Oily engine case

belfastguzzi

Could be the easiest, cheapest, safest thing to do would be buy the bloody gaskets and do the job yourself and not tell the bloke you aren't happy with.

Gaskets ain't cheap though. Base is probably 20 quid and head is thirty. Odd thing is that here at least the three different thickness gaskets are all different prices! What's that all about???

Pete

Dave, since I had to write it up for someone on WG I thought I'd cross post this here for your amusement;

Once upon a time there was a man who had an 8V Griso.

Despite never having any problems when the time came for him to get the cam recall done he decided it would be wise to do so.

At this time a Dutch friend of his was coming to visit and wanted to borrow his bike. Unfortunately, because the cam recall hadn't been done he couldn't lend him a Guzzi so he lent him another bike instead.

When the Clog-wog got to Sydney the other bike started blowing TCU fuses.

Feeling guilty the man quickly did the cam recall as the bits had arrived ran the bike for a few minutes, flung it in the back of his van and took it up to Sydney where he swapped bikes with the Clog-wog and waved him on his way.

A week later the Dyke-Thumber returned and the man thought the top end sounded very noisy so he whipped off the rocker covers to check the tappets, (Something he didn't have time to do before taking the bike to Sydney.) and found that one of the tappet adjuster nuts had jumped ship!

Now on the 8V motor the engine is essentially liquid cooled with 'Air Assist', great torrents of oil are delivered to the heads and drain back down to the sump through substantial galleries in the side of the barrels and it was down one of thes galleries that the wretched nut had plunged sumpwards.

"Oh Plop!" said the man, (Or words to that effect!) and he fished about down the galleries with a magnet in the vain hope that miraculously the nut could be recovered. Needless to say this was a pointless excersise, the nut was well gone.

"Double Plop!" he said, knowing he was now going to have to drop the sump to find the errant nut.

So off came the filter and he started undoing all the sump bolts. They all came out fine, except of course one, and that one was up behind the sidestand bracket. That one had obviously got a bit of grit on it or something and it only came out about four turns and jammed.

"Tripple Plop! With knobs on!" He exclaimed, knowing that this meant that the comparatively simple job was going to turn into a right Bar Steward!

But sometimes the golden eagle sh!ts and you get to stand underneath. The sump did drop a little eeny-weeny bit. enough to be able to peer into the gap. And there, lo and behold, was the nut sitting on top of the oil pick-up!

Dextrous fingers grabbed it eagerly and then the sump was bolted back up. The nut was re-installed, the tappets were adjusted and nipped up 'Just a little tighter' than before. new filter and oil were added, starter button pressed and the engine had returned to it's usual raucous cacophony of rattling gears and whining chains but without the noise like a steam-driven jackhammer in the right hand head!

Since that time the man in question has covered another 5,000 Km and there seem to have been no ill effects for all of it running around for yonks as a 7 valve motor! Tough these Guzzis!

Names have been hidden in this post to prevent embarasment to the innocent and the stupid.......

Pete

Dave, since I had to write it up for someone on WG I thought I'd cross post this here for your amusement;

Once upon a time there was a man who had an 8V Griso.

Despite never having any problems when the time came for him to get the cam recall done he decided it would be wise to do so.

At this time a Dutch friend of his was coming to visit and wanted to borrow his bike. Unfortunately, because the cam recall hadn't been done he couldn't lend him a Guzzi so he lent him another bike instead.

When the Clog-wog got to Sydney the other bike started blowing TCU fuses.

Feeling guilty the man quickly did the cam recall as the bits had arrived ran the bike for a few minutes, flung it in the back of his van and took it up to Sydney where he swapped bikes with the Clog-wog and waved him on his way.

A week later the Dyke-Thumber returned and the man thought the top end sounded very noisy so he whipped off the rocker covers to check the tappets, (Something he didn't have time to do before taking the bike to Sydney.) and found that one of the tappet adjuster nuts had jumped ship!

Now on the 8V motor the engine is essentially liquid cooled with 'Air Assist', great torrents of oil are delivered to the heads and drain back down to the sump through substantial galleries in the side of the barrels and it was down one of thes galleries that the wretched nut had plunged sumpwards.

"Oh Plop!" said the man, (Or words to that effect!) and he fished about down the galleries with a magnet in the vain hope that miraculously the nut could be recovered. Needless to say this was a pointless excersise, the nut was well gone.

"Double Plop!" he said, knowing he was now going to have to drop the sump to find the errant nut.

So off came the filter and he started undoing all the sump bolts. They all came out fine, except of course one, and that one was up behind the sidestand bracket. That one had obviously got a bit of grit on it or something and it only came out about four turns and jammed.

"Tripple Plop! With knobs on!" He exclaimed, knowing that this meant that the comparatively simple job was going to turn into a right Bar Steward!

But sometimes the golden eagle sh!ts and you get to stand underneath. The sump did drop a little eeny-weeny bit. enough to be able to peer into the gap. And there, lo and behold, was the nut sitting on top of the oil pick-up!

Dextrous fingers grabbed it eagerly and then the sump was bolted back up. The nut was re-installed, the tappets were adjusted and nipped up 'Just a little tighter' than before. new filter and oil were added, starter button pressed and the engine had returned to it's usual raucous cacophony of rattling gears and whining chains but without the noise like a steam-driven jackhammer in the right hand head!

Since that time the man in question has covered another 5,000 Km and there seem to have been no ill effects for all of it running around for yonks as a 7 valve motor! Tough these Guzzis!

Names have been hidden in this post to prevent embarasment to the innocent and the stupid.......

Pete

Pete

If you ever find the bounder, make sure you slap his dash for such shoddy workmanship, though it could be that the workshop manual doesn't specify that all eight valves have to be nutted-up, as it were.

I found myself in, ahem, I know someone who found themselves in a similar embarrassing situation – even though he followed the workshop manual to the letter. He was attempting to remove the sump, extracted all the bolts as described in the workshop procedure – but the blighter wouldn't drop, despite the ever more forceful ministrations of various 'persuaders'. Eventually he gave up and replaced every one of the bolts that the manual admitted to, astounded by the strength of whatever they had stuck the gasket with.

It was later discovered that there are three more bolts than the specific number given in the manual procedure and those bolts aren't visible to stupid people.

PS you mentioned Guzzitech 'debate'. What is being reported / complained about over there these days? Is it to do with the tappets problem? Has the leaking base gasket been experienced by others?

PS you mentioned Guzzitech 'debate'. What is being reported / complained about over there these days? Is it to do with the tappets problem? Has the leaking base gasket been experienced by others?

Oh.. they have all kinds of "serious" problems, like kickstand nuts that come loose and exhaust brackets that break. There should be recalls about that kind of stuff least someone get seriously hurt. :D

Oh.. they have all kinds of "serious" problems, like kickstand nuts that come loose and exhaust brackets that break. There should be recalls about that kind of stuff least someone get seriously hurt. :D

Ah yeah, that reminds me, for my list. My kickstand nut came loose.

Then I tightened it.