Stelvio: Problem with the radial wheels

Dimitris

Dear Stlevio owners,

Had anyone any problems relating to air loss from the wheels of the Stelvio? A friend of mine complains that almost every 2 days he has to add air in the wheels. The problem is spotted in both front and rear wheels.

He has already checked the tyres. No holes. Nothing.

Thank you

Dimitris

Dear Stlevio owners,

Had anyone any problems relating to air loss from the wheels of the Stelvio? A friend of mine complains that almost every 2 days he has to add air in the wheels. The problem is spotted in both front and rear wheels.

He has already checked the tyres. No holes. Nothing.

Thank you

Dimitris

Hi Dimitris! [What's a good greeting in Greek?]

Two things for keeping air in motorcycle tires:

1) All Schrader style valves leak. The faster you go, the faster they leak [assuming the normal "vertical" style valve stem] due to centrifugal forces depressing the valve. Get metal valve caps with the o-ring or rubber gasket inside them to seal the valve stem, preferably hex shaped caps so you can tighten them with a wrench rather than pliers. Even finger tight is good w/ the hex style, since you can get better purchase than with round ones...

2) Almost all motorcycles & cars come with rubber valve stems. They're crap, but they're cheap & easily installed, so that's why the manufacturers use them. The 1st time you change tires, swap out the rubber valve stems for metal ones. They'll typically last the life of the vehicle, and won't develop leaks at the interface with the rim. Since you'll be spending a few $$ [or drachmas, rubles, euros, whatever] for them, you might as well spring for angled metal valve stems & resolve the access issues at the same time, so future air pressure adjustments are simplified. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, there are cases in which the sealing of the spokes does not work so well.

Yes, I think that was the cause. I don't know what happened since then.

Almost certainly the o-rings that are used to seal the spokes. It's a really perverse system and the main one I've stuck with the Brembo alloy wheels on my Griso.

Take wheels off, dunk in a bath full of water and watch the spokes. The one/s with bubbles coming out are the ones with f@cked o-rings.

Pete

The spoke sealing, no new wheels from warranty, maybe a few new seals. I have a nice manual from Guzzi how to fit them. Mine do not lek, no additional air between new tyres

First lines from that:

1) We do not recommend cleaning the wheel with high pressure cleaning systems, whether hot

or cold water is used.

If you do intend to use a high pressure cleaning system, keep the jet nozzle

at least 50 cm from the area in which the nipple passes through the rim (see Pos. 30 in Fig.

20).

Bringing the jet too close to the nipple may force dirt between the nipple itself and the rim,

compromising the air tightness of the assembly and damaging the seal.