SF Bay Area Guzzi Dinners

**IMPORTANT UPDATE**

Well, I guess due to low turnout, coinciding with seasonal timing of the inception of this get-together(Winter basically :rolleyes: ) .... and the unfortunate overlap with the newly minted "SF Bay Ducati Night" on the same schedule....

Doc Wong has confirmed that "officially" the SF Bay Area Guzzi Dinners up at Alices, are no more :(

Now, that being said, he of course said that anyone can pick up the mantle to continue to organize them if they want... and asked me if I would like to. His only request was that if we do continue the meet(the last few I've missed BTW) that we consider moving it to the third week of the month, still preferably a Monday.

He didn't say why, but I can guess that what with the several MC and Auto clubs he is in, any other times would prove a conflict. With that in mind, to maximize the potential attendence of any ongoing MG Dinner for the SF Area, I would heed that advice to allow others to attend that may also have the same conflicts.

So, even with that in consideration, we are still considering asking the organizers of the "SF Bay Ducati Night"(which may be Doc himself, I'm not sure) if they would be willing to simple rededicate the meet&greet as the "SF Bay Italian" or "SF Bay European MC Night"... and just join forces.

As mentioned earlier, I think this would be a lot of fun, and considering the relatively small Guzzi community, might make for a more "reliable" turnout of attendees.

Anyway, I'll let you know as I know more. In the meantime, count on no one showing up at Alices this month, and maybe next, until then for the "Guzzi Night".

It's too bad, but then again, it may morph into something even better.

We'll see, and again, I'll let you know.

al

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnc
**IMPORTANT UPDATE**

Well, I guess due to low turnout, coinciding with seasonal timing of the inception of this get-together(Winter basically  :rolleyes: )  .... and the unfortunate overlap with the newly minted "SF Bay Ducati Night" on the same schedule.... 

Doc Wong has confirmed that "officially" the SF Bay Area Guzzi Dinners up at Alices, are no more  :(

Now, that being said, he of course said that anyone can pick up the mantle to continue to organize them if they want... and asked me if I would like to.  His only request was that if we do continue the meet(the last few I've missed BTW) that we consider moving it to the third week of the month, still preferably a Monday. 

He didn't say why, but I can guess that what with the several MC and Auto clubs he is in, any other times would prove a conflict.  With that in mind, to maximize the potential attendence of any ongoing MG Dinner for the SF Area, I would heed that advice to allow others to attend that may also have the same conflicts.

So, even with that in consideration, we are still considering asking the organizers of the "SF Bay Ducati Night"(which may be Doc himself, I'm not sure) if they would be willing to simple rededicate the meet&greet as the "SF Bay Italian" or "SF Bay European MC Night"... and just join forces. 

As mentioned earlier, I think this would be a lot of fun, and considering the relatively small Guzzi community, might make for a more "reliable" turnout of attendees.

Anyway, I'll let you know as I know more.  In the meantime, count on no one showing up at Alices this month, and maybe next, until then for the "Guzzi Night".

It's too bad, but then again, it may morph into something even better.

We'll see, and again, I'll let you know.

al

ciao all -

al spoke with me about combining these two events into one ... i am all for doing this, and look forward to seeing all the bay area guzzi owners next event, august 9th.

great wood fire oven pizza (best i have enjoyed outside of italy), great location (no deers to hit, unlike alice's at night;-), and a cool atmosphere for all motorcycle brands (i have kept this open to all brands since the event's inception).

btw, doc wong is one of our club members as well, so we are keeping it in the family ... perhaps even more so, now that ducati has entered into negotiations in acquiring aprilia/guzzi.

ciao,

johnc

Thanks John ^_^

....and I hope some of the local Guzzisti will drop by and particpate in the activities.

WRT to the Guzzi Dinners... still not sure what will happen there. Obviously it's previous incarnation is no more, but depending on various things, there is still the possibility of resurrecting it later in the month for a smaller gathering of MG owners.

We'll just have to gauge the level of interest.

I was up at Moto Italiano last night for a hour or so chatting, and they felt bad about the MG dinner meeting it's end, as they had always intended to make a showing themselves, but you know how those things go sometimes. Mike said that everytime they thought about it, they had "just missed" it.

He had some good suggestions though, and one of the main ones was suggesting a "better" location. It's not that Alices isn't a nice location, but it is something of a trek up into the mountains, and a location that many local riders had probably already ridden the weekend before. And plus, for some riders, they may have preferred that evening to just ride to the event, eat, and get home the easiest and most direct way possible... being full, tired, etc... and running back down the mountain may not have been attractive for some in that regard.

So, I guess if the MG dinner is to be resurrected at a later date, two things will have to be determined:

1) Does anyone care? I mean honestly :P The Ducati night may prove to be enough :huh2:

2) Find a good location that works well for people spread between the North Bay, South Bay, and even the valley. Although not as inspiring, probably some Italian restaurant with some feel of "heritage" along the Interstate is probably the best bet.

...and if people want to take a scenic route to or from the dinner, they are still perfectly capable and welcome to do so, but this allows those that just wanted to sit down and chat, and then high-tail it home... can do so ^_^

Anyway, all TBD... so we'll see.

In the meantime, yes, I hope to see some of the folks at the Ducati night get-together, and if Ducati ends up buying MG/Aprilia, well, the event will be even more "meaningful" ^_^

al

Guest johnc

thanks al -

aside from the potential purchase, this event is really about meeting other motorcyclists in the area ... and our two brands share a lot of commonality ... twin cylinders, lots of italian history (ducati is the second oldest italian brand still in production, i believe, right behind guzzi).

hope to see lots of guzzies august 9th.

ciao,

johnc

Guest johnc

very cool tony -

i believe we will find that guzzi and ducati owners have a lot more in common than other brand owners ... and look forward to meeting each of you.

ciao,

johnc

Guest johnc

ciao all -

i have had a few folks ask why they can't view the quicktime movie of the june 14th event through their browser ... the quicktime plugins for browsers are available for free @ http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ (in mac and windows versions).

the movie is located @:

http://www.robertallenkim.com/clips/ducatinight_ref.mov

ciao,

johnc

• 2 months later...