Hard Bags on a LeMans

Guest russ

Thought the group might like to see my Hepco Becker Install. I am not as skilled as Rich, so could not make my own so it was open the wallet time. Easy install but not cheap. :luigi:

I am also using a 32 Liter Shad Topcase. I'm taking a trip this weekend up to the Ozarks and am looking forward to the extra capacity. :mg::thumbsup::bike:

For those of us that want to tour with our LeMans, this is the cat's ahole :moon:

post-8-1066692503_thumb.jpg

Al,

Always the observant one. :thumbsup:

About $750 +/- for new bags and mounts. My bags are a used set from a California that I picked up. It is one way to shave some $. The mounts are about $300 if you have the bags. Easy, well thought out install. High quality. :mg:

Al has an eye for detail! :D

I have the Hepco-Becker setup on my Rosso as well. The construction of the bags and mounts are on par with BMW. I have the 30 liter bags and I think I will also buy the 40 liter bags for the extended tours.

Mike

I swap my HB bags back and forth between the California and the LeMans. For my money it was a no brainer. I have the 40 L saddlebags and the 40 L HB trunk. Almost got room for the kitchen sink. Need to find a way to easily adjust the preload on the rear shock. Wonder if I could use some pneumatics from a Gold Wing.

Almost got room for the kitchen sink.

Humm, what is the conversion from the kitchen sink to number of wifes shoes she can take along? :lol:

Really, on our ride last week, we had to mail stuff home that would not fit anylonger. Amazing how stuff expands along the way. We also came home with some awards at the San Diego rally which was nice but geez, trying to fit it all can be a engineering nightmare. And yes, she did buy 4 pairs of shoes in Palm Springs that we had to ship home also. :homer:

I think the Ohlins shock is best with the remote adjustable preload for the V11 Series. Cranking her up for two up riding or for a kitchen sink is a breez.

Mike

Guest Johnny GB

Chaps,

Being engineeringly challenged, I really value reading your postings, thanks. Am thinking of switching from an 02 California aluminium to a Rosso Corsa but bags are an issue. Could you please confirm that the mounts fitted without or with mods and whether they are Hepco and Beckers own?

regards from 'blighty'

johnny GB :)

The mounts are indeed Hepco Becker. It comes as a comprehensive kit with longer screws where needed. The instructions are in German. There is a cross brace that fits under the fender. It has a tab that reaches up to the subframe. You have to cut a slot in the plastic cover piece to go around this tab. That was the only confusing part of the installation for me.

I agree with T. Moderately talented wrenches can have this install done in 2-3 hours. Newbies a little longer. Not difficult but it would be helpful if the instructions were in english. I just came back from a trip to the Ozarks and the bags were exceptionally good allowing me to carry both warm and cold weather gear. I needed it because the temp range was between 55 and 92! Bike cruised at 80+ the wole trip.

Guest Johnny GB

Thanks for posting the pic., that's really helpful. I'm waiting for the UK importer for HB to reply with availability and details, in the meantime could you tell me whether the frames include the luggage rack?

Thanks once again.

Luggage rack meaning the rack that mounts to the two side racks? Yes, it does come with the side racks. Humm, maybe thats why the rack setup cost $300.00 dollars. :blink: It is a very sturdy setup, I leave the rear rack off for the more sport touring look and when I do go for the long hauls, I just bolt it on. :thumbsup:

Mike