160 vs 170

gsp0702

I know, another tyre thread, but I am a slightly confused V11 owner at the moment, current rear tyre (BRIDGESTONE BT57) is only just legal, phoned around and looking at $340NZ to get a new bridgestone but can't match the front as thats running a BT45 or replace with a BT57 as they are no longer available so next best option is BT021. Different tread pattern so would be the same as running a different make on the back is the way I am thinking.

Or look for a decent used pair on the local equivalent to EBAY, being flogged of by trackday guys or racers. Downside probably stickier than I really need, biggest problem is that 170/60 seem relatively rare but 160/60 not so. Would a 160/60 fit onto my second series Ross Mandello? Will the smaller section make a discernible difference to the bikes hadling. Especially as I generally don't ride it like i stole it and i won't be hanging of it in corners.

Again apologies for the tyre thread.

Andy

Does your rosso have a 4.5 inch rim or 5.5? a 160 will work fine on the 4.5 and is actually preferred by many, including myself.I don't think a 160 will work on a 5.5,; a 180 came on the 5,5's, and some guys i know are running 170's, which gives the bike better "turn in" handling.( it will be quuicker turning side to side). hope this helps....and by the way, you should try to get some metzelers! :lol:

I know, another tyre thread, but I am a slightly confused V11 owner at the moment, current rear tyre (BRIDGESTONE BT57) is only just legal, phoned around and looking at $340NZ to get a new bridgestone but can't match the front as thats running a BT45 or replace with a BT57 as they are no longer available so next best option is BT021. Different tread pattern so would be the same as running a different make on the back is the way I am thinking.

Or look for a decent used pair on the local equivalent to EBAY, being flogged of by trackday guys or racers. Downside probably stickier than I really need, biggest problem is that 170/60 seem relatively rare but 160/60 not so. Would a 160/60 fit onto my second series Ross Mandello? Will the smaller section make a discernible difference to the bikes hadling. Especially as I generally don't ride it like i stole it and i won't be hanging of it in corners.

Again apologies for the tyre thread.

Andy

Not positive what width rear rim you have but I think it's 4.5 inches wide. If that's true then a 160 width tire will fit a little better then a 170. If it's a 5.5 inch rim then you want a 170. Different tire brands have different actual widths and heights. If you have a 4.5 inch rim you will find there is some difference there and you may find that a 160/60 is a bit shorter and you may need to raise the rear ride height or lower the front to maintain the same geometry. A 160/70 is harder to find but may be a better fit, again depending on the brand. If you measure the diameter/circumference of your 170/60 and then use that as a basis to either find a 160 width tire to replace it with or to figure out what changes you need to make to maintain the balance of your bike with a different diameter tire.

And for what it's worth, I would rather replace both front and rear tires together with a cheaper brand (like Continental) then just replace the rear with a non matching tire (or even a matching tire if the front is more then half way worn).

I'm sure others will pipe in with all kinds of differing opinions.

Many here really like the Pirelli Diablo Stradas. Good all around performer in all weather conditions. Tacky enough for my needs (almost to the edge, not quite), and I just got almost 10,000 miles out of my first set. Have moved the rear from a 180 to the 170. It makes a difference, not huge and soon not even noticed, on regular roads, at legal speeds...and I'd pop for the pair if at all feasible. Your only contact with the pavement, oh you know the rest... <_>

I think you'll like the change to the 160 (assuming you have the 4.5 inch rim). I do like the Pirelli Stradas, but have *heard* good things about the Bridgestone BT021. I always think, "No matter, the thing will be gone soon if I don't like it."

The track take-offs I've seen are all played up. Sure they might still have tread, but the heat cycling has made them hard as nails, especially off at the edges. Trying to save a couple bucks on used condoms may not be in your best interests *wink*wink*. :o

I'll check the rim size later, If I could get a reasonable deal I would probably change both front and back, however NZ doesn't have the level of competition you see in the states or the UK where for what I would pay for one tyre here I could get a pair.

Fundametally I don't like the idea of second hand tyres I am just feeling ripped of by the local tyre suppliers.

Cheers

Andy

Tyres have gotten pricey. My last Pirelli (163 USD), and the last Dunlop Roadsmart (158 USD), still needed around $30 to mount.

It's couple hundred bucks no matter how you look at it. Top that with: I'm lucky to get over 4000 miles on a rear. I have fun doing it, but I know I fall in to the "hard on tires" category!

I also have second gen mandello and currently run a 120/70 front (std size) and a 160/60 rear (down from 170) both are 021 bridgestones and give good grip. 160/60 is easier to find, slightly cheaper but although it,s supposed to help bike tip into corners easier I didn't really notice. but you can wear the rear all the way to the edge :lol: As for mixing brands I think its more a psychological than a physical thing as I have a mich pilot (frt) and bridgestone rear on my Ducati with no ill effects :D

Your Rosso has the smaller rear rim, so a 160 is going to work well. I'm running a 160/70 on my '01, I prefer it to the 160/60, just a bit taller for better clearance and slightly lower rpm's at cruising speed. BT021's are working very well, bare in mind though that only the rear of the 021's are dual compound.

Steve

I have a Rosso Mandello as well & I run the 160 rear tire. It does ride & handle better to me with the 160. As for brand the Pirelli is a very good tire, no doubt. I'm currently running Continental ContiForce front & rear & I think they are the best tires that I've tried so far.

my 02 Lemans has the 5.5 rim w/ 180x55 Diablo.. I love the Pirelli's.. but should I go with a 170 next time? I'm getting a flat spot in the center from a lot of highway riding.. would that be reduced w/a 170?

my 02 Lemans has the 5.5 rim w/ 180x55 Diablo.. I love the Pirelli's.. but should I go with a 170 next time? I'm getting a flat spot in the center from a lot of highway riding.. would that be reduced w/a 170?

A bunch of us here with the wider rims have downsized from the stock 180 to a 170. I don't think I've seen anyone post that they liked the 180 better than the 170. The change helps the bike turn in easier but I don't think it will help you get more mileage before the tire squares off from highway riding.

You should probably go to a more sport touring oriented tire like the Strada. The Diablo is a lot more of a sport tire that doesnt last as long anyway.