Ulster 2 – the 2010 meet

belfastguzzi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's where I fancy being based this time. It's in a beautiful place on the North Coast: Ballintoy, near Ballycastle.

It would be perfect for seeing some of the 'touristy' places that we talked about last time. It would also make a run to Donegal easier.

In this case, the best ferry crossing from Scotland would be to Larne.

I have discovered that there were Moto Guzzi rallys at this place in the 1990s.

Sheep Island View Hostel http://www.sheepislandview.com/

I think that there is also camping. I will find out.

What do you think?

I will need to gather definite numbers soon to make a booking.

Sheep Island View is located in the village of Ballintoy - onsite we have a post office and village store, internet access and a residential lounge for guests. Our Hostel has a large well laid out kitchen area with multiple cooking and eating locations. We also have a Camping Barn and external camping facilities for travellers. Guests can also use our free pick up service which covers the towns of Ballycastle, Portrush, Bushmills and the Giants Causeway. The area is also well serviced by public transport with a frequent shuttle bus service between the Giants Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge during the summer months. Although a small village, you will find nightly entertainment in the local pubs with traditional music on several evenings.

I see there is more info about facilities, accommodation and nearby attractions, including Bushmills Distillery, o this site: www.discovernorthernireland.com

Hostel in centre of village with bus stops at the door. Belfast/Portrush/Ballycastle bus operates all year with the Belfast/Ballycastle/Coleraine Coastliner service July to September. Close to Whitepark Bay and Giant's Causeway with Carrick-a Rede Rope Bridge nearby. Great for coastal walks and ideal for Ulster Way walkers. Pubs and restaurants 150 metres. Self catering kitchen with group meals available. Free pick up service from neighbouring towns.

Talking about weather and landshape is there difference between Scotland and the place you name?

BTW I am coming with a friend and another friend. The three caballeros on the CARC machine B)

The three caballeros on the CARC machine B)

That's great Antonio.

I seriously considered buying a secondhand 1200 Sport (2 valve) myself.

You are asking about how Northern Ireland and Scotland compare?

Often the weather is colder and wetter in Scotland, particularly in the highlands where it is further north.

The mountains are bigger in Scotland, but there are many similarities between the two places. The north coast of Ireland has much dramatic and beautiful scenery with cliffs, beaches, rounded mountains and flat plateau with valleys ('glens' as we call then here and in Scotland). I like this location because it is also close to Donegal, on the north west of Ireland. Donegal is more rugged and mountainous: very beautiful. It is popular with Germans!

Over the next months I will make a web page/site, like last year, and put photos on it.

See belfastguzzi.com for last year's site, with links to photos.

All the days have been booked at work so me and Louise are good to go, think we would want a twin room so that I don't keep people awake with my snoooring :D

Brilliant! Did you look at the proposal for the North Coast location? I'm waiting for some info back from them on accommodation breakdown. Then booking can begin.

What do you think?

I am thinking of going, just working out the time off, Oh and Harry Boyle is maybe going as well.

Hmmmm not much choice......

In fact, you may be correct.

The effects of our winter is having a catastrophic effect.

The frost and generally bad weather has been wrecking road surfaces and opening potholes. A couple of the main road races have already been called off. It seems that the state of the road has been the, or a, major factor. There is never enough money to keep our main roads repaired, so there is little chance of having back roads fixed.

That, plus local club difficulties, the results of death inquests, general h&s issues, lack of money ('fans' don't even want to pay the price of a programme for their day's entertainment) and perhaps some lack of local management capability... the outleak for the coming season's calendar is bleak.

We have these totally professional teams, highly financed teams and they are operating in an environment that is set up by enthusiasts.

– Coroner John Leckey

I'm getting confused as to where to post this(!), but I'll be there, maybe with John. Donegal would be lovely, spectacular scenery, as long as it's not raining. Nevermind, it'll be be dry in the pub.

I'm getting confused as to where to post this(!),

Well this isn't a bad spot to post it.

I'd prefer that you don't post it on Wildgoosechase.com or somewhere else where it will just get lost.

At least it's nice and quiet here. :closedeyes:

Don't post it in a post box either.

I will start a new thread about it soon, when I get some more info about the place.

I was thinking of asking JRT, his capacity as Mod of this forum to tidy up the thread, though it's as easy to just start a new one.

Copied over from the Special Silly Place and another place, until I get a proper topic thread organised:

Ulster 2 (working title)

Spring Bank Holiday 28-31 May 2010

Here's where I fancy being based this time. It's in a beautiful place on the North Coast: Ballintoy, near Ballycastle.

It would be perfect for seeing some of the 'touristy' places. It would also make a run to Donegal easier (easier than from Portaferry).

The best ferry crossing from Scotland would be to Larne.

There were Moto Guzzi rallys there in the 1990s.

Click here: Sheep Island View Hostel

I think that there is also camping. I will find out.

What do you think?

Sheep Island View is located in the village of Ballintoy - onsite we have a post office and village store, internet access and a residential lounge for guests. Our Hostel has a large well laid out kitchen area with multiple cooking and eating locations. We also have a Camping Barn and external camping facilities for travellers. Guests can also use our free pick up service which covers the towns of Ballycastle, Portrush, Bushmills and the Giants Causeway. The area is also well serviced by public transport with a frequent shuttle bus service between the Giants Causeway and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge during the summer months. Although a small village, you will find nightly entertainment in the local pubs with traditional music on several evenings.

I see there is more info about facilities, accommodation and nearby attractions, including Bushmills Distillery, on this site: www.discovernorthernireland.com and on the area: discovernorthernireland-Antrim

Hostel in centre of village with bus stops at the door. Belfast/Portrush/Ballycastle bus operates all year with the Belfast/Ballycastle/Coleraine Coastliner service July to September. Close to Whitepark Bay and Giant's Causeway with Carrick-a Rede Rope Bridge nearby. Great for coastal walks and ideal for Ulster Way walkers. Pubs and restaurants 150 metres. Self catering kitchen with group meals available. Free pick up service from neighbouring towns.

Carrick~o~Rede.jpg

from the beginning to sunday.

Sunday morning I will go.

Saturday will be the important day for a ride somewhere then. I don't think you, or others, will want to go a long way because you have to travel back on the Sunday. So the lakes would be too far. The good thing is that you can have a good ride up the Coast Road, when you come to the place from the ferry – so we don't need to do that road again.

I think you will like to see some places nearby, like the Giants Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, maybe some sandy beaches, Bushmills Distillery....

Look HERE

Have a look at the map here: http://www.northantrim.com/temporary_map.htm

This shows some of the attractions in the area: http://www.walkforfun.co.uk/causeway.html

http://www.northantrimtourism.com/index.ph...0&Itemid=54

and maybe we should do the road here: http://www.northantrimtourism.com/index.ph...6&Itemid=36