Sixth South'n Spine Raid 2010

docc

There are icicles on the gates; 20-50 oil hangs like molasses; I'm wearing a scarf and four layers to type this in the basement and the Porter doesn't need refrigeration. It's time to ponder warmth, rides and the fellowship of the Six'th South'n Spine Raid "somewhere in east Tennessee."

Com'ander Hagan and meself believe June 4-6 may work, splitting the difference between M's Day and F's Day.

As usual, we'll gather on Friday, wander about on Saturday, and split up on Sunday after sharing anti-inflammatories and crimped connectors. :bier:

Bring out those *vintage* V11s! No use keeping them in the garage in North Carolina any longer! We won't even tease you (for more than a day or two) if you trailer the beastie in! :blush:

Jaap, you and Paul should really come in for this one. It's OK, we allow Grisos, 'tonas, and all sorts; and your ignition system could be rebuilt on the hotel tarmac. (Special solvents could affect your perception of the result*) :cheese:

Chime in, pony up, and otherwise; it makes me wonder what will happen next? :mg:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're trying to hone in on a proper venue. Define that as: walking distance to food (or Pizza delivery); beer sales at the gas stop across the street; a Saturday loop without looking at the sun all day.

Perhaps you local chaps could help out. Any suggestions?

We're trying to hone in on a proper venue. Define that as: walking distance to food (or Pizza delivery); beer sales at the gas stop across the street; a Saturday loop without looking at the sun all day.

Perhaps you local chaps could help out. Any suggestions?

Moutain View Cabins. On Rafter RD, about 100 yards up from the Shell Gas Station (beer) at the 360 Bridge. Many of the cabins are on the river. Most have grills. They all have their own rest rooms (important for the ladies) in the cabin, Cable TV, and frigs. They have small cabins for two and medium sizes ones for parties of 4 & 6, and a monster one that sleeps 14 & has pool table, fooze ball table, & bar. Some of the cabins have jacuzzi's. No covered parking; but, it's paved. The River is really up this year from all the rain. Trout fishing should be really good at Mountain View Cabins. They start at $39.95 a night & go up depending on the size & location. The brand new ones that are on the river, (flat screen TV's) are $79.95 I think. The place is 2 minutes from anyplace in Tellico Plains.

Located on Tellico River at Rafter Road

Mountain View Log Cabin Rentals

133 Rafter Road

Tellico Plains, Tennessee 37385

Owners: Mary & Stephen Saunders

GPS Coordinates To Our Office:

N 35 Degrees - 21.773' - W 084 Degrees - 16.773'

Mountain View Cabins

423-253-6218

8005.jpg

MtTop1a.jpg

NewCab1.jpg

When I have a bunch of relatives come to town, I put them up here. (My place is still a construction zone)

Powder Coated the H&B racks, the handle bars, and the bar ends. Put on CRG mirrors too.

DSC01874.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

Minimike

Looks great, Mike. Kathi saw them and also approved.

That said, seems to me, at least, that the ideal site has a restaurant in walking distance (not to be confused with Bataan Death March; Kathi's light, but after she's had a second martini, I have to carry her! :drink: ). In a perfect world -- OK, my perfect world -- said restaurant is Mexican, too. :food: I saw the mention of grills there, but I need the pannier room for grappa and similar essentials, so not sure about bringing "fix'ns."

Finally (and I regret this all seems negative, because we like the looks of the place and it may well be great for the Raid), the 7-day cancellation policy can be pretty hard on motorcyclists. In our case, if sctt2525 is right on his rain prediction (and he may well be, given Raid history!), we have the days blocked on the calendar and will just make it a MINI trip. Think management might be flexible on that?

Again, thanks for the idea.

Bill

---

Jaap, you and Paul should really come in for this one. It's OK, we allow Grisos, 'tonas, and all sorts; and your ignition system could be rebuilt on the hotel tarmac. (Special solvents could affect your perception of the result*) :cheese:

Chime in, pony up, and otherwise; it makes me wonder what will happen next? :mg:

I'd be up for it, if it weren't for the distance (I get serious saddle pains after 1637 miles in one day) and the gas prices.

Aw, I figured the forum *proceeds* were making you so fabulously wealthy that you would be keeping a Stelvio here in the States and a Griso in New Zealand so you always had a ride as your private jet brought you about! :whistle:

I'm still not convinced we can buy ale anywhere near the mountains. Apparently, it cuts into the local moonshine trade . . .

And who said anything about rain? Reports of rain at the South'n Spine Raid are grossly over exaggerated by riders who have been wet getting there. Or getting home. Or riding on that diesel oil slick last year for twenty miles.

IMG_3556.jpg

Aw, I figured the forum *proceeds* were making you so fabulously wealthy that you would be keeping a Stelvio here in the States and a Griso in New Zealand so you always had a ride as your private jet brought you about! :whistle:

I'm still not convinced we can buy ale anywhere near the mountains. Apparently, it cuts into the local moonshine trade . . .

And who said anything about rain? Reports of rain at the South'n Spine Raid are grossly over exaggerated by riders who have been wet getting there. Or getting home. Or riding on that diesel oil slick last year for twenty miles.

IMG_3556.jpg

Don't get carried away, docc. Remember your thinking that the SSR ought to be an "invitational" gathering. Do you really think jaap worthy? :notworthy::whistle:

As for rain ... I've heard it happens ... but we muddled through. :race:

SSRrain3.JPG
SSRrain1.JPG
SSRrain2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[This is a cross-post from guzzitech.com forum]

Anyway, did a lodging recon for the Raid.

DSC_0104s.JPG

DSC_0112 2s.JPG

We were in MINI, not Moto Guzzi, as the logistics of picking up Kathi after school, etc., and beating Friday weekend traffic out of Atlanta meant four wheels were more practical. I generally don't care for "practical, but that little beast is (almost) as much fun as a motorcycle.

Drove up late Friday, had dinner, and spent night at one of the options, the Lodge at Tellico. It's website is here: http://www.lodgeattellico.com/.

Then, on Saturday, went over to Mike's Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters, a great store, btw, and then looked at some other lodging opps, e.g., http://www.tellicologcabins.com/.

After that, up and over the Cherohala Skyway, which is, IMO, one of the greatest m/c roads of all time. The MINI loved it, too. BTW, we were top down the entire way from Atlanta, Tellico, Robbinsville, and home. Only put it up when parked. In upper 60's and '70's most of both days, tho snow-covered mountains (and shoulders and overlooks on Cherohala) with altitude dropped temps into upper 40's. Cannot believe I did not take pix of the road:-( , but Mike's pic here, http://preview.tinyurl.com/CherohalaMike, give's you an idea.

Anyway, here are some of the Lodge and other points,

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=118848844803%3A1351424788

Docc's going to decide and post soon where we'll stay and other details.

Bill

All right then! We're on for June 4-6 in Tellico Plains with a Saturday loop counterclockwise over the mountains and through Deal's Gap.

We'll be in the neighborhood of Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters, so I hope Mike still has that tank bag I wanted to pick up last year!

I'll call Walt today at The Lodge at Tellico and get a room for Josh and I. We'll probably go for the "basic" since we spend most of the time out in the parking lot threatening parked motorcycles with musty tool rolls.:luigi:

Walt said there was a 5% discount if we end up with several rooms, so mention the Moto Guzzi V11LeMans South'n Spine Raid and we'll pool our 2.63 Euro and send it to Jaap so he can come next year . . .

Remember, (or just otherwise, be aware), this is a non-event, not affiliated with this site or any of the posters or the administrator. There is no organization or support. There is no paperwork, no registration, no obligations, and no solvency. In simplest terms, there are a few folks on motorcycles getting together and everyone is welcome. Yeah, VFRs, too. Even lawyers and chiropractors . . .:sun: