Top end work, 1100 Sport

raz

Cams and lifters revisited.

I have seen a 2004 V11 Sport and now a 2000 Jackal cam shaft where the lobes are not smooth. As Greg Bender has seen on the hydrolic units where the right exhaust lobe shows signs of wear, I have also noticed this on the non hydro units. The wear on the cam lobe turns the smooth contour to a more of a peak (meaning, you finger will notice it). Also, the lifters will have some small pits. I did the check to see if the lifters went flat by placing a bit of oil on its face and putting another lifter face to it (face to face) if the lifters stick together (means that they are flat or convex), an old lifter check. If the lifters wont stick together, then they are good (only if they are not pitted). By the way, the Jackal engine only had 12,000 miles on it, I wonder if the cam hardness is just under par and would going with a aftermarket cam be any better? I will be pulling down my old V11 Sport engine with about 25,000 miles on it and wonder if the cam will have the same type of wear that I have experenced in other motors.

Anyone else notice this too?

Thanks, Mike

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture Slav has indicates trouble with the lifter foot (the part that rides against the cam lobe). This pitting is the beginning of failure. When you see this it is time for a new cam and all lifters !

Anyone who removes the lifters and does NOT reinstall them in the same bores will have failure for sure.

By the way. This convex of the lifter foot is so small you can't see it.

The picture Slav has indicates trouble with the lifter foot (the part that rides against the cam lobe). This pitting is the beginning of failure. When you see this it is time for a new cam and all lifters !

Anyone who removes the lifters and does NOT reinstall them in the same bores will have failure for sure.

By the way. This convex of the lifter foot is so small you can't see it.

definatelly! With more than 100.000km on the clock I was aware of this, actually new lifters are ordered and some local shops asked with cam regrinding. Let's see the outcome. I believe that properlly renewed camshaft should work at least a year, consider it is a street-illegal bike.

keep you posterd. Interesting thing is that the rocker arms are allright without any sign of damage.

cheers

Slavek

CZ

Hi Raz,

so how's your new cam working?

I actually have no idea, I haven't even checked valve lash since :rasta: but I will soon. I am mostly concerned about the rockers because I fixed them by hand. If they look worse now I'll just replace them with new ones but they were not cheap.

With more than 100.000km on the clock I was aware of this, actually new lifters are ordered and some local shops asked with cam regrinding. Let's see the outcome. I believe that properlly renewed camshaft should work at least a year, consider it is a street-illegal bike.

Why would a properly renewed one only last a year?