Sexy Lemans 1 in SF possible fake

guzzigray

http://tinyurl.com/n64lul

Just wanted to let everyone know to be careful about this bike. I have a feeling it might be a fake. I have asked the owner 3 times to verify the frame # on the right side of the steering head. Each time I have got an evasive/confused reply as if he doesn't know what I'm talking about.

I also pointed out that the # on the engine with prefix VC is an 850T #.

He insists it's a Lemans but without any proof. I'm not saying it's a fake but if anyone is thinking of buying it be careful.

thats a lemon mk1

Ya reckon? Marzocchi forks and shocks, delrin manfolds, aftermarket seat, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket rearsets, aftermarket sump spacer, plate says its a CX, VC engine number, Japanese master cylinder on the bars.

Not saying it isn't a nice bike but it is no more a Mk I than an Eldorado is! The only things that really say Mk I are the rearward flipping fuel cap and the rear mudguard.

Pete

Ya reckon? Marzocchi forks and shocks, delrin manfolds, aftermarket seat, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket rearsets, aftermarket sump spacer, plate says its a CX, VC engine number, Japanese master cylinder on the bars.

Not saying it isn't a nice bike but it is no more a Mk I than an Eldorado is! The only things that really say Mk I are the rearward flipping fuel cap and the rear mudguard.

Pete

It's definitely a builder's bike and not original,though it is nice to see aging Guzzis live. The brake mastercylinder appears to be an integral Brembo rectangular one. I recognize it as I just purchased one from YoYodyne to put on my one off 850T that's truly a mongrel but a kick in the ass to ride with all the mods and integrating parts from different models and years. It's best for the owner to be honest if he's educated on these matters but great to see a Goose on the road and not in a tree row.

I have been having quite the email exchange with the owner. I've politely pointed out all the proof to question the authenticity of the bike e.g 850T engine #, lack of frame # when repeatedly asked for it. The only response I get is "i know it's a Lemans"

It's really annoying me more than it should. I'm not buying it after-all but it's a shame that people do business like this. Someone will be buying the bike because they don't know any better.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that it could be a Lemans if the owner could prove it. He has now posted a sales receipt from Harpers on the ebay listing from 1988 with 24K miles. He is saying it has to be a Lemans because the receipt says so. That's all very well but engine #'s are the real indication... and it's not as if Harpers maybe didn't check??