Sixth South'n Spine Raid 2010

docc

Well, looks like no Dragon this year. Closed until July due to rock slides. Thank goodness the Skyway is a nicer ride anyway.

Joe in Atlanta

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

Quite true, Joe. Deals' Gap is compromised (more than usual). We'll come up with an alternate route. Expect counterclockwise-ness.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**** Expect counterclockwise-ness.

OK, I am a soft-headed, liberal-arts kind of guy, docc, but help me out here.

Counterclockwise? In early June, the days are already pretty long, but, at that edge of the CST/EST divide, the light is, I think, weighted at sunset side, not sunrise. In other words, counterclockwise sends us into the sun, at least if we ascend the Cherohala in the a.m..

Given the US 129 closure at Tenn. State line, not sure original plan of heading (or, as had thought, returning) from the ridgeline to the west, vic. Dayton, will work, as the loop on the north is now blocked. Still, it's super country and there a bazillion grand possibilities.

So, just sent you link via email that still does the horizontal v. vertical thing -- we are both blessed by and the victims of topography -- but might work, at least CCW. Oh, I was a maroon and forgot to save that; please retrans if you think of it, tho it's relatively easy to recreate.

This is a 240-mile loop that first descends Tenn. 315 & 30 to US 64, then east to Tenn 68, north to Tenn. 123, becomes N.C. 294; back to US 64 to N.C. 141 to Junaluska Road to Wayah Road, then Otter Creek Road, Tellico Road to N.C. 28. That'll carry us to the Store for the typical sights and sounds, then back to Tellico Plains over the incomparable Cherohala Skyway for benchracing, beer, broads ... oops ... I forgot, Kathi's coming. What I meant was ...

Anyway, while we will still return to the west by this proposed route, the sun will not, I think, be low enough in the sky to be a bother when we run the Cherohala. Always better on your back, but should still be well up at that time of day. I checked the tables a few weeks ago and saw that the sun rises c. 6:20 and sets c. 8:20 EST in Tellico Plains that day. Assuming a "civilized" start following the night before and a double-Zocor breakfast, I would think this a 6-hour ride plus stops, that would, if we left at 8 a.m., have us back in the jacuzzis by 4 p.m., and correspondingly later if departure delayed. With sunset 4 or so hours later, we should be fine.

Bill

As Dr. Venkman would have said, "I love this plan! I'm excited to be part of it! Let's do this thing!"

Oh, and thanks for the jacuzzi invite . . .wink.gif

I've laid in the course in Garmin MapSource from The Lodge to Mike's (Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters) which shows 230 miles. We may end up with a little detour around Otter Creek Rd. Except for certain Gravel Demon Riders who will ford the Little Tennessee River at flood stage on their EVs. Two up. And still be back to the hotel before the rest of us . . .

Anyone interested, PM me and I will email the Garmin route to you so you can know immediately when we've missed a turn.:whistle:

I've laid in the course in Garmin MapSource from The Lodge to Mike's (Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters) which shows 230 miles. We may end up with a little detour around Otter Creek Rd. Except for certain Gravel Demon Riders who will ford the Little Tennessee River at flood stage on their EVs. Two up. And still be back to the hotel before the rest of us . . .

Anyone interested, PM me and I will email the Garmin route to you so you can know immediately when we've missed a turn.:whistle:

Uhm, docc, if that's the goal -- Lodge to Mike's -- I'd recommend this: http://snipurl.com/v7tg7

Lots shorter, i.e., more time for beer and talking about riding. :whistle:

Bill

Ahw, ya made me look! Since I never actually got my jacuzzi confirmation, I suppose we'll ride over the divide and meet you back at Mike's.

You'll be all pruny by then. And that doesn't account for the effects of grappa.:drink:

After missing the last two Raids,I'm all in for this one.Made the room reservation today.Looking forward to seeing you all. :food::race::bier:

Dan

Great, Dan.

Kathi wants to know if Lydia is coming, too, tho your description of her work life on w/g makes it sound as if she has more work than life! :huh2:

Look forward to seeing (and Lydia?) in June.

Bill (& Kathi)

Kathi was out of town, the weather was grand, so it seemed a fine time to do a recon of a loop docc and I had planned.

Weren't sure that we hadn't picked out a gravel portion from maps, and, while we can do that for short stretches, dropping pillions in ruts or worse is just not the key to a successful ride of that sort.

So, off I went: http://snipurl.com/vep8e

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

At six weeks out, it looks like there are six riders already registered at the Tellico Lodge. Already, two or three will have their wives along and we'll get to meet one fellow's young son! There are two or three others riding over from Columbia that will split off for the Keith Code Track School at Barber's on the new BMW sportbike.

There are often a couple who drop in on us unannounced just cause that's their style!.

So far, I'm counting four spine frames in the mix. They've become so valuable and vintage no one really wants to bring them out of the garage . . .:rolleyes:. They're like Vincents, you know . . .:oldgit:

Really, if you're anywhere close, come on by at least for the evening on Friday or Saturday and we'll all compare oil hose routing . . . or you could go ride 195 hp BMWs in Alabama (tough call, I know . . .)

Ride well, docc

• 2 weeks later...

I may be able to make the Saturday ride this year. Where would the start point/time be located? k

I may be able to make the Saturday ride this year. Where would the start point/time be located? k

I'm supposing we'll kick sidestands up at 0900 EST from The Lodge at Tellico in Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Walt, the Inn Keeper, has a restaurant there and we'll head out from that coordinate after a proper breakfast. The Saturday route remains dependent on the status of rock slides and road closures as we draw closer . . .

Can't wait to see you! docc

Well Guys. Looks like I lost the family fight. My mom and wife tag teamed me about attending my niece's wedding. I finally raised the white flag and told them I would cancel a nice ride on some awesome mountain roads with a bunch of great guys so I could put on my black suit and attend another somber event.

I had my reservation, vacation scheduled, clothes picked out and dog sitter lined up. Maybe next year, got to run out of nieces sometime.

I'll be thinking about ya'll while I'm at the big hen party. Ride Safe, have a great time and hope to join you next year.

Married in Atlanta

Joe

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

Well Guys. Looks like I lost the family fight. My mom and wife tag teamed me about attending my niece's wedding. I finally raised the white flag and told them I would cancel a nice ride on some awesome mountain roads with a bunch of great guys so I could put on my black suit and attend another somber event.

I had my reservation, vacation scheduled, clothes picked out and dog sitter lined up. Maybe next year, got to run out of nieces sometime.

I'll be thinking about ya'll while I'm at the big hen party. Ride Safe, have a great time and hope to join you next year.

Married in Atlanta

Joe

1972 Eldorado

2004 Ballabio

"It's better to be a live dog than a dead lion"

BTW are you going to Burkesville next weekend?