KOSO RX2N

Guzzi2Go

How to connect KOSO RX2N to your Guzzi (and live to tell about it)

Recently I started going through speedo cables at an alarming rate, so I decided it is time for something electronic. Would keep it to myself, but since one of the forum members tried the same and asked some questions, here some info on how I did it. You may find it useful some day when your Vaguelia irreparably dies.

But first a few words about the device itself. It comes in a nice box one usually packs children toys in. Be sure to open it before your children get impression it is a present for them. You will get the instrument, instrument and sensor brackets, speed sensor, two temp sensors (oil/water) a lot of wires, screws, and a fistful of snap-on wire connectors. The type that cuts through the insulation connecting two wires together. Pretty simple. So far so good.

What you will need but not get are: sensor magnets, and the optional "L type speed sensor bracket". I found that it is impossible to mount speed sensor using the supplied sensor brackets, so I bought the one that is zip tied to the fork. It is the one for Acewell instruments which appears to allow a bit more flexibility to mount the sensor at a proper angle then Koso's, of course, after slight modifications. Using the bracket, the sensor is too far off the rotor screws so magnets are needed to enhance the pick-up. Three are enough, you do not need them on each screw and the only prerequisite is that they are equally spaced, so any combination of 1, 2, 3 and 6 is allowed. Glue them using two-component epoxy glue.

Instrument bracket will not fit 1:1 so you will need to make some sort of an adapter plate (see pictures).

Wiring

Now the interesting bit. You will masacre Guzzi's instrument wiring loom. In addition you'll need to go at turn indicator wires and need to pull an extra wire directly from the battery. Have a lot of zip ties handy.

Guzzi				 Koso					Comment
None				  Red					 Pull an additional wire directly from battery + (use one of the fuses)
Red/Black			 Brown				   Ignition key. This will power to instrument on/off.
Yellow/Black		  Brown+				  Tach signal[sup]1[/sup]
Black				 Black				   Ground
Yellow/White		  Green				   Fuel level[sup]2[/sup]
Blue/Black			Orange				  Oil pressure switch
Violet				Blue					Neutral switch
Brown				 Yellow				  High beam
Blue				  Violet				  Alternator[sup]3[/sup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink				   White				  Right turn indicator. Don't be tempted to cut the indicator wires. Cut the wiring loom instead. 
Green/black			Gray				   Left turn indicator

1 Tach signal - use RPM Wire Type B and connect directly to the tach connector. Insulate or remove the eye. No need to ground this wire!!!

2 Fuel level - This one will not work out of the box, as it is designed for float type meters. Still need to decide what to do with it.

3 Alternator - this one kind of works. A small voltage drop typically present there at engine close to idle speeds is insufficient to light a bulb but sufficient to get Koso's LED glowing. However, the LED switches off at higher (>3k?) RPM. Need to decide what to do about that too. I retract this statement. Just got back from a ride, and the LED works the same way as the light bulb. Gentle flicker at 1000 RPM, off above.

Once the sensor is mounted and connected to the instrument power it up. Spin the wheel and observe blue led on the sensor body. It will go out every time a signal has been picked up. Zip tie sensor cable to the brake line.

Setting up the instrument

Few things to set up:

- tire circumference = 1885mm (I think, too lazy to go and check now. Have Metzeler Z6.)

- number of pulses from the speed sensor (I pick up from three magnets, so I set it to three)

- number of pulses from the ECU (set it to 2 pistons, 2 cycles, high active)

- redline RPM = 8000 (yellow light at 7500 RPM, red flash at 8000)

- clock. Check your own time

- temperature, speed units (°F/°C or kmh/mph)

And that's it (will add if I've forgotten something).

10034590_890_FR_10.JPG

Koso_even_smaller.jpg

bracket_small.JPG

Looks really good, impressive even. Now all we need is a step by step guide for us dumbos with hundreds of photos and i may attempt it myself. Well done :thumbsup:

Looks really good, impressive even. Now all we need is a step by step guide for us dumbos with hundreds of photos and i may attempt it myself. Well done :thumbsup:

Patience, patience, my son.... :P

Still working on it.

Just for those that are interested. I did a bit of extra research trying to figure out what to do with the fuel level meter, so I connected a 12V power supply and 100 ohm resistor in series to the fuel sensor. Measurement shows that at -15 liters from the full tank, the fuel sensor swings from 500 ohm down to 100 ohm. At -13 liters it is still at 500 ohm, so it is not suitable for precise measurement. Works more like a switch.

Also, here is a table for KOSO RX2N fuel meter. It shows dependency of the fuel level bar graph (10 bars) of the input resistance. No guarantee though. For some reason it was very difficult to tune the measurement in. I checked as far as I had the nerves and it seems to be ok, however...

10(Full)    0-50 ohm
9         52-60
8         67-82
7         86-118
6        122-145
5        157-210
4        232-297
3        347-464
2        524-820
1(Empty) 850-1000

Also, for the sake of completeness, the EOBD lamp now misused for alternator is lit when pulled low.

• 3 months later...

Just another note....

If the speed sensor is too close to the pickup the speed indicator may at certain point stop working (drop to zero). Happened to me @110km/h when picking up from the brake disc, @140km/h after putting magnets on the brake screws.

The cure is to move the sensor AWAY from the pickup. Don't try as close as possible. Go AS FAR as possible.

Now it is tested and it definitely works @~210km/h ,or better as fast as the Guzzi can make it. :P

• 6 months later...

Just another note....

If the speed sensor is too close to the pickup the speed indicator may at certain point stop working (drop to zero). Happened to me @110km/h when picking up from the brake disc, @140km/h after putting magnets on the brake screws.

The cure is to move the sensor AWAY from the pickup. Don't try as close as possible. Go AS FAR as possible.

Now it is tested and it definitely works @~210km/h ,or better as fast as the Guzzi can make it. tongue.gif

Have you ever figured it out how to make Gas Gauge to work?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever figured it out how to make Gas Gauge to work?

No, not with the original Guzzi sensor. As stated above, the sensor will just give you full/empty indication. No gradual change which you could use for gas gauge. Different type of sensor must be used.

No, not with the original Guzzi sensor. As stated above, the sensor will just give you full/empty indication. No gradual change which you could use for gas gauge. Different type of sensor must be used.

So, basically you got all the stock functions as well as a few nice extras and you can see when yuo run up to empty. Is that correct? Did you try to figure out whcih sensor might be needed for fully operational Fuel Gauge?

Thanks in advance

Vlad

So, basically you got all the stock functions as well as a few nice extras and you can see when yuo run up to empty. Is that correct? Did you try to figure out whcih sensor might be needed for fully operational Fuel Gauge?

Thanks in advance

Vlad

I use water temp sensor as air termometer. I hoped to connect oil temp sensor through special oil plug, however, Guzzi's oil plug is smaller then anything else on the market. No fit. I left it as it is for the moment, but will try to glue oil temp sensor to the oilsump. That should roughly do it.

As far as fuel gauge goes, I am not using it at all. It is designed for float type sensors, which cannot be fit to older V11 ("outboard" fuel pump). Maybe something could be done on models that have pump inside the tank, as there may be just enough space to fit a float type sensor. I did quite some googling, but did not find anything that would fit.

Since we are talking of gasoline, I decided not to fiddle with selfmade sensors. I'd just hate to see a bike like V11 go up in a puff of smoke. :ninja:

Apart from that, it is a decent speedo/tach, which will give you a few extras like air/oil temp (oil temp with some DYI), clock, shift light, and a few less important things (like max speed).

If you would like to get rid of the magnet sensor on the front wheel you can use the S-4 sensor cable from Acewell. It fits on the transmission in place of the stock speedo cable. You may have to change the wiring plug but its only two wires. You may have to recalibrate the speedo ratio also, I did mine with the gps on my Iphone.

ace-s4.jpg

I use water temp sensor as air thermometer. I hoped to connect oil temp sensor through special oil plug, however, Guzzi's oil plug is smaller then anything else on the market. No fit. I left it as it is for the moment, but will try to glue oil temp sensor to the oilsump. That should roughly do it.

As far as fuel gauge goes, I am not using it at all. It is designed for float type sensors, which cannot be fit to older V11 ("outboard" fuel pump). Maybe something could be done on models that have pump inside the tank, as there may be just enough space to fit a float type sensor. I did quite some googling, but did not find anything that would fit.

Since we are talking of gasoline, I decided not to fiddle with selfmade sensors. I'd just hate to see a bike like V11 go up in a puff of smoke. ninja.gif

Apart from that, it is a decent speedo/tach, which will give you a few extras like air/oil temp (oil temp with some DYI), clock, shift light, and a few less important things (like max speed).

I was reading through your posts and realized that you might have the older V11 with external Fuel Pump and you confirmed it. As far as I know all 2003-2004 bikes have converted to an internal (inside the gas tank) Fuel Pump. Wouldn't these pumps be a float type? If anyone else know about this, please chime in.

Also I been digging around and and seen a Speedo censor mounted on the back wheel and reading the data off the rear brake rotor bolts. It looked like any a regular speed censor and from what I have gathered didn't require any magnets.

My Aprilia Falco has a very similar looking Speed Censor mounted on the back and reading of rear brake rotor bolts

I use water temp sensor as air thermometer.

Where did you mount this censor? I assume if you wanted to get more or less accurate outside temp readings it had to be as far away from an engine heat as possible.

Please let us know when you figure out an oil temperature. That would be very intersting.

Also one last question. If I assume correctly you could not set the actual mileage (odometer) on your new Koso dash. That means your bike suddenly becomes brand new. Am I correct?

Also do you kow what would happen to the mileage if you diconnect the battery. Does it keep accumulated mileage.

Looking forward to your answers and thank you in advance

As a side note just want to see what version would you guys prefer. Here are 4 options

In my opinion RX-1N is symmetrically balanced.

RX-2 has very cool features like ability to switch between 7 background color choices and having lighted RPM needle.

RX-2N also has option for lighted RPM needle but is missing changeable backgrounds and its symmetrically balanced as well. From searching the net I found out that Bimota Tesi 3D uses same or very similar instrument cluster

KosoInstruments.jpg

Another viable alternative is Translogic out of UK. It seems to be getting awesome reviews

8tls-md-install-2.jpg

I was reading through your posts and realized that you might have the older V11 with external Fuel Pump and you confirmed it. As far as I know all 2003-2004 bikes have converted to an internal (inside the gas tank) Fuel Pump. Wouldn't these pumps be a float type? If anyone else know about this, please chime in.

No, even on later bikes termistor type fuel sensor is used. It is just that there is a larger hole in the tank which may allow you to put something else in it besides the pump itself. Still I believe it would be a fiddly, if not dangerous, job.

Also I been digging around and and seen a Speedo censor mounted on the back wheel and reading the data off the rear brake rotor bolts. It looked like any a regular speed censor and from what I have gathered didn't require any magnets.

My Aprilia Falco has a very similar looking Speed Censor mounted on the back and reading of rear brake rotor bolts

Correct, speed sensor does not require any magnets. According to Koso it can pick the signal from the brake rotor or rotor bolts. However, I had some issues getting consistent signal off of the rotor, so I applied magnets. Magnets also bring a bit if extra height to the rotor bolts, so the sensor can be mounted more or less perpendicular to them.

Also, Koso advertises a speed pickup to be mounted on the speedo gear. Tried it out, but it did not fit.

Where did you mount this censor? I assume if you wanted to get more or less accurate outside temp readings it had to be as far away from an engine heat as possible.

I squeezed it together with the cables into black box, which I "velcroed" under the dashboard. See silver thing protruding out of it? That's it.

img0998s.th.jpg

Please let us know when you figure out an oil temperature. That would be very intersting.

Also one last question. If I assume correctly you could not set the actual mileage (odometer) on your new Koso dash. That means your bike suddenly becomes brand new. Am I correct?

Also do you kow what would happen to the mileage if you diconnect the battery. Does it keep accumulated mileage.

You are right. I found no way to key in actual mileage. As far as disconnecting the battery goes, the instrument sports some sort of non-volatile (flash?) memory, to keep settings and mileage even if battery is disconnected.

Won't keep the clock though. :homer:

FalcoLion, are you using all this info commercially? For supporting your online store?

Hubert

Hubert,

Do you see Koso dash on my website? I do want to add Koso to the website but the questions I asked are for personal use. I am not sure if you noticed but I do own V11 Ballabio . In an case it never hurts if one has som extra knowledge. I am very curious about aftermaket clocks.

So far I think I narrowed down to 3 superb choices

1. Koso- relatively inexpensive. Has some minor issues on interacting with Moto Guzzi (at least w/V11). Very simplified installation instructions

2. TransLogicMicro Dash 2- Looks like a great option and has been widely installed on street and race bikes. I know of a few installs on Ducati and Aprilia bikes without any issues.

3. Aim MXL- Another great option but somewhat expensive.

Even though the last 2 options look more complete and somewhat wider then Koso, I prefer Koso ability of RX-2 and RX-2N lighted needles. Also love the ability of RX-2 to be able to change background colors though its more cosmetic option. RX-1N look complete and nicely symmetrical.

Option 2 and 3 are supposedly are great but my beef with those is that gear indicator is way larger then the actual Speed numbers. If that is configurable it would be nice. In my opinion Tachometer and Speed are the most important pieces of info and should have precedence over Gear position indicator. Also both of these option track gas usage based on the distance and not on the actual quantity of gas in the gas tank. Its Ok but I prefer reporting thru censors

4. Evo2 by AviaCompositi - its somewhat pricey option but has some benefits over the other units. Looking very similar to the option 2 and 3 this dash supposedly allows you to record your current mileage on the new dash. Also can be preset from the factory to Kmh or Mph but can be changed thru the menus. Another benefit is that this the dash used by Ghezzi-Brian.

I don't know how it reports amount of gas le in the tank but I assume once Jaap get his new Sport Monza setup he will let us know