Forum meet 2010

Hi all ;)

Seems like I'm wanted for this discussion... :D

Ok, here's a short status report on Switzerland vs. Denmark Rally 2010:

1) According to wifey moving to Switzerland will be decided early September this year. If that's the case I foresee me being extremely busy settling in and what have you. Therefore I suggest that we stick to plan Jaap (La Chaussee) or plan Scotland (MacGuzzi) for 2010.

I'm not wimping out of arranging a V11 Rally but timing is essential for everyone and several of you chaps have already mentioned that planning must start now. As soon as I'm settled I'll be more than happy to arrange a rally as promised. If we skip Switzerland for whatever reason I'll arrange a rally here in Denmark as promised. You got my word on that.

2) Going to the continent is expensive for UK riders but it works both ways. Ferry crossings come with a pricetag no matter where you come from - that's a given fact. I don't mind going to Scotland, Wales or wherever in the UK. Love the countries and the wonderful atmospehere there - hell, even the weather is like being home in Denmark! :rolleyes: Having said that it's my conclusion (feel free to slaughter me) that two rallies per year is the way ahead. One in UK; one somewhere in Europe. It's up to you if you want to participate in both or just one - your call. I know planning and hosting takes a LOT of time - just ask Jaap or BFG - and therefore I think we must decide whether or not bi-annual rallies are the way ahead. It's not much fun putting in numerous of days hard work if only a handful of riders decide to go to 'your' rally.

BR

Søren

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's settled then! I will do the "continental" meeting next year at the same place as in 2007, if Søren moves to Switzerland. ^_^ 3 to 5 september 2010 all right with everyone? I will contact La Chaussee if it's available and prebook the weekend, just to be safe.

Thanks, Jaap, the dates are already marked in my calendar.

Søren

Soren, thanks for the update and good luck with the decision making.

I don't want to labour the point about the UK meet and won't mention it again, but as I see it, the reason for having regional or national meetings is simply to enable people to get together for a day or two, when for the rest of the year they may never see another Guzzi. A regional or national meet does not exclude anyone, in fact it is so much better when others are able to travel from other countries to participate. While it is great to have, say, a California meet or an Italian meet, only a few people will be able to travel to attend. There is always primary value in arranging the local meetings, such as the UK meet, to make it easy for people within a few hundred miles distance to get together.

However, the regional meets can happen anyway and if people want to focus on a more European meeting as a 'Forum' meeting, that's great. It's a really good development. It's brilliant that Jaap has jumped in and given a date already. Exciting. I've only ever flown to Continental Europe before!

I've put the September '10 date in my diary now. (I'm sure there will be something more local for folk too, maybe in May in again?)

I like the idea of 2 rallies, the euro one I'll book some leave and make a holiday out of it, the uk one can be done on a dirty weekend. As long as the dates for the dutch trip are firmed up,(I have to book my leave about 7 months in advance) I'm there! :drink:

• 2 weeks later...
Belfast lets go to Islay in May, tour a few distilleries.

I'd be up for Scotland and if it takes in an island or two, all the better.

Just got back from an awesome week in the Highlands- weather was superb- we were riding on empty roads in the mountains in 25 degrees c!

Some nice potential places for a forum meet, including this one in Sligachan, Skye:

6320_121728944815_635879815_2940753_3355703_n.jpg

6320_121728949815_635879815_2940754_991555_n.jpg

A mate of mine owns the hotel and brewrey at sligachen

Well I for one would be up for a bash there- we did not stay in the pub for more than 5 mins because it was so hot inside, full of tennis fans watching a match, and the ale was off.

Sure it would be better in May or September- maybe a bit blowy outside if the weather got bad.

No midges in May, that camp site in summer is hell. Just been up the west highlands midges not as bad as the cleggs

I would especially like to get to Skye again

• 1 month later...