KOSO RX2N

Guzzi2Go

How to connect KOSO RX2N to your Guzzi (and live to tell about it)

Recently I started going through speedo cables at an alarming rate, so I decided it is time for something electronic. Would keep it to myself, but since one of the forum members tried the same and asked some questions, here some info on how I did it. You may find it useful some day when your Vaguelia irreparably dies.

But first a few words about the device itself. It comes in a nice box one usually packs children toys in. Be sure to open it before your children get impression it is a present for them. You will get the instrument, instrument and sensor brackets, speed sensor, two temp sensors (oil/water) a lot of wires, screws, and a fistful of snap-on wire connectors. The type that cuts through the insulation connecting two wires together. Pretty simple. So far so good.

What you will need but not get are: sensor magnets, and the optional "L type speed sensor bracket". I found that it is impossible to mount speed sensor using the supplied sensor brackets, so I bought the one that is zip tied to the fork. It is the one for Acewell instruments which appears to allow a bit more flexibility to mount the sensor at a proper angle then Koso's, of course, after slight modifications. Using the bracket, the sensor is too far off the rotor screws so magnets are needed to enhance the pick-up. Three are enough, you do not need them on each screw and the only prerequisite is that they are equally spaced, so any combination of 1, 2, 3 and 6 is allowed. Glue them using two-component epoxy glue.

Instrument bracket will not fit 1:1 so you will need to make some sort of an adapter plate (see pictures).

Wiring

Now the interesting bit. You will masacre Guzzi's instrument wiring loom. In addition you'll need to go at turn indicator wires and need to pull an extra wire directly from the battery. Have a lot of zip ties handy.

Guzzi				 Koso					Comment
None				  Red					 Pull an additional wire directly from battery + (use one of the fuses)
Red/Black			 Brown				   Ignition key. This will power to instrument on/off.
Yellow/Black		  Brown+				  Tach signal[sup]1[/sup]
Black				 Black				   Ground
Yellow/White		  Green				   Fuel level[sup]2[/sup]
Blue/Black			Orange				  Oil pressure switch
Violet				Blue					Neutral switch
Brown				 Yellow				  High beam
Blue				  Violet				  Alternator[sup]3[/sup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink				   White				  Right turn indicator. Don't be tempted to cut the indicator wires. Cut the wiring loom instead. 
Green/black			Gray				   Left turn indicator

1 Tach signal - use RPM Wire Type B and connect directly to the tach connector. Insulate or remove the eye. No need to ground this wire!!!

2 Fuel level - This one will not work out of the box, as it is designed for float type meters. Still need to decide what to do with it.

3 Alternator - this one kind of works. A small voltage drop typically present there at engine close to idle speeds is insufficient to light a bulb but sufficient to get Koso's LED glowing. However, the LED switches off at higher (>3k?) RPM. Need to decide what to do about that too. I retract this statement. Just got back from a ride, and the LED works the same way as the light bulb. Gentle flicker at 1000 RPM, off above.

Once the sensor is mounted and connected to the instrument power it up. Spin the wheel and observe blue led on the sensor body. It will go out every time a signal has been picked up. Zip tie sensor cable to the brake line.

Setting up the instrument

Few things to set up:

- tire circumference = 1885mm (I think, too lazy to go and check now. Have Metzeler Z6.)

- number of pulses from the speed sensor (I pick up from three magnets, so I set it to three)

- number of pulses from the ECU (set it to 2 pistons, 2 cycles, high active)

- redline RPM = 8000 (yellow light at 7500 RPM, red flash at 8000)

- clock. Check your own time

- temperature, speed units (°F/°C or kmh/mph)

And that's it (will add if I've forgotten something).

Hello Guzzi2GO and Everyone,

This post is probably quite late since you posted the original almost 2 years ago but i decided to give it a try. Recently, I purchased Koso RX2, not RX-2N like yours, and noticed that the wires are colored differently from what you posted on this forum. I am trying to install RX2 on 2002 V11 LeMans. Most of wires are the same; however, four the following wires are different (it's a table -first line is a header):

Guzzi..............RX-2N ( Yours).........RX2 (Mine)......Purpose

Blue/Black...........Orange...............Gray............Oil Pressure Switch

Violet ( Purple).....Blue.................White...........Neutral Light

Pink....................White................Blue............R Turn Indicator

Green/Black..........Gray.................Orange..........L Turn Indicator

Could you (or anybody else who has the info) please verify that wire colors in Guzzi column are correct? They were taken from this post. I don’t have a schematic to verify it myself. Can anyone correct me if I am wrong? Stupid me, I took out all wires from original Guzzi’s gage and not sure which one is which.

Question 2: On KOSO wiring installation schematic purple wire is described as EOBD light. Google says that EOBD stands for “European Onboard Diagnostics” . Do you think that Guzzi’s blue wire (alternator)should be hooked up to EOBD KOSO purple wire?

Question 3: TACH signal - i connected KOSO (Brown wire)directly to Guzzi's Yellow/Black wire that was connected to the original gage, is that correct? Since i have a different gage model i wasn't sure if there is anything else that i need to do re Tach installation.

As i mentioned in the beginning, I am installing KOSO RX2 on 2002 V11 Lemans.

Any comments? Did I miss anything?

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Here's the table as an attachment(can't make the post work) and KOSO instructions:

Dmitri.

Guzzi1.pdf

How to connect KOSO RX2N to your Guzzi (and live to tell about it)

Recently I started going through speedo cables at an alarming rate, so I decided it is time for something electronic. Would keep it to myself, but since one of the forum members tried the same and asked some questions, here some info on how I did it. You may find it useful some day when your Vaguelia irreparably dies.

But first a few words about the device itself. It comes in a nice box one usually packs children toys in. Be sure to open it before your children get impression it is a present for them. You will get the instrument, instrument and sensor brackets, speed sensor, two temp sensors (oil/water) a lot of wires, screws, and a fistful of snap-on wire connectors. The type that cuts through the insulation connecting two wires together. Pretty simple. So far so good.

What you will need but not get are: sensor magnets, and the optional "L type speed sensor bracket". I found that it is impossible to mount speed sensor using the supplied sensor brackets, so I bought the one that is zip tied to the fork. It is the one for Acewell instruments which appears to allow a bit more flexibility to mount the sensor at a proper angle then Koso's, of course, after slight modifications. Using the bracket, the sensor is too far off the rotor screws so magnets are needed to enhance the pick-up. Three are enough, you do not need them on each screw and the only prerequisite is that they are equally spaced, so any combination of 1, 2, 3 and 6 is allowed. Glue them using two-component epoxy glue.

Instrument bracket will not fit 1:1 so you will need to make some sort of an adapter plate (see pictures).

Wiring

Now the interesting bit. You will masacre Guzzi's instrument wiring loom. In addition you'll need to go at turn indicator wires and need to pull an extra wire directly from the battery. Have a lot of zip ties handy.

Guzzi				 Koso					Comment
None				  Red					 Pull an additional wire directly from battery + (use one of the fuses)
Red/Black			 Brown				   Ignition key. This will power to instrument on/off.
Yellow/Black		  Brown+				  Tach signal[sup]1[/sup]
Black				 Black				   Ground
Yellow/White		  Green				   Fuel level[sup]2[/sup]
Blue/Black			Orange				  Oil pressure switch
Violet				Blue					Neutral switch
Brown				 Yellow				  High beam
Blue				  Violet				  Alternator[sup]3[/sup]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pink				   White				  Right turn indicator. Don't be tempted to cut the indicator wires. Cut the wiring loom instead. 
Green/black			Gray				   Left turn indicator

1 Tach signal - use RPM Wire Type B and connect directly to the tach connector. Insulate or remove the eye. No need to ground this wire!!!

2 Fuel level - This one will not work out of the box, as it is designed for float type meters. Still need to decide what to do with it.

3 Alternator - this one kind of works. A small voltage drop typically present there at engine close to idle speeds is insufficient to light a bulb but sufficient to get Koso's LED glowing. However, the LED switches off at higher (>3k?) RPM. Need to decide what to do about that too. I retract this statement. Just got back from a ride, and the LED works the same way as the light bulb. Gentle flicker at 1000 RPM, off above.

Once the sensor is mounted and connected to the instrument power it up. Spin the wheel and observe blue led on the sensor body. It will go out every time a signal has been picked up. Zip tie sensor cable to the brake line.

Setting up the instrument

Few things to set up:

- tire circumference = 1885mm (I think, too lazy to go and check now. Have Metzeler Z6.)

- number of pulses from the speed sensor (I pick up from three magnets, so I set it to three)

- number of pulses from the ECU (set it to 2 pistons, 2 cycles, high active)

- redline RPM = 8000 (yellow light at 7500 RPM, red flash at 8000)

- clock. Check your own time

- temperature, speed units (°F/°C or kmh/mph)

And that's it (will add if I've forgotten something).

Hello Guzzi2GO and Everyone,

This post is probably quite late since you posted the original almost 2 years ago but i decided to give it a try. Recently, I purchased Koso RX2, not RX-2N like yours, and noticed that the wires are colored differently from what you posted on this forum. I am trying to install RX2 on 2002 V11 LeMans. Most of wires are the same; however, four the following wires are different (it's a table -first line is a header):

Guzzi..............RX-2N ( Yours).........RX2 (Mine)......Purpose

Blue/Black...........Orange...............Gray............Oil Pressure Switch

Violet ( Purple).....Blue.................White...........Neutral Light

Pink....................White................Blue............R Turn Indicator

Green/Black..........Gray.................Orange..........L Turn Indicator

Could you (or anybody else who has the info) please verify that wire colors in Guzzi column are correct? They were taken from this post. I don’t have a schematic to verify it myself. Can anyone correct me if I am wrong? Stupid me, I took out all wires from original Guzzi’s gage and not sure which one is which.

Question 2: On KOSO wiring installation schematic purple wire is described as EOBD light. Google says that EOBD stands for “European Onboard Diagnostics” . Do you think that Guzzi’s blue wire (alternator)should be hooked up to EOBD KOSO purple wire?

Question 3: TACH signal - i connected KOSO (Brown wire)directly to Guzzi's Yellow/Black wire that was connected to the original gage, is that correct? Since i have a different gage model i wasn't sure if there is anything else that i need to do re Tach installation.

As i mentioned in the beginning, I am installing KOSO RX2 on 2002 V11 Lemans.

Any comments? Did I miss anything?

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Here's the table as an attachment(can't make the post work) and KOSO instructions:

Dmitri.

Guzzi1.pdf

Reconnected the wires like it says in the manual, everything works.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased a RX1N and am planning on installing it in the next few weeks.

I am thinking of adding a solid-state relay (Opto coupler) in order to reverse the signal of the fuel sensor and get the fuel gauge working.

Is there a good link where I could get a wiring diagram of a 2001 V11?

I just purchased a RX1N and am planning on installing it in the next few weeks.

I am thinking of adding a solid-state relay (Opto coupler) in order to reverse the signal of the fuel sensor and get the fuel gauge working.

Is there a good link where I could get a wiring diagram of a 2001 V11?

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sportissimo.html

• 3 years later...

I am installing a KOSO RX1N on my 2001 V11 Sport.  The tach is dead and the reset shaft on the odo is gone, so this looks like a good solution.

I've got the mounting organized as well as the speed sensor on the front wheel. 

I would like to keep the LOW FUEL warning light but not sure which wire on the KOSO to connect to.  I suppose I could use the oil pressure light as I have an actual gauge replacing the pressure switch.  Any other suggestions for LOW FUEL indication.  

Thanks,    Stuart in Richmond, VA

Watching with interest as my koso cafe-combined is due any day now...
Stu, what front-wheel set-up have you put in place?  I did ask the forum about this but got no response (I went for the magnets in the end).

Stew

I've got 2 of the quite powerful magnets inserted into the rivet-like fasteners which hold the disks - will epoxy for permanent fitting. 

I'm planning to use one of the cast alum brackets with set-screw as provided.  Will mount a small s/s plate with a single M5 bolt thru a hole in the side face at bottom of fork leg.  Yes, I will drill a hole, have one bolt in there, and another holding the bracket.   (No tie-wraps or duct tape for this).  

Will post a few photos when complete in a couple days.  Working on an alum match plate to utilize the OEM rubber mounts and accomodate the KOSO mounting plate.  My Grob bandsaw will be humming this evening. 

Stuart