Front wheel spacer loose

tmcafe

Hi Tom,

I do have black front forks, and I think they're Marzocchi .  One set of pinch bolts on the right fork, and the left fork is threaded (Axle threads into it).  

I still have the issue of the spacer on the right being slightly loose.  And this is after torquing the axle to about 70 ft-lbs.  The good news is, is that the wheel does not seem to want to float left-to-right.  I've checked this and cannot pull the wheel to the right, while having my knee putting force at the axle area and pulling the wheel with both arms, on the right side.

Thanks for the offer!  I may take you up on it.  

I have this Friday off, and am heading to Western CT to care for my Mom.  If Friday doesn't work, maybe Sunday PM?    Or some other time?

Wanna give me a call or text?   508-340-9282  Verizon cell.  New building at work blocks signal from 8a-5pm.  Ok to about 9pm.

Mike "Stick"

i was looking at a Sport1100 this weekend and it seems the front axle spacer was on the left. Not sure at all if the forks are the same, although these did screw the axle directly into the left fork.

Normally if there is only one spacer it goes on the threaded side of the axle. The other side of the axle is stepped resulting in the spacer for that side being built in to the axle.

Normally if there is only one spacer it goes on the threaded side of the axle. The other side of the axle is stepped resulting in the spacer for that side being built in to the axle.

That's how the Sport1100 I recently looked at is set up (spacer on the left).

• 5 years later...

Hi. 
New to posting but not to the forum. I have usually found advice and information to help with any issues I have had but this time I’m driving myself bonkers trying to sort out the simplest reassembly of the front wheel spindle. Ive read through tis and several other threads but don't seem to be able to find the complete answer. 
I have a 2003 cafe sport with black mazocchi forks and a spindle axle that threads directly into the left hand leg (ie no nut) with two clamp bolts on the right hand leg (from the riders point of view).
The thing is I can’t see an order of assembly that makes complete sense unless I have mislaid a spacer. There seem to be quite a few different arrangements. Assembling the parts and tightening up as illustrated in the workshop manual results in the spacer seeming to be loose, and the head of the spindle deeper into the fork leg than I remember at disassembly.

Can anyone advise me on this? Have I mislaid a second spacer?

RIGHT LEG.jpeg

LEFT LEG.jpeg

Hi. Thanks.

The axle bolt is 25mm diameter at the R/H end and 20mm diameter at the left hand side. It threads directly into the left fork leg. The spacer has in internal diameter of 20mm and is about 15mm long, so will fit over the bigger R/H end of the axle, or (as I have it in the photo) over the inner sleeve that fits between the two (new) bearings, and protrudes through the L/H bearing.

It is possible that I've mislaid something...or it was never there, but I'm usually pretty careful about stuff like this.

Very puzzled. Would love to hear from someone with the same fork arrangement.

I don't have an '03, but it is normal to only have one spacer. The spacer goes on the threaded side of the axle, the other side of the axle is usually stepped so that the "spacer" on that side is machined into the axle. If your axle doesn't have that step on the "nut" side it may be the wrong axle.

Perhaps someone with an '03 Cafe Sport will be along. I tried to buy one years ago, brand new old stock. But the deal fell through.

• Like 1

No experience with that model either. I ass-ume from your description that the spindle is stepped with the RHS being a larger diameter than the LHS, if I understand it.

On the forks I've got with that sort of setup the larger diameter side of the spindle butts against the wheel, pushing it against the spacer which is installed onto the other side.

It appears from your pictures that the larger diameter side of the spindle is entering the wheel hub itself allowing the spindle to screw into its threads on the other fork leg until it bottoms. That would also be why the spacer is loose, as the spindle isn't being pulled into tension between the legs, pulling the whole assembly together, clamping the wheel at the same time

If that's the case, then spindle is the wrong diameter or the bearing installed has the wrong inner race (which seems extremely unlikely)

It could I suppose be one of these botched designs where that was the intention originally but didn't happen and the factory just installed a spacer on the RHS side as well.

It would take a lot to surprise most of us familiar with Guzzis produced in and around the millenium

@GuzziMoto beat me to it on the expalantion

Let's hope somebody with that model shouts up

• Like 1

Yes Thanks Gents.

Yes Weegie, you analysis of the situation is bang on, and accounts for my confusion over this. The wider part of the axle bolt does indeed screw into the centre of the RHS bearing...so it can't be right the way that it is.

Yes. Hoping someone who knows this set up will chip in...