Continental Forum meeting 2010

Admin Jaap

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible to have the route of the nearby Eifel to check it out wich way we could take?

Last time it was very confusing where we were and where we have suppose to be.

A lot of stop on the way and look at the map. I think we lost a couple of a time.

It doesn't matter at all, I have had a good time anyway, but I say so just in case... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, the following week, September 9th-12th, I'm meant to be in Moritzbastei, Leipzig, Germany.

Could make sense to stay on and go that way on the bike.

Must check a map.

I know nothing about riding on the Continent. Would there be tolls on any of those roads, or anything else to consider when planning a route?

You've ridden abroad- youve been to Scotland haven't you??

You are welcome to join us on the ferry if you wish to tag along with some other riders- after an hour or so riding on the right will seem natural.

Won't be many tolls in Germany or the Netherlands- but will be some on the motorways if you cross over into Belgium or France. You may need the odd euro in the Netherlands if you cross a canal by ferry.

In Germany need to be aware of very fast BMWs, Mercedes and Audis doing 150mph on the unlimited stretched of autobahn- a dot in your mirror appears as a big black car up your arse two seconds later so need to be careful when changing lanes.

Need to plan for fuel stops too- sometimes there are very long stretches of road with no fuel at all so if in doubt fill up.

In Germany need to be aware of very fast BMWs, Mercedes and Audis doing 150mph on the unlimited stretched of autobahn- a dot in your mirror appears as a big black car up your arse two seconds later so need to be careful when changing lanes....

Sounds funny if you read it in this form. In fact it can be fun, of course. Quite often there are bikes behind the cans, pressing on them at least the same way as the cars try to press on you.

Oh, and white flashing lights are not the police or rescue cars, btw. Their lights are blue, all the same as your's.

There's not much real Autobahn left nowadays. Most of it is limited to 120 km/h. Add the dutch campers and you're not really save, but slow at least.

Hubert

Thanks Guy

Good advice and I would like to tag along, if the arrangements can be made to suit. Not least, it would be good in order to help get used to being on the wrong side of the road, as you say.

Hmmmm a lot of the huge slow camper vans who are blocking the nice roads in the Alps are not Dutch..... :whistle::whistle:

Now when you say that... I've never noticed it before ;)

Besides that, the german forum has one bloke who was not too shy to give a long report how lovely it was in the alps last summer with mummy up on the highest and nicest passes - with his huge new motorhome. This being a very friendly forum he got friendly comments only, of course.

Hubert