problems.

You are allowed to ride in other gears than 6th you know. 5000 rpm may not be the preferred cruising rpm for long relaxed rides, but it is pretty far from red line and I often ride more or less constantly in third gear (that's the 1:1 gear on my five speed) on curvy smallish roads. The engine sings at 5000 rpm, I believe it's happiest at that speed.

We must live in very similar areas topographically.

I ride in northwest CT, west Mass and east New York states.

If the road is straight for longer than 100 yards either you're on the highway or you've gone too far and ended up in Pennsylvania. :huh:

3rd and 4th gear are perfect for these roads and bouncing off the limiter is no sin.

:D

I merely thought it unusual that max output would be at such a relatively high rpm.

Testy bunch over here, eh? :P