Bringing back the red to my Pork Chops

df2

I want to bring back the red to my faded porkchop, cause Pink just doesn't cut it.

I was thinking some rubbing compound and a dremmel with the polishing bit.

Anyone have a better suggestion? I don't really want to pull the part.

Thanks

David

Guest ratchethack

Looks like no progress since early August, David?

For the owner of a red frame Sport, there's nothing quite like the sheer horror of pink pork chops. :o

The sun will do it every time -- eventually. Sounds just like it was parked in an employee parking lot in the same orientation to the sun, probably for years. :sun:

With considerable elbow grease, the pink oxidation can be rubbed out and the original deep finish will return. A Pal of mine gave up (after about a minute of rubbing, I think) and had his off for powder coating. To each his own. :huh2:

Say David

This look familiar?

2000v11001.jpg

2000v11002.jpg

Rubbing compound is your friend here, but I wouldn't use a Dremel. Too much risk of burning the paint.

But o' course, that's just me. -_-

Yup, that's exactly what it looks like. Red as blood on one side and pink as a Pansie on the other. Really kind of embarrassing around the guys.

Especially Guzzi people, they point it out in less than 30 seconds after I drive up to the local hang out.

The dremmel has a buffing attachment but I'll see what good old elbow grease does with the rubbing combound,

I earlier tried using a medium strength cleaner and rubbing and that did squat.

Yup, that's exactly what it looks like. Red as blood on one side and pink as a Pansie on the other. Really kind of embarrassing around the guys.

Especially Guzzi people, they point it out in less than 30 seconds after I drive up to the local hang out.

The dremmel has a buffing attachment but I'll see what good old elbow grease does with the rubbing combound,

I earlier tried using a medium strength cleaner and rubbing and that did squat.

Pleas take some before and after shots

Looks like no progress since early August, David?

Say David

This look familiar?

Rubbing compound is your friend here, but I wouldn't use a Dremel. Too much risk of burning the paint.

But o' course, that's just me. -_-

Boy that is familiar , that's my bike ! How funny !

The chop is slowly coming out red again. I've put about 2 hours in on it and I'm about half done. I have pics and will post them tonight for the work so far.

Using:

rubbing compound

spinning detail brush (to apply)

cotton rag to rub

orbital buffer (but not often)

I only get rare opportunities to get into the garage and work on it so it may take a while for final pics.

David

Very good job! I'm surprised that the color is coming back so well. Btw if you remove the shifter pedal, footpeg and the rear brake master cylinder bracket your work will go a lot faster and easier. It cant be fun trying to polish around all that stuff.

BEFORE

2691922670054253292yXlhrA_th.jpg

AFTER 1/2 AN HOUR

2591333060054253292pLcXqb_th.jpg

AFTER AN HOUR +

2402765790054253292zYTLuy_th.jpg

You going to mask off everything around it & spray it w/ a layer of clear laquer to keep it from re-oxidizing again? Or at least rub some sunscreen on it? :luigi:

:thumbsup:

I'll end up removing the foot controls. I just figured on polishing it well with some UV protectant wax and keep that up.

Besides, I park it in the garage on the opposite side from the window so I don't expect it to be sitting directly in the sun

like the previous owner had. That's why one chop was pink and the other wasn't, that was the side facing the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I took mine off and had them sandblasted and powdercoated. Look like new and and aren't supposed to fade again.

Same here, that's the only permanent fix. MG used a multi-coat "candy" sort of finish that can only be polished so far before cutting through the candy red into the gray/silver undercoat.

Al

Same here, that's the only permanent fix. MG used a multi-coat "candy" sort of finish that can only be polished so far before cutting through the candy red into the gray/silver undercoat.

Al

Are they relatively easy to remove or lots involved to support the bike?

Bob