Confession

BrianG

yeah but I would be kept up at night worrying about the belts, valves and seals :unsure: I wouldn't worry if the dealer service for them wasn't around $800 small $1600 big :doh:

the aprilia is like $100 small $300 big, maybe $600 if I have them do the ohlins at the same time

these are relative estimates and I rounded up for the ducs and down for the ape :D

If you can service your 2 valve guzzi you should be able to do your 2valve duc and were i live parts r cheap and I know of plenty of high mileage duc's still going strong :D I know the 4 valves are a little more complex but its not fair too compare 4valve ducs to 2valve guzzi on servicing costs

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the 4 valves are a little more complex but its not fair too compare 4valve ducs to 2valve guzzi on servicing costs

Why not? The Ducatisti want to compare performance & handling of the 4v Ducs vs Guzzis, so why shouldn't there be fair play to include the service costs of the respective bikes?

Would I like to own a 4v Duc? Of course. Would I like to pay the service costs? No. Could I afford the service costs? Not a chance!

;)

If you can service your 2 valve guzzi you should be able to do your 2valve duc and were i live parts r cheap and I know of plenty of high mileage duc's still going strong :D I know the 4 valves are a little more complex but its not fair too compare 4valve ducs to 2valve guzzi on servicing costs

I wasn't, I was comparing 4 valve APRILIA's to 4 valve ducs, huge diff in service costs in my neck of the woods, like 3-1 ducs

I'm sure I could handle a 2 valve Duc they seem and I hear easier and cheaper to work on but I'd rather keep my gooz.

Why not? The Ducatisti want to compare performance & handling of the 4v Ducs vs Guzzis, so why shouldn't there be fair play to include the service costs of the respective bikes?

Would I like to own a 4v Duc? Of course. Would I like to pay the service costs? No. Could I afford the service costs? Not a chance!

;)

Who are the Ducatisi? comparing the 4v duc to the guzz is not fair for the guzzi in performance terms and not fair for the duc in service cost terms, the 2v duc is a much closer comparision.I suppose I don't pay attention to service costs cause I service my own and I work cheap :P Would I like to own a 4v duc ? not sure. for me the ideal would be 150kgs, 100 rear wheel hp and handle like its on rails, I prefer quick thru the corners any monkey can twist the throttle on the straights :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
As a long time HD rider, I noticed the true riders and hard core devotees became overwhelmed with the poseurs about two to three years after the Evolution motors came out. As soon as you didn't have to actually form a mechanical bond with your bike, which always needed maintenence and engineering changes to be dependable, it became appealing to allow the three day stubble to grow, and put on the new leathers, complete with "pirate accessories", and "find freedom and individuality in a group of thousands of like minded individuals..." :glare: Helped kill almost all the original appeal for me. Still a very visceral, fun ride though...

One of the best, I still kept my pan after I took it off the road in 2000. Too much had happened on those wheels in the previous 17 years. I had assembled 3 different versions of that bike, taken me to the Atlantic seaboard, the gulf of Mexico, west coast North America. That bike like all good bikes rewarded my efforts with times beautiful and ugly. My mind never closed I may have been a little difficult here and there but who here hasn't. I don't know what the current crop of humanity is up to, they used to be called straights, now they all ride the same, dress the same...are the same.Dull. I come from a family of motorcyclists one a factory rider for BSA in the early fifties, another the pres for a vincent club in the forties. We have had loop frames, tontis about since that ambassador came out of a pawn shop in Victoria in '76. I bought an RZ350 when I was running fishboats cause the the roads were too tight for a hardtail. Things develop, we grow. I just rounded out a 700km day in the rain on my wives SV650S, ran into a cat on one of the new HD deals and that guy was fine, open, aware. You all are fortunate you have ridden guzzis a long time, good level head on the Guzzi folk. I'm glad to be here. That lifestyle thing? At 46 my liver, back and cock could never do that again. Like the well travelled Indian Binder Dundatt, OK in your 20's, just foolish after that. At the gas pump I usually ask, Wheres the funeral?....fuckin straights. Cheers!

• 11 years later...
  • 9 months later...